Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe Gainseville, St. Augustine and Savannah.
Gainesville fits the OP's criteria largely but both St Augustine and Savannah are quite conservative/red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 03:01 PM

48 posts, read 34,696 times
Warm and liberal small cities are very rare, almost non existent. Warm cities tend to attract retirees, who trend conservative. I think you should look into Florida or something, there could be some liberal small cities there and it's warm. Edit: Forgot to mention New Mexico, majority Hispanic and Native American, very liberal, has small cities and is warm.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Gainesville fits the OP's criteria largely but both St Augustine and Savannah are quite conservative/red.
I wouldn't say Savannah is "quite conservative" as the city is known for being artsy, booze-friendly, and a bit eccentric. The city itself could be accurately described as leaning to the left a bit.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgressiveBelle View Post
Hmmmm.. hadn't really considered the Chapel Hill/R/D area. Since I'm originally from NC I had mostly nixed everything except possibly Asheville. However, a lot has probably changed since I lived there and honestly I have never really spent much time in that part of the state. Something to ponder.
When did you live in NC? The Triangle has grown and gotten more urban with time. Along with Asheville it is right up your alley politically, in stark contrast to the rest of the state. Somewhere like Hillsborough, Pittsboro, or Carrboro sounds like exactly what the doctor ordered, with the funky small town feel and natural setting, but easy access to a larger city.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Fayetteville, Arkansas. I'm not liberal, but have family out there who are. They love it. We have visited and it is very nice. Tons to do, charming, and super liberal.
Here's another vote for Fayetteville, Ark. Great city. Great area, and you can definitely be in the woods somewhere and 20 minutes from Whole Foods or local co-ops (for now).

Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgressiveBelle View Post
FYI it is NOT the case that I expect to live "only surrounded by like-minded people" - that would entail living in an intentional community which is definitely not my style. I just don't want to live somewhere where it's extremely difficult to find ANY like-minded people. Sure, I could find them in the limits of pretty much any city. But I am a country girl in the sense of loving nature, privacy and wide sprawls of undeveloped land, so city life is not for me. I'm just trying to bridge the gap more than what I have now - to be able to live on acreage and not be completely surrounded by ultra-conservative Trump-tooting bible-thumping gun-toting hicks with small minds. Not to offend any said 'hicks' here, but why oh why does it seem like these are the only kind of people that live in rural areas, except in Connecticut and Vermont?
Your posts remind me of the last scene in Tom Hanks movie Cast Away. The womans package that helped him through, doing sculpture in the vast country and him standing at a crossroads.

I feel like many of us are at that point right now.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
Ann Arbor, MI. The only thing on your list that we don't have is probably the weather. Freezing in the winter, but besides that, it's a great place. College town, extremely progressive. Clinton won here in 2016 with 70% of the popular vote.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:51 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Maybe tourists. Trump only received 8% of the vote in Seattle and he's probably even less popular now if that's possible. Agree with others suggesting smaller towns in southern Florida.
That is insane. 8%?

Old 08-11-2018, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,971 times
How about Asheville, NC? We considered it for our retirement and it has much of what you are looking for.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Carrboro, Pittsboro or Hillsborough, NC. Jerome or Bisbee, Arizona. Small towns, dry, but not as other parts of Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.