Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:47 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

I'm partial to SC, but I like New Mexico's as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
New Mexico. I've always liked how the state incorporates a lot of Native American (specifically Pueblo) imagery into its aesthetics: the flag, license plates, architecture, buildings, street signs, highway barriers, and now apparently the highway markers too. Guess I never noticed the sun thing on them earlier.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:27 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Which state (or several states) do you think has (have) the best shield (road-sign symbol) for their system of state highways?

For reference, here are illustrations of them all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...State_highways

Personally, I'm going with Pennsylvania, because its keystone shape is instantly evocative of the Keystone State nickname. Honorable mention to North Dakota, whose name is in the reverse color/background from the number and thus helps it stand out. (South Carolina does this too, but the lettering is too small to be easily legible.)
My vote goes to Alaska, then Vermont. Both eye catching and good design for what it is...

Old 12-28-2017, 09:39 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Which state (or several states) do you think has (have) the best shield (road-sign symbol) for their system of state highways?

For reference, here are illustrations of them all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...State_highways

Personally, I'm going with Pennsylvania, because its keystone shape is instantly evocative of the Keystone State nickname. Honorable mention to North Dakota, whose name is in the reverse color/background from the number and thus helps it stand out. (South Carolina does this too, but the lettering is too small to be easily legible.)

I'm quoting myself to add to my comment. The more I've looked at Minnesota's sign, the more I like it. The state name is in the reverse color/background from its number, but it also has the state outline and it also has several colors.

New Mexico's is very attractive too, and definitely evokes the state's Native American heritage.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
I never knew that NY's traffic route number shield is supposed to be a schematic representation of the state seal. Of course the state seal isn't particularly distinctive. But that does subtly mark a distinction in the context of all the other state signs.

PA is simple and evocative, in addition to distinctive. Kansas might be, but I don't like that particular shade of yellow.

Out of the state-shape ones, I think Florida might be the best.

Nebraska's is put off by the covered-wagon symbol, that just seems unnecessary, and not particularly distinctive either. The Utah beehive is much better.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:13 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,437 times
Honestly, most of them look about the same to me. Variation on a theme (black numerals on a white face with some geometric design). I guess if I had to pick one, it would be Vermont's. Although I wonder how effective it is. Does the green and white stand out as much as the black and white?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:32 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
California's state highway sign is supposed to be based on a miner's spade shovel due to the Gold Rush of 1849.

Louisiana's state highway shields used to be white on green in shape of the state, but were recently replaced with the black and white ones.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
I like the Kansas shield best. California, Colorado, Pennsylvania and South Carolina are other good ones.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:41 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,068 times
I like Nebraska's.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:33 PM

35 posts, read 20,929 times
Texas's farm road shield is better than the state shield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.