Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Dallas does not have large universities with top talent. SMU is a good school, but small considering how big of a city Dallas is. Look at Atlanta, it has Emory and GA Tech and it's a smaller city than Dallas. The other schools in Dallas (UTD etc... just don't cut it, sorry!) Other cities on my list of having talent also have great universities...
You may be saying Dallas does not produce "talent" but I don't think that is the same as not having "talent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Agreed.

Texas in general is overrated. I've said this a million times on here but no one on the east coast even talks about Texas. It literally was not until I started reading this board that I saw people ever mention Texas.
Very different from my experiences in the Northeast, especially now, even with people not knowing I am from Texas (people there always assume I am from Asia or California). Every visit, even this month when I went on a day trip to NYC, I hear strangers or people I just meet talk about Texas on multiple occasions. Two or three times a week might not be that common of a thing but its a lot more than I hear people in Texas talk about any other state, with the exceptions of California and Oklahoma.

Maybe things are different in DC, I mostly just visit New York and Boston, more so recently, and sometimes Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 10:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You may be saying Dallas does not produce "talent" but I don't think that is the same as not having "talent."
You can be pedantic if you want. Long term it is more important to Amazon in having places that "produce" talent than in places that "have" talent. People get old and retire, colleges keep churning out young and educated folks.

The other side of the coin is "luring" talent and cities like Miami, Austin, Denver, and Nashville know how to do that.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The other side of the coin is "luring" talent and cities like Miami, Austin, Denver, and Nashville know how to do that.
And apparently so does Dallas. For Dallas to have such a big tech talent pool in the absence of a more robust higher ed system is pretty impressive.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:26 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,908,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I'm not sure logistics factor into the HQ2 site selection to much extent. I do agree that being in proximity could be advantageous, but overall, "proximity" could mean anywhere from 1-3 hours from a major air hub location. Seattle is a good example of not being an air hub, (except for Alaska and the West Coast), and Amazon seems to be fine with this city. Non-contenders Cincy and St. Louis have lost their passenger hub status over the past decade or two, thus they are good candidates to be large freight hubs. As offered earlier, Cincy (Northern Kentucky) has already landed the Amazon hub. Indy, while in the AMZN top20, is not a major passenger hub.
Logistics is a major requirement. Amazon perfected the art of logistics. According to the requirements, Amazon wants on-site access to mass transit—train, subway, or bus—and to be no more than one or two miles from major highways and connecting roads. It wants to be within 45 minutes of an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, the San Francisco Bay area, and Washington DC. The company is also asking applicants to identify “all transit options, including bike lanes and pedestrian access†for the proposed site and to rank traffic congestion during peak commuting hours.

Passenger hub is only a small part of the requirements. As long as there are flights to the above stated destinations the candidates meet the requirements. Logistic wise, Indy is the 2nd largest FedEx hub. Of the listed candidates only Los Angles, New York and Miami operate at a high air cargo capacity rate. Quick and easy access to heavy rail, air cargo, and major interstates and highways is Indy strong suit. Mass transportation is where it falls short.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Logistics is a major requirement. Amazon perfected the art of logistics. According to the requirements, Amazon wants on-site access to mass transit—train, subway, or bus—and to be no more than one or two miles from major highways and connecting roads. It wants to be within 45 minutes of an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, the San Francisco Bay area, and Washington DC. The company is also asking applicants to identify “all transit options, including bike lanes and pedestrian access†for the proposed site and to rank traffic congestion during peak commuting hours.

Passenger hub is only a small part of the requirements. As long as there are flights to the above stated destinations the candidates meet the requirements. Logistic wise, Indy is the 2nd largest FedEx hub. Of the listed candidates only Los Angles, New York and Miami operate at a high air cargo capacity rate. Quick and easy access to heavy rail, air cargo, and major interstates and highways is Indy strong suit. Mass transportation is where it falls short.
Logistics isn't a requirement here in terms of moving goods like it would be for an Amazon warehouse, but Amazon has made it clear that ideally, it wants HQ2 easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:58 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,908,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Logistics isn't a requirement here in terms of moving goods like it would be for an Amazon warehouse, but Amazon has made it clear that ideally, it wants HQ2 easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation.
That and site/building, capital operating cost, incentives, labor force, time to operation, cultural community fit and community/quality of life as well. The missing piece to the puzzle is how each of this requirement are weighted during the decision making process. In Indy's case for example, site/building, capital operating cost, incentive and labor force are easy requirements to meet. Whereas time to operation may be somewhat of a challenge. As far as cultural community fit and quality of life ... those areas are highly subjective and are what I would consider to be wild cards.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:05 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,793 times
Interesting according to our little poll above: (the locations currently in the top 5)

1) Atlanta
2) Chicago
3) Philadelphia
4) Pittsburgh
5) DC

Now this might look different and maybe DC would get the #3 spot if we were to combine the MOCO, NOVA and DC locations into "DC Metro".

Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
"Amazon has requested Miami city officials execute new documents in order to proceed with the next stage of HQ2 negotiations."

https://www.thenextmiami.com/amazon-...hq2-documents/

Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
"Amazon has requested Miami city officials execute new documents in order to proceed with the next stage of HQ2 negotiations."

I would be gobsmacked if Amazon picked Miami.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

Do you think Amazon is asking the same of other cities and Miami is simply keeping the public in the loop better or is this a sign that Miami may have a better bid than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.