Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:16 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,229 times

Advertisements

I have been curious about Philadelphia, having never been there. I can't afford to be going to visit a lot of cities so am trying to do research and talk with people too, maybe make some connections too. I'm not opposed to a warm climate city but not interested in the South as far a s the Southern culture. I've lived in it for 15 years but haven't ever clicked in it. I don't know if it is because of having lived in Miami, a real international city, or because of my own ethnic roots and exposure to things more with European roots. The one place i did visit twice that's not just a warm but hot city was Phoenix. I visited once in April and once in December. I had a job offer back then and didn't take it because of the fear thing. People I knew talked me out of going there with the gloom and doom saying what if you go there and don't like it, you'll have to come back thousands of miles. But now, I feel like golly, we have to take a chance in life too. I've lived the opposite, staying in the familiar and not taking a leap of faith and trying something new.

I would love to be near Washington, D.C. because of all the fabulous museums there, but to live anywhere near there is extremely expensive. I haven't been to Cleveland in several years and hear the crime is really bad, but then as far as that goes, crime is everywhere. I'd like to find a place where I can still work and then not have to move again to retire.

Kyle19125, I wanted to reply to you directly to chat a bit about Central Florida but didn't see an icon to do that. Everyone else, I really appreciate all your thoughts. I'm researching them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 03:21 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cost of living would be higher in those 2 places than Cleveland.
She didn't mention a lower COL being a priority in her post.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:04 PM

Oh yes, cost of living is very important, Nanny Goat.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Oh yes, cost of living is very important, Nanny Goat.
Cleveland would be lowest then, but it also depends on how you live--house, townhouse, apartment, location within the city/area, lots of variables always that you probably know.

Phoenix, I lived there for years. The heat is pretty oppressive from Mid May to early October. The rest of the year is nice. Lots of heavy traffic--big metro. Lots of concrete, not much nature unless you go further into desert. The metro is huge. There's always Prescott, Flagg, smaller cities like Jerome and Bisbee. Good luck in your search, it's not easy!

Old 12-26-2017, 12:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
I have been curious about Philadelphia, having never been there. I can't afford to be going to visit a lot of cities so am trying to do research and talk with people too, maybe make some connections too. I'm not opposed to a warm climate city but not interested in the South as far a s the Southern culture. I've lived in it for 15 years but haven't ever clicked in it. I don't know if it is because of having lived in Miami, a real international city, or because of my own ethnic roots and exposure to things more with European roots. The one place i did visit twice that's not just a warm but hot city was Phoenix. I visited once in April and once in December. I had a job offer back then and didn't take it because of the fear thing. People I knew talked me out of going there with the gloom and doom saying what if you go there and don't like it, you'll have to come back thousands of miles. But now, I feel like golly, we have to take a chance in life too. I've lived the opposite, staying in the familiar and not taking a leap of faith and trying something new.

I would love to be near Washington, D.C. because of all the fabulous museums there, but to live anywhere near there is extremely expensive. I haven't been to Cleveland in several years and hear the crime is really bad, but then as far as that goes, crime is everywhere. I'd like to find a place where I can still work and then not have to move again to retire.

Kyle19125, I wanted to reply to you directly to chat a bit about Central Florida but didn't see an icon to do that. Everyone else, I really appreciate all your thoughts. I'm researching them all.
By all means, give a visit to the Philly forums, just to ask a few questions. They're very helpful and informative.. Plus there's a few posters who'll keep reality in in its true perspective. Cause there are a few who'll make it out to be wonderland central... It's not, but it's a great & bustling city with many museums, theaters, restaurants, neighborhoods, parks, nightlife, ethnicities, etc;. Plus you're only a few hours from DC for day/weekend trips. Also only 1.5 hours from NYC for the same, but the city of Philadelphia itself contains a whole lot to see and do

Old 12-27-2017, 10:31 AM

I Googled Philadelphia yesterday after seeing your comments, Lenses & Lights, and wow, there sure is a lot to do there! There is plenty in music - symphony, Pops - art museums, Reading Terminal Market - festivals all year, etc. Then last night I saw the weather reports on the national news and all that snow in Erie. I researched how near Erie is and was glad to see it's a seven hours' drive.

Nanny Goat, I thought the desert was beautiful too, particularly the most amazing sunsets I've ever seen. The traffic and interstate in Phoenix wasn't appealing at all. You're right, it's not an easy search.

I guess all in all, I want to feel like I belong and can make some friends. I have a few friends here but not in my age bracket. I see them probably every six months, as they're too busy with their lives. When I lived in Cleveland, there were places to go dance in area hotels for those older, like me. There is nothing here. I noticed Philadelphia also has more for Baby Boomers. Here, I don't even fit in at the churches. I am Catholic, and the offerings here for me are few. In other cities, they had more churches to pick from too. Miami, where I grew up, has a lot more Catholic churches. Here it's more Baptist and Christian churches. Nothing wrong with that but just not me. People have tried to get me to change too - you know that "you ought to come to my church sometime" thing.

If I were happy in my work, that would help my overall demeanor, but it's a highly stressful work environment - small nonprofit, being in the middle too in my immediate department, working in a bad neighborhood and expected to be there too at least an evening per week.

I need a new environment.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 AM

401 posts, read 331,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^This and perhaps cities with college town sections, but with other viable/“interesting” neighborhoods or things going on. Cities like Pittsburgh(Oakland, etc) or Buffalo(Elmwood Village, etc) could fit in this regard and both have a relatively strong Eastern European presence. Both also offer the things the OP is looking for and at a relatively affordable cost.

There are other Midwestern and Interior Northeastern cities that could fit as well.
In that case (and because you don't mind the cold) maybe you'd like Providence.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
Please keep in mind that at age 60 the job market will be pretty difficult for you no matter where you go. If you can hang in there a few more years and then retire, a big move would be easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.