Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Ridiculous proposition. New York isn't the only city that matters, and it doesn't just come down to NYC and Los Angeles.

Washington, DC, arguably is of more global consequence than either.

All of America's great cities likely offer something of crucial value. In Cleveland, Materion comes to mind.

https://materion.com/about

Without the heft of the nation, NYC would be a Singapore.
I'll piggy-back on your outstanding response. We are in a changing world now where (1) the US is in what would be hard to call anything but decline (so that heft of our nation may well not mean as much) and (2) a time where thinking nationally, operating within the American bubble, is not what it is about.

In other words, NYC no longer swims in an American sea where it is the Big Apple, the big kid on the block. As such, as it goes up against the other great cities of the world, it doesn't quite stand out the same way. London obviously is in no way in New York's shadow. And the rising cities of Asia, I am sure, think they are well on the way of eclipsing New York.

The rise of NYC paralleled the rise of the United States; their trajectories very much and understandably aligned. Indeed, no one would have considered NYC "the world's greatest city" until after WWII, an era when the US was at its zenith.

It's a fast changing world. A mere 100 years ago, NYC was hardly high on anyone's list of the world's greatest cities. Time increments, due to our technologies, become smaller and smaller. Who is to say 100 years from now, NYC will anyone's idea of "the world's greatest city" if such a title would even exist.

My suspicion: NYC will not be on that list, nor will any American city. The world is now far more focused on the"Old World", particularly the long stretch that ties the Far East with western Europe.

New York's greatness came at a time when the world centered around the North Atlantic. Dem days are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
For the life of me, I can't understand how you could have thought I was being sarcastic. I assure you that I was serious. Cleveland is a neat city. It has a lot going for it. I would say, more so than any other US city, Cleveland has maintained a wonderful sense of "grit" from its industrial past, a treasure trough of buildings any city would love to have.
I apologize. I thought you were being sarcastic because of the river burning reference. So, you have to forgive me when you been the butt of jokes for so long and ranked worst on almost every list by the media sometimes you don't know when someone is being serious or sarcastic. ��

Old 12-26-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I apologize. I thought you were being sarcastic because of the river burning reference. So, you have to forgive me when you been the butt of jokes for so long and ranked worst on almost every list by the media sometimes you don't know when someone is being serious or sarcastic. ��
No apology necessary. And my point was the burning cayahoga is ancient history. And if you think you've got problems, look at me. I wouldn't think of caring around a violin case when I am out of town....if I were wearing a Cubs, Sox, or Bears cap.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:07 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
I've personally never had any thoughts regarding Cleveland but a friend of mine moved there about 5 years and loves it. I've been meaning to visit but haven't had the chance to. Not sure if it does Cleveland any good but I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Columbus lately.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And you said you never heard anyone dissing Seattle as an example but they do. You kind of switch back and forth from “The Media†to “people.†As in “The Media says.....†and/or, “I’ve heard people say (about Cleveland)†or “I’ve never heard people say ( about many other places you’ve mentioned).â€

And you have brought this up in many posts and threads. I just don’t know what the point is. Every city has some sort of reputation, some good some not so good. Some cities are way overhyped, some are way underhyped. At the end of the day your opinion of where you live is all that matters because you’re the one living there, not the Media, not “people,†you.
Good points. All I was saying is that based on my experience that I never heard the media or people nationally diss certain cities all I hear is praises at lot of the time, I'm only speaking from my experience. I'm sure those cities get dissed too, but me being a native Clevelander I've heard more dissing of Cleveland over the years from various sources. Once again, I'm going by my experience.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
No apology necessary. And my point was the burning cayahoga is ancient history. And if you think you've got problems, look at me. I wouldn't think of caring around a violin case when I am out of town....if I were wearing a Cubs, Sox, or Bears cap.
Yeah but it seems like the rest of the country and some in your Chicago (particularly Cubs fans during the 2016 World Series) didn't get the memo that it was ancient history. But, what do I expect? Some still make fun of Cleveland for burning LeBron's jersey after he went to Miami ��. Some make it as if the river burned yesterday at least the country got over the Chicago Fire.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah but it seems like the rest of the country and some in your Chicago (particularly Cubs fans during the 2016 World Series) didn't get the memo that it was ancient history. But, what do I expect? Some still make fun of Cleveland for burning LeBron's jersey after he went to Miami ��. Some make it as if the river burned yesterday at least the country got over the Chicago Fire.
Apparently we did too: the city coucil exhonerated both Mrs. O'Leary and her cow.

Please understand that through the summer and fall of 2016, Cub fans were declared legally insane....and thus not responsible for their actions.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Apparently we did too: the city coucil exhonerated both Mrs. O'Leary and her cow.

Please understand that through the summer and fall of 2016, Cub fans were declared legally insane....and thus not responsible for their actions.
Then what were Cavs fans in the spring and summer of 2016? 😂 No, some of your fellow Cub fans were saying stuff to Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer "Bauer, can you pitch Game 6?" "Hope your river doesn't catch on fire." So, not all were insane. Plus, the nation got over the Chicago Fire they still haven't gotten over Cleveland's river being on fire.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:59 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
You've obviously never been born and raised or even lived in Chicago. I am 70 years old and when I tell people I was, that's mostly the first thing I still hear. That and did I know Al Capone.

When I say I now live in Cleveland, no one has ever mentioned the "mistake on the lake." In fact, I've even brought it up and so far I have not met anyone who has ever heard of the expression. I guess we run in different circles.

They think it's funny though, just like I think equating Chicago with O'Leary's cow and asking me if I knew Al Capone is funny because these are ancient history like the Lake thing so who cares anymore anyway? Lots of stuff has happened since then for heaven's sake. BTW, Clevelanders themselves are the ones who have told me about "The Mistake on the Lake" and laugh about it because now they can. Clevelanders I find for the most part have a good sense of humor. I think they like to tell the story. It's always good to be able to laugh at oneself because that neutralizes the situation.

My relatives are here from Toronto and even with all the snow they commented yesterday how much they like it here. I didn't even have to bribe them. They're staying at the Drury Hotel downtown and they like our downtown.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You've obviously never been born and raised or even lived in Chicago. I am 70 years old and when I tell people I was, that's mostly the first thing I still hear. That and did I know Al Capone.

When I say I now live in Cleveland, no one has ever mentioned the "mistake on the lake." In fact, I've even brought it up and so far I have not met anyone who has ever heard of the expression. I guess we run in different circles.

They think it's funny though, just like I think equating Chicago with O'Leary's cow and asking me if I knew Al Capone is funny because these are ancient history like the Lake thing so who cares anymore anyway? Lots of stuff has happened since then for heaven's sake. BTW, Clevelanders themselves are the ones who have told me about "The Mistake on the Lake" and laugh about it because now they can. Clevelanders I find for the most part have a good sense of humor. I think they like to tell the story. It's always good to be able to laugh at oneself because that neutralizes the situation.

My relatives are here from Toronto and even with all the snow they commented yesterday how much they like it here. I didn't even have to bribe them. They're staying at the Drury Hotel downtown and they like our downtown.
Wow! They still ask you about Al Capone? LOL! . That's ridiculous, that would be like someone asking me did I know any dumpers on the crew that caused the Cuyahoga fire. LOL! The reason why I keep bringing up "The Mistake on the Lake" because when the media talks about how Cleveland has turned around; they still mention that, the river catching on fire and even some those dumb "Hastily Cleveland Tourism" YouTube videos. In my experience, I never hear them talk about Al Capone or the cow causing the Chicago fire when they're doing stories on Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.