Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cities are Northeast?
Boston 145 92.36%
Providence 138 87.90%
Hartford 140 89.17%
New York City 140 89.17%
Philadelphia 125 79.62%
Pittsburgh 55 35.03%
Baltimore 81 51.59%
Washington D.C. 78 49.68%
Buffalo 62 39.49%
Cleveland 10 6.37%
Cincinnati 6 3.82%
Columbus 5 3.18%
Charleston, WV 6 3.82%
Seattle 4 2.55%
Other 7 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It may seem that way from your vantage point in Silver Spring, CHIP72, but it obviously does not seem that way to the inhabitants of those areas.
I just moved from the Harrisburg area, am originally from eastern PA (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area), and most importantly went to graduate school in western PA (at IUP) and college in rural central PA (at Juniata), so I wouldn't say I have an uninformed opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I wonder who the geographers are. I heard of the supposed Chi-Pits megalopolis--but the CSA's from Chicago to Pittsburgh don't touch. Actually, Pittsburgh's and DC's CSA almost touch now, but the furthest you'll get into the Midwest from Pittsburgh is Cleveland.
Uh, no. Pittsburgh's and Washington's CSA's don't come anywhere close to touching, not with the Appalachians in between and Cumberland and Johnstown being the largest metro areas (both under 100,000 people) in the 250 mile or so distance between the Steel City and the nation's capital.

FWIW, my graduate degree is in geography.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I just moved from the Harrisburg area, am originally from eastern PA (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area), and most importantly went to graduate school in western PA (at IUP) and college in rural central PA (at Juniata), so I wouldn't say I have an uninformed opinion.
None of those places are Pittsburgh, though. Indiana, PA is barely western Pennsylvania. Though I bet you went to school with a lot of Pittsburghers at IUP!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Uh, no. Pittsburgh's and Washington's CSA's don't come anywhere close to touching, not with the Appalachians in between and Cumberland and Johnstown being the largest metro areas (both under 100,000 people) in the 250 mile or so distance between the Steel City and the nation's capital.

FWIW, my graduate degree is in geography.

They look pretty damn close to me....

Image:Combined Statistical Areas.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S. as the crow flies, DC and Pittsburgh are about 190 miles from each other.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 AM

The DC CSA incorporates some areas in the eastern West Virginia panhandle that just barely meet the definition for inclusion in the CSA, primarily because those WV counties west of Martinsburg are very low in population but have a high percentage of their few residents that commute to DC. The commuter shed for DC extends far out from the city due to very high housing prices. Actually, I think the WV counties are in the Hagerstown-Martinsburg MSA, which has ties to but is separate from the Washington MSA. (If Winchester, VA has its own MSA - I can't remember if it does or not, though I do know it met the 50,000 person threshold for classification as an MSA in the 2000 Census - some of those WV counties west of Martinsburg may actually be in with Winchester rather than Hagerstown-Martinsburg.)

Also, a county is typically included in a CSA/MSA if ANY part of the urbanized area for a city extends into that county. Sometimes the portion of the county including the CSA/MSA is very small. For example, the portion of the Pittsburgh MSA that extends into Fayette County (Uniontown/Connellsville) is very small; it touches the northwestern portion of the county along the Monongahela River. (Uniontown also actually qualified as its own MSA in the 2000 Census.)

Finally, I don't know of any major road that connects DC to Pittsburgh via the shortest distance between the CSA's. The road probably everybody uses for most of the distance for travel between DC and Pittsburgh is I-70, and there is a lot of rural areas and a few small towns (Somerset, Bedford, etc.) between west of Hagerstown and east of Greensburg, which isn't exactly a short distance.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
None of those places are Pittsburgh, though. Indiana, PA is barely western Pennsylvania. Though I bet you went to school with a lot of Pittsburghers at IUP!
Well of course Harrisburg and the Lehigh Valley aren't western PA, they ARE part of the Northeast. By contrast, I don't believe western PA, based on my time at IUP, is part of the Northeast; it is something distinctly different. Western PA is NOT the Midwest though either.

You know, A LOT of people I know denigrate the physical attractiveness of women in Pittsburgh and western PA, but I sure saw a lot of attractive-looking females when I was at IUP. That being the case, I have to agree that perhaps Indiana, PA really isn't western PA.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
The DC CSA incorporates some areas in the eastern West Virginia panhandle that just barely meet the definition for inclusion in the CSA, primarily because those WV counties west of Martinsburg are very low in population but have a high percentage of their few residents that commute to DC. The commuter shed for DC extends far out from the city due to very high housing prices. Actually, I think the WV counties are in the Hagerstown-Martinsburg MSA, which has ties to but is separate from the Washington MSA. (If Winchester, VA has its own MSA - I can't remember if it does or not, though I do know it met the 50,000 person threshold for classification as an MSA in the 2000 Census - some of those WV counties west of Martinsburg may actually be in with Winchester rather than Hagerstown-Martinsburg.)

Also, a county is typically included in a CSA/MSA if ANY part of the urbanized area for a city extends into that county. Sometimes the portion of the county including the CSA/MSA is very small. For example, the portion of the Pittsburgh MSA that extends into Fayette County (Uniontown/Connellsville) is very small; it touches the northwestern portion of the county along the Monongahela River. (Uniontown also actually qualified as its own MSA in the 2000 Census.)
They look pretty damn close to me....

Image:Combined Statistical Areas.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Finally, I don't know of any major road that connects DC to Pittsburgh via the shortest distance between the CSA's. The road probably everybody uses for most of the distance for travel between DC and Pittsburgh is I-70, and there is a lot of rural areas and a few small towns (Somerset, Bedford, etc.) between west of Hagerstown and east of Greensburg, which isn't exactly a short distance.
You're right about this; I wasn't thinking in the context of CSA, but in the sense that a plane ride should be about 200 miles.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
On the whole economic connectivity issue, I think it is interesting to note (for what it's worth), that three of the top ten cities in Pittsburgh's hinterworld are: (1) Washington DC; (4) Philadelphia; (7) Boston (three of the five East Coast cities). The top American cities in New York's hinterworld are: (1) Washington DC; (3) Boston; (4) Chicago; (11) Pittsburgh.
Interesting! Say more about that. I haven't heard of hinterworlds. Who did these rankings?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Washington DC & Baltimore according to Urban planners, and Geographers are part of the northeastern 'megalopolis' or also called the 'BosWash' corridor. Though today it actually extends from Washington to Portland Maine.

Although DC and Baltimore have somewhat of A more 'southern flavor' they are still more culturally and economically connected to the cities up the coast, then the south.

Pittsburgh is technically a northeastern City, but Geographers connect it more to the Midwest culturally and economically then to the northeast. The same holds true for Buffalo- which also has some ties to Canada (Hamilton & Southern Ontario)
What are Buffalo's ties to Hamilton? Just its closeness?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It may seem that way from your vantage point in Silver Spring, CHIP72, but it obviously does not seem that way to the inhabitants of those areas.
Absolutely correct!

CHIP72, here's a way to check this out. Why not post a poll at the Pittsburgh and Buffalo subforums and ask those who live in those metros to pick which region they believe they are a part of..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.