U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which Cities are Northeast?
Boston 144 92.31%
Providence 137 87.82%
Hartford 139 89.10%
New York City 139 89.10%
Philadelphia 124 79.49%
Pittsburgh 54 34.62%
Baltimore 81 51.92%
Washington D.C. 78 50.00%
Buffalo 61 39.10%
Cleveland 10 6.41%
Cincinnati 6 3.85%
Columbus 5 3.21%
Charleston, WV 6 3.85%
Seattle 4 2.56%
Other 7 4.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,241 posts, read 4,588,332 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I think it makes perfect sense that there is an area where the Northeast and Midwest sort of mix. Seriously, its not as though you cross into Ohio, and WHAM, flat farmland populated by stout but attractive hearty blue-eyed folk. And ten minutes ago everyone's last name ended in a vowel or "-stein!" What the hell happened? ***
Your right, the change doesn't occur right at the border, but you might be surprised how significant some of those borders really are. The city of Pittsburgh is brick and narrow, but get up to the far northern reaches of the metro toward Ohio, and you definitely have a Midwestern flare. The southern parts of the metro begin to feel a lot like WV.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 8,296,055 times
Reputation: 739
Boston, Providence, Hartford, New York City, Philadelphia, DC, and Baltimore.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,050 posts, read 11,112,917 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Boston, Providence, Hartford, New York City, Philadelphia, DC, and Baltimore.
Agreed
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 12:06 PM
 
5,231 posts, read 9,003,786 times
Reputation: 2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
That whole thing was meant to be an approximation. It was an admittedly vague, off-the-top-of-my-head sort of thing. I didn't break out a map and start declaring particular counties or cities to be in the Northeast or not.

I think it makes perfect sense that there is an area where the Northeast and Midwest sort of mix. Seriously, its not as though you cross into Ohio, and WHAM, flat farmland populated by stout but attractive hearty blue-eyed folk. And ten minutes ago everyone's last name ended in a vowel or "-stein!" What the hell happened? ***

*** I realize I'm dealing in largely untrue stereotypes. I exaggerate to make a point.
You seem to be comparing rural Midwest with urban Northeast.

OK, let's do it this way then: Geographers and the US Census bureau break the area of the country you are talking about into two regions: Northeast and Midwest. Of those two areas, which one does Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh belong in? Or are you suggesting a new, third area?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,177 posts, read 8,705,326 times
Reputation: 1449
I think some may be confusing the northeast corridor with the northeast. Pittsburg and Buffalo are both part of the northeast. It is obvious they are. They have much more in common with the northeast than the midwest. Where it gets confusing for me is that I am originally from Michigan and I always thought I was from the Great Lakes--not the midwest. And... I always thought Buffalo was also a part of the Great Lakes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 PM
 
Location: New England & The Maritimes
2,118 posts, read 2,247,958 times
Reputation: 1114
If the "Great Lakes" or "Rust Belt" are an area then Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Rochester all belong in that but if not I gueeeeeess they are northeast. I personally think of the northeast as New England, New York about as far as the finger lakes, Penn about just as far, and Jersey. Maryland, Deleware and Northern Virginia I'll consider borderlands along with western NY and PA.

Someone was disagreeing with another poster for choosing arbitary boundaries in Ny and PA but you have to choose somewhere. Upstate NY is northeastern I guess but certainly like I began with, if you call the great lakes a region it fits with that better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
97 posts, read 520,040 times
Reputation: 55
Who was the 1 person that voted for Charleston?
And why would 4 people vote Seattle.

I do know that most people in West Virginia call soft drinks pop, but also people in southwest Virginia, and half of Kentucky also call it pop. The rest of Virginia calls it soda. Does that make those states Northeastern or Midwestern? I certainly don't think so!

Last edited by Colby "The Punk" Wells; 03-24-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,177 posts, read 8,705,326 times
Reputation: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I think some may be confusing the northeast corridor with the northeast. Pittsburg and Buffalo are both part of the northeast. It is obvious they are. They have much more in common with the northeast than the midwest. Where it gets confusing for me is that I am originally from Michigan and I always thought I was from the Great Lakes--not the midwest. And... I always thought Buffalo was also a part of the Great Lakes.

Oops--misspelled Pittsburgh--Sorry (actually, it was a typo because I had to much coffee this morning)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Location: outer boroughs, NYC
905 posts, read 1,759,403 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You seem to be comparing rural Midwest with urban Northeast.

OK, let's do it this way then: Geographers and the US Census bureau break the area of the country you are talking about into two regions: Northeast and Midwest. Of those two areas, which one does Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh belong in? Or are you suggesting a new, third area?
Heh, yeah, I suppose I was.

I'm suggesting a new, third area. To be honest, I always thought of those areas as closer to the Midwest, but clearly a number of people disagree with that and I can see why. It's unclear, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM
 
Location: outer boroughs, NYC
905 posts, read 1,759,403 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Your right, the change doesn't occur right at the border, but you might be surprised how significant some of those borders really are. The city of Pittsburgh is brick and narrow, but get up to the far northern reaches of the metro toward Ohio, and you definitely have a Midwestern flare. The southern parts of the metro begin to feel a lot like WV.
Interesting point. I'll defer to you on that one, seeing as you actually live in the area.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top