Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:28 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Wasn't the original name "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula", so technically LA isn't really LA, it should be EPdNSlRdLAdRP!
Based on the many letters and the short supply of vowels, I'm fairly sure that is a Polish last name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 05:03 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Based on the many letters and the short supply of vowels, I'm fairly sure that is a Polish last name
Being half Polish myself, I think you're probably right!

Old 01-06-2018, 05:24 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
People in California and the West often say:

4. the OC - Orange County, CA
That's OC, not "the" OC...please!

I have never, ever heard someone say SF for San Francisco or SD for San Diego in a conversation. I have heard them as part of other abbreviations...USD for University of San Diego, for instance. But just "I'm heading down to SD this weekend"? Never.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:20 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
From my perspective, NYC may be #1 over LA. It's at least debatable. After those two, DC should count and would be third in my book.

OKC and KC would be other notables.

I have heard SF by a handful of people. But don't think it's ubiquitous. Also have heard DFW and MSP but no clue if that was unusual or not.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:31 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's OC, not "the" OC...please!

I have never, ever heard someone say SF for San Francisco or SD for San Diego in a conversation. I have heard them as part of other abbreviations...USD for University of San Diego, for instance. But just "I'm heading down to SD this weekend"? Never.
Yeah, OC sounds normal, but i have heard a couple of people say SD, but rarely. SF just sounds weird, and I know no on that says it.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:40 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
People in Los Alamos refer to it as L.A. as well.

Santa Fe is very often referred to as SF in written form, but not spoken.

ABQ is taking over as Albuquerque's most common nickname, especially to outsiders. Many locals, though, cling to calling it The Duke City or prefer the old Spanish nickname Burque.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
SLC for Salt Lake City and PDX for Portland are the most common that I know of which haven't yet been mentioned.

BK for Brooklyn and BX for the Bronx are common ones that also come to my mind.

DTLA is also the only widespread use of the initials DT to be used along with city initials to refer to a downtown area that I know of. I've seen more and more cities use the initials for their downtowns in written form and for marketing, but I haven't seen for other cities the widespread acceptance in everyday parlance as DTLA has achieved for Downtown Los Angeles.

LAX is also the most famous airport code and it was the first to be widely used as much as I can remember, so L.A. seems to have the edge on having the most famous use of initials in the world.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Being half Polish myself, I think you're probably right!
Thanks cjseliga.......if you need any help in expunging the i, e, i and a from your name, I'd be happy to help, cjslg

Old 01-07-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
SLC for Salt Lake City and PDX for Portland are the most common that I know of which haven't yet been mentioned.

BK for Brooklyn and BX for the Bronx are common ones that also come to my mind.

DTLA is also the only widespread use of the initials DT to be used along with city initials to refer to a downtown area that I know of. I've seen more and more cities use the initials for their downtowns in written form and for marketing, but I haven't seen for other cities the widespread acceptance in everyday parlance as DTLA has achieved for Downtown Los Angeles.

LAX is also the most famous airport code and it was the first to be widely used as much as I can remember, so L.A. seems to have the edge on having the most famous use of initials in the world.
here's a question: was LAX the first airport in the US named "City-Name International Airport"? I can't think of any other that might be that old, short of SFO. If it was, it might account for why the initials were used.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
People in California and the West often say:

1. LA

2. SF - people have been saying "S" "F" for a long time when referring to San Francisco, and they add an "O" when they specifically mean the Airport, "S", "F", "O".

3. SD - as far back as the 1980's people would say "S" "D" when referring to San Diego, they still do.

4. the OC - Orange County, CA
Maybe it’s a regional thing but I have lived in various parts of LA for two decades and have never heard anyone say SF or SD. Everyone says “the OC” except people that live there and they say “OC”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.