Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:47 PM

88 posts, read 94,126 times

Advertisements

I live in Ohio of all places. . .and I grew up thinking that Ohio didn't have anything nice or worth seeing. I don't live in the middle of a cornfield either but I just assumed Ohio was plain and basic compared to the rest of the country. You'd think that the 7th most populated State in the country would be very prominent or popular. For Example, If someone told me that they were moving to Ohio or just moved here, I and others (not everyone) would laugh and wonder "Why here?" Now of course, I regard my state more highly, especially having traveled all over the country and over seas. Still, I tend to think of my state as inferior, a lot of times and am surprised when someone moves here, even from the coast. It's just natural, especially for people living here to have that attitude. I don't know how people on the coasts think of their own states. having been to California more times than I can count, they don't like it when you bash "the best state in the country." Meanwhile Ohio, is bashed and underrated in many ways sometimes for actual reasons, even by its residents. "We only matter during elections," "Ohio is boring," or "Ohio is the most average state ever." Anyway do you feel the same way about your state. How do react when your state gets bashed? Is your state underrated or "nonexistent" in the eyes of the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 05:09 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I can relate. I am embarrassed to live in Oklahoma City. The city has some very unflattering stereotypes that are exaggerated but aren't really that far off from reality. There is a reason it loses nearly every poll in City vs City by a wide margin, even against cities it should theoretically compete with. Specifically, this city is heavily associated with extreme social conservatism, closed mindedness, religious fundamentalism, and downright bigotry and I feel like I am associated with those things just because I live here. Out of the Top 50 metro areas I don't think any of them punch farther below their weight than OKC. It's one of the Top 50 largest metros in the country but a lot of times it feels like I am living in a small, rural Southern town. Everything here seems about 30 years behind the times and in some ways feels almost like a twilight zone. In terms of how locals think about it, you have two different types of people. You have people that are always down on it, complain about living here, make it out to be worse than it is, complain about how boring it is, oppressive it is, etc. And then on the other side you have the eternal optimists who make the city out to be the next, undiscovered boomtown and refuse to admit that the place has some serious problems. Neither outlook is going to help bring the place into the 21st century.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Nope. I love where I live and am proud to live here. Minnesota has a lot going for it. Great economy and quality of life and as long as those living south of the 43rd parallel believe we are a frozen wasteland, it will stay like that I don't want a ton of yuppies moving here we got enough in Edina as it is.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can relate. I am embarrassed to live in Oklahoma City. The city has some very unflattering stereotypes that are exaggerated but aren't really that far off from reality. There is a reason it loses nearly every poll in City vs City by a wide margin, even against cities it should theoretically compete with. Specifically, this city is heavily associated with extreme social conservatism, closed mindedness, religious fundamentalism, and downright bigotry and I feel like I am associated with those things just because I live here.
Same deal with Midland, Texas. I find most people in the rest of the state find the level of conservationism and religiosity here very intimidating (and keep in mind this is a Red state.) Midland certainly makes pretty much anywhere else in the state look like a Liberal paradise.

When people ask where I'm from, I'll usually tell them I recently moved to Midland. And naturally, they follow up with where I moved from. And I tell them before Midland I was in San Francisco. At this point, they either breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not some ultra conservative wack job or end up even more confused why someone would move from one of the most liberal cities to one of the most conservative cities in this country.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Same deal with Midland, Texas. I find most people in the rest of the state find the level of conservationism and religiosity here very intimidating (and keep in mind this is a Red state.) Midland certainly makes pretty much anywhere else in the state look like a Liberal paradise.

When people ask where I'm from, I'll usually tell them I recently moved to Midland. And naturally, they follow up with where I moved from. And I tell them before Midland I was in San Francisco. At this point, they either breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not some ultra conservative wack job or end up even more confused why someone would move from one of the most liberal cities to one of the most conservative cities in this country.
Yeah I can relate. I typically tell people I am not originally from Oklahoma and have lived other places. I would say the belt from Midland-Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, over to Fort Smith AR is a Bible Belt within the Bible Belt. The level of conservatism and religious fundamentalism that dominates this part of the country is a culture shock even to people elsewhere in the South. Dallas feels very liberal in comparison.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can relate. I am embarrassed to live in Oklahoma City. The city has some very unflattering stereotypes that are exaggerated but aren't really that far off from reality. There is a reason it loses nearly every poll in City vs City by a wide margin, even against cities it should theoretically compete with. Specifically, this city is heavily associated with extreme social conservatism, closed mindedness, religious fundamentalism, and downright bigotry and I feel like I am associated with those things just because I live here. Out of the Top 50 metro areas I don't think any of them punch farther below their weight than OKC. It's one of the Top 50 largest metros in the country but a lot of times it feels like I am living in a small, rural Southern town. Everything here seems about 30 years behind the times and in some ways feels almost like a twilight zone. In terms of how locals think about it, you have two different types of people. You have people that are always down on it, complain about living here, make it out to be worse than it is, complain about how boring it is, oppressive it is, etc. And then on the other side you have the eternal optimists who make the city out to be the next, undiscovered boomtown and refuse to admit that the place has some serious problems. Neither outlook is going to help bring the place into the 21st century.
I grew up in Tulsa and had the same feelings about Oklahoma (even though Tulsa is nowhere as bad as OKC). Oklahoma is insular, close-minded, anti-intellectual, content in their own mediocrity. I left as soon as I could to Virginia, which I adore (I love the mountains, the history, the values, the community spirit, the good governance, the proximity to DC, the beaches, the people). You should leave Oklahoma. That place is in a race with Kansas to be the worst state in the Union on every metric.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I grew up in Tulsa and had the same feelings about Oklahoma. Insular, close-minded, anti-intellectual, content in their own mediocrity. I left as soon as I could to Virginia, which I adore (I love the mountains, the history, the values, the community spirit, the good governance, the proximity to DC, the beaches, the people). You should leave Oklahoma. That place is in a race with Kansas to be the worst state in the Union on every metric.
You nailed it. I left for North Carolina and experienced the three best years of my life. I moved back in 2012 and it was the worst decision I ever made. I'm stuck in Oklahoma for at least two more years but believe me, if it wasn't for bad decisions I made trapping me here, I would have been out long ago. I like Tulsa a little better than OKC but I think both Oklahoma cities leave so much to be desired even compared to midsized cities in other states. It isn't just the amenities but the culture. The best way to describe it is Oklahoma has never left the '80s.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Nope, no embarrassment or shame or inferiority complex here at all, about living in northeast Texas. I love it here. Texas is my second favorite state.

OP, by the way, I like Ohio. I could live there and be happy. I have several family members who live in Ohio and I always enjoy visiting them. I'm pleasantly impressed with the cities and I think the countryside is gorgeous. And the people tend to be very friendly.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Not at all. Living in Atlanta and experiencing all the wonderful things happening here is a daily adventure. And living in my other home of St. Simons Island is nothing short of idyllic.
I've got it made.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:16 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
I've found areas and people in every single city that I loved. From Ballard, Seattle, to East Grand Rapid, MI, to Tremont, Cleveland, to Midtown, ATL, to La Crosse, WI, to Santa Ana, CA, to Alexandria, VA, to Keene, NH, and everywhere in between.

There are neighborhoods/suburbs that I've loved in every single area I've been able to see. Hoping to see many more!

Cheers and happy holidays to everyone out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.