Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,073,017 times

Advertisements

Never knew about Portland having single level apartments. Then again, I haven't checked around as thoroughly within the area short of those few times over the past decade that I've parked at the truckstop and ridden my bike around there.

As far as the Denver metro goes, there seems to be enough land to place some ground-level only apartments. But since the popularity of the area with the tech/educated snobs doesn't seem to be decreasing, you all may be right about the developers and such wanting to get more bang-for-the-buck. In other words, when one takes the Denver metro into consideration, one might as well remember that if you don't like what's on the menu there, FIND ANOTHER RESTAURANT.
All in all, the Denver metro area seemed like an affordable place back in 2010/2011 when I was routinely delivering bottled water loads from Cabazon up to the various, grocery warehouses in Denver and Aurora. But I jumped on the ball too late, the ship already sailed, and the sticker shock is definitely tasing me in the nether regions.

Other spots I'm beginning to consider apart from Phoenix, is Flagstaff. I would imagine there would be some "ground level only" apartments there for a decent, $500-$800/mo price. That and I see Flagstaff as kind of a smaller version of Boulder.

As for the trucking outfits, I only do/consider daycab and local jobs where I'm either home everyday, or every other day. Park the the truck at the yard, clock out, and bicycle/walk home. That "gone for several months at a time/hitting different states every day" thing is for noobs and those 20 year guys that have no life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
There are some around my area and housing isn't that expensive here.

https://www.huntersridgeranches.com/Floor-plans.aspx

There are also some trucking companies in the area; this place had a "CDL A Driver Wanted" sign out last week:

https://www.quicktransportsolutions....dot-923630.php

Hey, we aren't L.A. but the weather is interesting here and it's affordable
You're not the first person to push the northeast on me. I'd probably just buy a trailer and keep it packed, sleep on the floor for several months. That way if I had to leave in a hurry, I could just roll out.
After living in the southwest all my life, that part of the country would definitely seem like an alien land to me. Still seems too green, too snowy, too metro-ish/post-industrial for my taste.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 AM

Well, the endless search in the Denver area for the non multi story apartments has ceased. Last, several months of repeated searches have pretty much put me on the no-go list. I should probably do more research on the area and make as many trips up before even thinking about putting in job applications and getting calls back.
That said, I guess I'm a stuck pebble until I finally find the right area with the right digs.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:21 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,804,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Land is too valuable in the Denver area to not maximize the number of rental units by having multiple stories.
This. Any place that is truly desirable to live in will have higher land values and super low density one story buildings don’t pencil out.

Go to some place no one wants to live and is not growing and you’ll find your ‘50s highway motel architecture living.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
This. Any place that is truly desirable to live in will have higher land values and super low density one story buildings don’t pencil out.

Go to some place no one wants to live and is not growing and you’ll find your ‘50s highway motel architecture living.
I just see buildings like that as too depressing. Some people see them as some sort of hotspot to have parties and a good life. Meanwhile, I'd be sticking to whatever ground floor unit I could get for my own personal well-being.
Of course I go and get more of a run down for these units and it seems like the higher up in floors you get, the cheaper they are.

I feel as though many people are being forced to like these places. "This is all you're going to get, so either get with the program or take a hike!!"

Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

You have obviously never been to Portland, Oregon because the one story apartments there are are very nice. I have lived in several in one of Portland’s most trendiest neighborhoods. They are all over the city. They do not even faintly resemble 50’s highway motel architecture.

Here’s an example. If you enlarge the picture you can see an example of just one type of one level architecture. There is a large back yard in the back.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2625...&client=safari

Last edited by Minervah; 02-16-2018 at 08:55 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You have obviously never been to Portland, Oregon because the one story apartments there are are very nice. I have lived in several in one of Portland’s most trendiest neighborhoods. They are all over the city. They do not even faintly resemble 50’s highway motel architecture.

Here’s an example. If you enlarge the picture you can see an example of just one type of one level architecture. There is a large back yard in the back.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2625...&client=safari
With my recent readings of SM Stirling's "Emberverse" series, Portland seems quite all right.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:02 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
I see plenty of suburban and even urban apartment complexes that are 2 stories (even in extremely urban Brooklyn neighborhoods), but I've never seen 1 story. I think that would defeat the purpose of an apartment.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:33 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,364,557 times
Los Angeles and probably other nearby counties has some of single story apartment buildings called "courtyard bungalows" OR "bungalow courts" built in the pre-WW2 era in spanish colonial or crasftsman architectural style, but I live near one that was built in the post war styles. I dont really see it that often in post world war since architecture styles changed and you see more Dingbat style apartments where parking are lower level and apartments above or/and in back.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:54 PM

Hesperia, Victorville, Apple Valley, and now Clovis NM have all had the types of apartments I'm describing in wide availability. I guess the reason I'm attached to them as I am is due to having grown up within them.
Even at my age, the multi story thing is a bit hard to swallow and adapt to.
Feels less like "home" and more like a motel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.