Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:15 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times

Advertisements

Sometimes here on CD or on social media people (some not all) put down certain cities to hype up their city. For example, some people from Minnesota put down Chicago to hype up Minnesota and vice versa, some people from Chicago put down other Midwestern cities to hype up Chicago, the coasts putting any city that isn't on the Coast to hype up their city, or some even say certain cities don't deserve nice things. So, why do people do it? I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
homerism and insecurity.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:20 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
I think cities (and their populace) that feel misunderstood generally do it the most.

Minnesota is a wonderful area that has largely been overshadowed due to it's isolation up north, it's weather, and the idea that it's a second tier Midwest city behind Chicago. The folks that I've met in MN love it, and I think they pride themselves on safety, education, health, etc. and genuinely value those things. I think they want people to understand the QOL up there, and feel like brand awareness is hugely important for others to understand what they have. That said, they'd likely target other cities, like a Chicago, in order to compare and contrast their offerings, current climate, and future opportunity. Simply saying 'Minneapolis is great' is fine, but doing it while using Chicago in parallel to bolster the statement is probably seen as more influential. So, they'll bring up murder rates, educational and budgetary issues, etc.

In Chicago, I think you have the opposite, right? It's always been the big brother, and with it's negative press, and concerning conditions, I think Chicagoan's are on the offensive. They want folks to understand that it's still the tier 1 American gem, and can do so by comparing everything it has with 'lesser' cities. More walkability, better food, more people, more higher education, better parks, better sports.

I just got in a dispute on another post when a Chicagoan asked "What is the Greatest American City?" and then proceeded to tell us why it is Chicago. I countered (as someone who grew up there), with a slew of reasons why I didn't think it was the greatest city based on his criteria. I put the city down (for me, in it's place) with what I believed to be factual rhetoric and rationale. Had I not put it down, I'm not sure I could have made as strong an argument.

It's simply a power move to drive home the value of ones own city/point.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
homerism and insecurity.
I get the homerism part. Why do you say insecurity? What are insecurities do people have about their respective cities or is it the people themselves?

Old 12-18-2017, 02:21 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I get the homerism part. Why do you say insecurity? What are insecurities do people have about their respective cities or is it the people themselves?
To some extent some people try to use their city to make themselves feel more important (see: if you can make it here you can make it anywhere) trope and if they live in a nicer/richer city then they are better by extension.

Although there are good reasons to not like a city (ex. A gay male might dislike Birmingham because of higher amounts of himophobia than in Providence) or you love hockey you might find Houston lacking.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
To some extent some people try to use their city to make themselves feel more important (see: if you can make it here you can make it anywhere) trope and if they live in a nicer/richer city then they are better by extension.

Although there are good reasons to not like a city (ex. A gay male might dislike Birmingham because of higher amounts of himophobia than in Providence) or you love hockey you might find Houston lacking.
That's a pretty good point. On the flip side, people who live in "less desirable cities" feel like that they're less than everybody else in America.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's a pretty good point. On the flip side, people who live in "less desirable cities" feel like that they're less than everybody else in America.

If your self worth is determined, or even influenced, by someone’s opinion of the city you live then there is more at play than just that. I live in a city that is often touted as “transformed” and then instantly referred to as dying, insular, and depressing. But I have a great life, great friends, great house, and a great job all for a fraction of the cost and hassle . I feel no less than any one else, as I actually feel like I figured out something others haven’t.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:26 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
It’s just like people that brag on what school their kid goes to, how good looking their spouse is, what importance their job or work field is....especially sad when their lot in life is mediocre. It’s insecurity. I have a relative that is this way, you know makes a good living and all...but there are many levels of wealth so you sometimes end up looking naive. They’re just homers, no one really believes City B with 1/3 the GDP, population whatever metric is actually more important than City A...

Wow did I go off track! Anyway it doesn’t hurt anyone to have opinions it’s just fingers on a keyboard...

Old 12-18-2017, 05:11 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
It’s just like people that brag on what school their kid goes to, how good looking their spouse is, what importance their job or work field is....especially sad when their lot in life is mediocre. It’s insecurity. I have a relative that is this way, you know makes a good living and all...but there are many levels of wealth so you sometimes end up looking naive. They’re just homers, no one really believes City B with 1/3 the GDP, population whatever metric is actually more important than City A...

Wow did I go off track! Anyway it doesn’t hurt anyone to have opinions it’s just fingers on a keyboard...
Maybe economically, but culturally size=/= importance.

Springfield, MA is more culturally important to the United States than say Omaha, NE or even Kansas City. Between Dr. Suess, Basketball, Volleyball, Webster Dictionary etc.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM

155 posts, read 154,281 times
Where "you" live is an extension of who/what "you" are, therefore if it is not good enough than you are not good enough. One of the many factors that goes into building and maintaining the false self that we call "me", which is responsible for nearly every human problem there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.