Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
One more angle I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is food, specifically the grocery wars Amazon entered by it's purchase of Whole Foods.

Again, this is, I believe, one more thing in Indy's favor.

Kroger killed Cincy's chances, and will likely kill Columbus's chances.

Meijer, a growing Midwest behemoth is a champion for the state of Michigan. Now even if you live outside of Meijers zone, trust me, it's on Amazon's radar.

Walmart is down in Arkansas. Well, Indiana has lost most of it's regional grocers and is being colonized by Ohio's Kroger's and Michigan's Meijers....

Amazon would have no problem building up it's grocery/WholeFoods operations from Indy.

Many. Many. Many corporation acquire other corporation to increase their portfolio, add new market share/volume, or break into evolving markets or market assets. In terms of Whole Foods it is, partially the Fresh Food logistics network, and its national presence. No Whole Foods is not in every city in the U.S, but it has a nationwide presence, which only a select few grocery stores can share, and therefore has a unique distribution network.

With that there should be zero rational given to locating a HQ based on its Grocery Presence. Do some research on Amazon Revenue, etc, research there emerging or new fixed markets, and many industries come into play. WF was more of a strategy game, than a food game.

Also I can give countless examples of one company acquiring another, Comcast of Philadelphia owns, NBC and Universal Studios, yet both companies have not had any major structural changes in terms of HQ influence, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:42 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Document, please.
Residents of city of Denver, 2016 Census Dept. ACS: 6.8% transit commute share.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF

You can look up other cities, counties, etc. Seattle for example was 20.8%.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
I'm not saying it's a determining factor but certainly one amongst many.

One of Austin's strong points is the Whole Foods hq.

My point was that if you made a triangle of Wal Mart, Meijer and Kogers headquarters, I believe Indy would be in that zone, meaning the zone of the most densely built up industry in terms of food growth/production/trucking/shipping/refrigeration/warehousing/logistics/distribution.

Indy not only has no state champion in the field, but it has neighbors thriving in that field.

Just saying.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Please provide the post where I said Indiana was liberal. I'll save you the trouble ... you can't.
How about you provide the post where I claimed Georgia was? You can't.

Quote:
It appears your go to argument is Pence. That's a weak hand to play because many of his pet agendas never became legislation. If Indiana is so much more conservative than Georgia then explain how Obama (the man conservatives love to hate) was able to carry that state but not Georgia? Btw, just the fact that Indy made the top 20 is an accomplishment. If a top 10 list comes out and Indy makes that cut I'll wager you'll have plenty to say. It might not mean much but I can count on you saying something.
Rest assured Indy won't be making any top ten list, if they even have one.

You're the one that turned nasty and dismissive in this thread. You need to face the fact that you live in a mid-tier Metro that you somehow think can play with the big boys. It can't, no matter which 'list' it ends up on.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Since Bezos is the wealthiest life-form in the Milky Way Galaxy (that we know of ), can't he just get them to add Chi-town to the eastern time zone!
Maybe he can just move the city?

Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Maybe he can just move the city?
Maybe just the northern half of it.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Since many have tired of my pro-Indy blather.

Here's another take

https://www.xconomy.com/indiana/2018...es-to-win-hq2/

Old 02-28-2018, 01:47 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Ok... kumbaya moment

So I think all contributors to this thread should recognize.

1) We all have a pride of place. Which is incredibly amazing and important.

2) America is comprised of hundreds of cities (big and small) and all offer opportunities and challenges moving forward

3) Cities in this nation are UBER important moving forward in the 21st century and competing on a global scale

4) We are all fighting over one company to come to our city, when what we really should be fighting for, are better policies from the U.S GOVT to increase the economic competitiveness of our urban cores and the infrastructure that supports them.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:28 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil badlley View Post
stop the wrangling, it's Atlanta (well, outside the "city")
Meaning it would be located outside the city limits? How do you figure that?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM

273 posts, read 206,986 times
Amazon's HQ2: Now we know why Cincinnati didn't get it

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/mon...get/374518002/

Quote:
Greater Cincinnati lost its bid for Amazon's coveted second headquarters for one main reason — a lack of tech talent.

That's according to economic development officials who Monday told The Enquirer that they were part of a conference call last week in which Amazon officials offered a long-awaited post-mortem on the region's failed bid for the so-called Amazon HQ2.

While the Cincinnati area has made strides in creating tech jobs, according to Amazon, the pool of computer programmers, software developers and other high-tech workers was simply too shallow to meet its demands.

"At the end of the day, their feedback was that talent was the most important factor out of everything they looked at,'' said Ed Loyd, a spokesman for REDI Cincinnati, which put together a regional bid for Amazon's HQ2 that included communities in Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky and Dayton, Ohio.
This is the second losing city I've read that got this feedback from Amazon (Baltimore was told the same thing a couple of weeks ago). It's either their go-to excuse or what they're really prioritizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.