Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Residential vegetation types: Which do you like better?
WESTERN CONIFEROUS FOREST 12 16.00%
DESERT 6 8.00%
MEDITERRANEAN AND WESTERN OAK PRAIRIE 4 5.33%
MIDWEST/NORTHEAST DECIDUOUS FOREST 24 32.00%
SOUTHERN MIXED FOREST 20 26.67%
(SUB)TROPICAL 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
What about the broadleaf evergreens that grow in the South, such as the live oak, southern magnolia, red bay, etc?
What about them? I like them more than pine trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What about them? I like them more than pine trees.
Well, then just know that these broadleaf evergreens constitute a significant portion of the "Southern Mixed Forest", especially along the coast. The dominance switches from pines to broadleaf evergreens to deciduous trees, depending on the soil.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Well, then just know that these broadleaf evergreens constitute a significant portion of the "Southern Mixed Forest", especially along the coast. The dominance switches from pines to broadleaf evergreens to deciduous trees, depending on the soil.
If you say so....

Old 01-17-2018, 03:42 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yeah but that means in the East in the winter all the trees are bare sticks and the ground is brown too. At least out West the trees are green in the summer even though the grass is brown. In winter out West the grass is a nice shade of green. So you get green all year.
Not in the northern mixed forest. It is mostly coniferous with deciduous mixed in, so lots of winter greenery with some higher quality ambient sunlight reflected off deeper snow cover.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'm in the northeast. We have 11 maple and ash trees in our yard, which are too big and will come down before they fall on the house.

They will be replaced with a single sugar maple, and an apple tree, a hardy cherry and a hardy peach trees. I also have grape and berry bushes and strawberries. I really like beauty that also provides good food.

I do like that the foothills,around here are mixed with bare deciduous and conifer and various pine trees so that the area in winter isn't all dead looking, there is the evergreen pines in there too for some green amongst the white.

I'm not at all fond of desert areas, and Mediterranean does look to spare to me as noted.

I don't mind palms as long as,there are short and tall and coconut palms, a mixed variety. There is one hardy palm I'd have here, but my OH doesn't care for it.

Trees are one thing but I like some flowers too. My oh is in charge of that, in front while I grow things that we,can eat as well, I like double duty.

When we retire south, I'll have to figure out other plants thst have edibles for thst climate zone too.

Oh well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I don't know why you wouldn't just trim the trees substantially away from the house instead of removing them. Most people like a well shaded yard as it cuts down on heating and cooling costs for the property and adds to property value.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not in the northern mixed forest. It is mostly coniferous with deciduous mixed in, so lots of winter greenery with some higher quality ambient sunlight reflected off deeper snow cover.
When I was in Quebec one summer, I drove as far north as I could because I wanted to experience the coniferous "taiga" forest. I have to say it was a big disappointment. The trees were half the size of the loblolly pines back in the Southeast. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't "ugly" or anything, it just wasn't very special and everyone had told me "man you've gotta go see the scenery in Canada, it's breathtaking." I actually think the best scenery in the US is in CA. When I go to California and see the Sequoias or the Redwoods, those are magnificent and definitely "beat" anything in the SE. Yes there are portions of the Med zone where the forests are spectacular but they are not really "in the city". Whereas in Atlanta the forest is totally surrounding the city. It's a nice setting you must admit.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
When I was in Quebec one summer, I drove as far north as I could because I wanted to experience the coniferous "taiga" forest. I have to say it was a big disappointment. The trees were half the size of the loblolly pines back in the Southeast. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't "ugly" or anything, it just wasn't very special and everyone had told me "man you've gotta go see the scenery in Canada, it's breathtaking." I actually think the best scenery in the US is in CA. When I go to California and see the Sequoias or the Redwoods, those are magnificent and definitely "beat" anything in the SE. Yes there are portions of the Med zone where the forests are spectacular but they are not really "in the city". Whereas in Atlanta the forest is totally surrounding the city. It's a nice setting you must admit.
For some nice northern mixed forests, (most old growth forest was unfortunately logged in the late 19th and early 20th centuries), I like the NEK of Vermont and northern New Hampshire. The Boundary Waters of Minnesota, Arrowhead region of Minnesota have nice spruce/fir forests. North-central WI has nice mixed forests of much taller balsam fir and red spruce along with pine. The UP of Michigan is a very nice default option as well. The Adirondack Park often has nicer scenery than many areas of Ontario or Quebec as well.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:22 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
One thing I like about deciduous forests (and this is coming after growing up in the northeast, then moving to Seattle and Spokane for 27 years, and then moving here to KC), is that they look more lush for some reason. I think it's, 1) the lighter green leaves compared to most conifers, and 2) at least on the west coast, summer tends to be a dry season so the time of year when everything is at its greenest, it's also at its driest. In the eastern US summer is a wet season so you get green *and* wet all at once. I think it was something I didn't appreciate until I moved away from the eastern US for a while, and then moved back.
When you go into the forests in the PNW they still remain relatively lush in summer, except for a few species such as Indian plum that start to turn yellow. But even then if you go near the coast it's still very lush.

This was taken in Aug 2013 in the Hoh rainforest, still very green and lush.
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8639...7i13312!8i6656

Here is another one taken in Aug 2013 near the coast and all the leaves are wet.
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6089...7i13312!8i6656

And here is a park in Seattle taken in Jun 2016, looks fairly lush to me (though the grass tends to turn yellow in July).
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5595...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I'm very familiar with that, thanks. That coastal strip that stays lush in the summer is very narrow. Plus, I've been there during the summer and it still seems a bit dry to me.

I think one other reason I don't find coniferous forest to be as "lush" as deciduous ones is, for some reason the dark green colors of coniferous trees just don't seem as "lush" to me compared to the lighter green colors you get with deciduous trees. Just my personal take on things.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I'm very familiar with that, thanks. That coastal strip that stays lush in the summer is very narrow. Plus, I've been there during the summer and it still seems a bit dry to me.

I think one other reason I don't find coniferous forest to be as "lush" as deciduous ones is, for some reason the dark green colors of coniferous trees just don't seem as "lush" to me compared to the lighter green colors you get with deciduous trees. Just my personal take on things.
I would say KC isn't really that lush during much of the core of the summer months either. The combination of too much heat, humidity, and a brutal sun angle dries things out quite quickly if there isn't adequate precipitation- which is often a problem. The months with the most lush greenery in KC are generally from early May to mid June and mid to late September. The Upper Midwest closer to the Great Lakes is generally much greener overall in the summer because average temperatures there are lower and precipitation tends to be more uniform overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.