Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:35 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think it depends. I need larger cities with some culture. Deep south doesn't work either.
What is large enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I live in Midessa,Texas and I want to move so bad.....just waiting for the opportune time.
99% of the people who moved there agree.. and even nearly half of the people who lived there their entire lives.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
I am at the point where I love my friends, my city and my life. I must write that St Louis is the absolute smallest metro I would live in and be happy. I lived in Memphis, Durham and Charlotte (that was the Charlotte of the 90s) and they where all too small.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:54 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is large enough for you?
Probably Denver or above....

Old 01-14-2018, 10:10 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
99% of the people who moved there agree.. and even nearly half of the people who lived there their entire lives.
Hi ragnarkar......it seems like a lot of people i know are happy here but then again they are in different situations in life than I am.....they are married and raising families.I want to get out of here so i can have a better dating scene.My immediate family is planning on moving too but to a different place perhaps.My sibling lives in Austin and I am hoping to move to Abilene or Lubbock after i get my affairs here in order.I have lived here for nearlyy 25 years but i am originally from Dallas.I may move back after i get married or retire but i am not for sure because my whole extended family on one side of the family is here practically

Old 01-14-2018, 10:41 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Hi ragnarkar......it seems like a lot of people i know are happy here but then again they are in different situations in life than I am.....they are married and raising families.I want to get out of here so i can have a better dating scene.My immediate family is planning on moving too but to a different place perhaps.My sibling lives in Austin and I am hoping to move to Abilene or Lubbock after i get my affairs here in order.I have lived here for nearlyy 25 years but i am originally from Dallas.I may move back after i get married or retire but i am not for sure because my whole extended family on one side of the family is here practically
Well, I took the first permanent job in my field that I could find after being unemployed/underemployed for over a year and it happened to be in Midland. My wife couldn't find any job that'll be a net benefit to her career in Midland so she took one in Dallas (didn't like the job she was at back in California anyways.) We don't foresee the current situation as a long-term family arrangement but at least it gives me a valid reason to drive 5 hours each way nearly every weekend to get out of Midland.

Personally, the only beef I have with Midland is the relatively low quality of services that are provided here (especially when it comes to auto repair and medical but I often can find something in Dallas on the weekends as an alternative.) Other things I find annoying (but relatively easy to ignore) are the lack of scenery or things to do and the above average religiosity of the population.

And getting back to the original (OP's) question, for me at least, 80% of my happiness comes from having reliable high speed internet (which is where I spend the vast majority of my free time if there's not much to look forward to wherever I'm living) in addition to most first world amenities we all take for granted. And pretty much 95% if not 99.99% of places in the US have this. Living on a beach in Hawaii vs. living in a small town in the middle of a desert will at most only account for the last 20%.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've done this before. It is incredibly difficult, but it happened for me twice (out of 1000 attempts). Good luck.
I'm doing my best. I applied to a job in Colorado (I live in Georgia) and I got a rejection.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I lived in many different cities and towns and St. Paul is definitely without a doubt my favourite in so many metrics. It also helps that Minnesota is my favourite state. Actually, living here has made me realise why lots of people dislike suburbia. I love the mix of urbanity and community closeness here in the West End of St. Paul ^^

Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Abilene is nice. Favourite town that I lived in in Texas.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Abilene is nice. Favourite town that I lived in in Texas.
I love Abilene.....I have always wanted to live there.....maybe ill live there when i get closer to marriage.Thats kool bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.