Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:46 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,219,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Your CA arrogance has you fixated on Indianapolis as the base of your argument which is just hysterical. There are far more cities of importance on the East Coast than SoCal offers. I hate to burst your bubble. And the majority of them are in the Top 20
It seems you are the one fixated...on stereotyping the people of giant state. You never did get around to supporting the argument that corporate tech jobs are tied to one geographic area over the other, beyond "go read a business strategy book."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,270,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
It seems you are the one fixated...on stereotyping the people of giant state. You never did get around to supporting the argument that corporate tech jobs are tied to one geographic area over the other, beyond "go read a business strategy book."

Competence needs no explanation.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,782,681 times
Quote:
I agree that Seattle, and even Los Angeles are not ideally situated in relation to every other place in the United States. I just haven't heard an adequate explanation as to why this would matter for corporate headquarters jobs.

AMAZON HQ2 LOS ANGELES 2020:

Executive 1: Okay, big meeting tomorrow, we need to see if we're on track with our new product line, Christmas is in three months.

Executive 2: Great, I'll set up the teleconference with our people in Dallas and Philadelphia.

Executive 1: No, I need them here in person.

Executive 2: Okay....not sure why we would need that, but I guess we could set it up. Kind of short notice for four hour flights.

Executive 1: Oh man, F&*$ it, we should have picked Indianapolis for this stupid headquarters....arrrghh....

No man, I just can't see that scenario unfolding.
I hate having to travel for work because it really isn't needed with Skype for business. The only time I really think it is needed is for training because if you do online training sometimes a lot of people aren't paying attention.

At the upper management levels, people still prefer face to face, a lot of that is the people that are those levels are 50 or 60 year olds and that is how they prefer to do business. It shouldn't be needed and when the last of the old timers retire you may see a change but not anytime soon.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:49 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,597,312 times
Quote:
Oh, so people from the east and Midwest don't constantly move to California, regardless of their financial or family situation? I didn't know that.

Some do, as a circumstance of life, or they're sick of cold weather, or their job or school take them there. Most people I know don't really give much thought to LA, and when they do, they don't have a very positive impression. Having to visit LA frequently on work, it's one of the few major cities I really don't enjoy visiting...for multiple reasons. Some people like LA, some people don't. Pretty simple. Accept this. It will make your life less stressful.

With that said, and getting back on point, I think LA *should* be a contender. It is certainly large enough to accommodate Amazon's needs, there are many great nearby universities to fill the ranks and it does have great weather and a fairly decent lifestyle. Unfortunately, I don't think there are *enough* positives (or too many overriding perceived negatives) to sway Amazon to LA. This then, is reflected in the voting.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,267,495 times
Did you all see the SNL skit about this? Pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xop8ug07KS8

Old 01-25-2018, 11:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,782,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Some do, as a circumstance of life, or they're sick of cold weather, or their job or school take them there. Most people I know don't really give much thought to LA, and when they do, they don't have a very positive impression. Having to visit LA frequently on work, it's one of the few major cities I really don't enjoy visiting...for multiple reasons. Some people like LA, some people don't. Pretty simple. Accept this. It will make your life less stressful.

With that said, and getting back on point, I think LA *should* be a contender. It is certainly large enough to accommodate Amazon's needs, there are many great nearby universities to fill the ranks and it does have great weather and a fairly decent lifestyle. Unfortunately, I don't think there are *enough* positives (or too many overriding perceived negatives) to sway Amazon to LA. This then, is reflected in the voting.
To be fair, a lot of people don't like NYC or Chicago either. My work took me to both of those cities quite a bit. While I like NYC I never acquired a taste for Chicago. Between the sub zero winters (was there once when the high didn't get above 5 all week, another time I was there in March and it snowed 12" and it was 80 and sunny back in Austin), the crime (in telecom all the sites are in really bad parts of town), and the litter, I never was very much impressed. I also never felt comfortable on the L. Also, it always seemed O'hare had so many delays.

I've gotten lucky in NYC because when I go there my hotel is only a few blocks from where I worked in lower Manhattan and the easy access to Chinatown and Little Italy were really nice for me. I was a victim of a crime there though, my cell phone fell out of my pocket in a cab and the cab driver wouldn't return it. The COL is so high in NYC and that is why it will be eliminated. Chicago is a probable contender just because it meets all the requirements. But I don't see what it offers that would cause Bezos to pick it over DC or Atlanta. I'm just not seeing it.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:23 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,219,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

I don't even consider Los Angeles to be a favorite in this, given how weighted things are in the D.C. area's favor. I just think it's hilarious that cities that fall wildly short of the basic RFP requirements are getting 4X votes in this poll. I tried to get some enthusiasm going for this in the San Diego sub forum when this all started and was immediately met with similar "muh...time zone" negativity.

I wouldn't put it past Bezos to ignore the Bay Area just for laughs.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,744,272 times
Bezos isn't ignoring anyone at this point. But I do believe the decision has temporarily been made. The company is feeding off the suspense, and that was the original intention. Kudos to Amazon, brilliant marketing.

Austin, Northern Virginia, DC, Southern Maryland.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:49 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,914,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
the only related thing they did list was easy access to DC and NYC, which is sort of geographic

but does that mean an hour, a 5 hour flight etc who knows...

Though I believe they did call out a major airport for access to Seattle which was different then the access to DC/NYC statements
I think that you’re referring to the rfp where they stated:

Quote:
Travel time to an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco/Bay Area, and Washington, D.C. is also an important consideration.
That certainly doesn’t sound like a geographic preference.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:27 AM

654 posts, read 793,961 times
Why so many butthurt Los angeles residents? NYC hardly has any votes either. I think people believe Amazon is likely to pick a smaller city. The reasons for this was covered on the previous mega thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.