Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:31 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I hope Austin wins just to get under people's nerves and for people to say it is not a real city.
Crazy the level of hate it gets right? It's not like this thread has been full of compliments for Austin .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
It's all those claims about all Texas is a wasteland "except Austin."
Does this make you upset?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:52 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Crazy the level of hate it gets right? It's not like this thread has been full of compliments for Austin .
It hasn't been full of compliments for either Texas city that got into the top 20.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I haven't read everything on here, but why does nobody think Newark is a good option? It's a major air, rail, and port shipping hub. EWR is major world airport with flights all over the world. The city has an urban layout simply in need of revitalization. It has great public transit served by NJT buses, NJT light rail, PATH heavy rail subway service into Manhattan running 24/7/265. It's NJT commuter train hub and has Amtrak service. Amtrak also stops at EWR. Rutgers and Seton Hall are within the city and its surrounding area. There NJIT is nearby as are several other universities. Princeton is in NJ, while nearby NYC has NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and other highly regarded universities.

For what Amazon is looking for, Newark seems great IMO. They want good transit access (stated above). Liberal policies are important and NJ is a very blue state (disregard Chris Christie). A highly educated workforce is just 20-30 minutes away by public transit in Manhattan, as well as in the highly wealthy suburbs of neighboring cities like Montclair and even those commuting into Manhattan from Hoboken and Jersey City. Large airport, good train system, and a port. Land is much much much cheaper in Newark when compared to NYC, Boston, DC, etc. It's almost like moving to Manhattan but at a discount. Amazon would get basically all the benefits of being in NYC, but at a cheaper price just outside the city. Then once a company like Amazon would move into Newark, it has massive potential to takeoff and possibly return to its heyday. It already has a Whole Foods, luxury lofts are popping up downtown, shopping and restaurant/bar scene is on the rise. A lot of people are already moving to downtown Newark because it's urban and on the come-up, still with excellent public transit access to the jobs in Manhattan.

Compared to other places, I think Newark has much more going for it.
Austin is in a conservative state, has only one major university nearby, has virtually no public transit, and has a mediocre airport and shipping service.
Atlanta is in a conservative state.
Boston is very expensive.
Chicago I think is a good option also with good connectivity to the world, urban, liberal, good universities nearby, and cheap-ish land.
Columbus is in a moderate red-leaning state, no public transit, small airport, only one major university.
Dallas is in a conservative state with subpar public transit. Good universities and connectivity, though.
Denver is too far west still.
Indy is conservative, no public transit, bad connectivity by rail and air, and universities are okay but not as good compared to other cities on the list (and also the best are further away).
LA is on the west coast so not happening.
Miami does not have the public transit or educated workforce.
Montgomery County/DC/NoVa are all good on paper, but expensive for land. Still great options though as well.
Nashville has only one major university, bad connectivity with a smaller airport, bad public transit, in a very conservative state.
NYC is very expensive.
Philly is my second choice after Newark. East coast, liberal, great universities, great public transit, very urban, large airport and rail connections, and could attract talent very easily from nearby DC and NYC also.
Pittsburgh would be a good option except for having a small airport.
Raleigh is too suburban and too small and in a still moderate state, though it is definitely starting to lean more blue, but its airport is small.
Toronto would be an excellent option if it was in the US, but I don't see them moving to Canada.

I would rank the options as:
1. Newark
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. MD/DC/NoVa
5. Boston/NYC/Pittsburgh tied
Spot on.

There is a reason Newark is on the list and if you read my past comments I think it could be a "dark horse" as they say.

The main thing is it's kind of NYC Lite. It has all of the pluses of NYC by few of the minuses. Plus there is $8bn in incentives being thrown.

The only problem I see is attracting talent outside of the Northeast. Sure, New Yorkers will commute on a train but can you convince a West Coaster to move from the awesome climate out west and settle in NJ. You could say "well they could live in NYC" but someone from Seattle would be astonished at Manhattan prices. So they would either be relegated to NJ suburbs or to become gentrifiers.

I do think they could get critical mass with NYC and Philly right there surrounding Newark. It'll be interesting to see. It's a dark horse candidate but not a shoe in.

Nobody has yet offered a reason why Atlanta cannot be the #1 spot so I'll stick with that.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:28 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Spot on.

There is a reason Newark is on the list and if you read my past comments I think it could be a "dark horse" as they say.

The main thing is it's kind of NYC Lite. It has all of the pluses of NYC by few of the minuses. Plus there is $8bn in incentives being thrown.

The only problem I see is attracting talent outside of the Northeast. Sure, New Yorkers will commute on a train but can you convince a West Coaster to move from the awesome climate out west and settle in NJ. You could say "well they could live in NYC" but someone from Seattle would be astonished at Manhattan prices. So they would either be relegated to NJ suburbs or to become gentrifiers.

I do think they could get critical mass with NYC and Philly right there surrounding Newark. It'll be interesting to see. It's a dark horse candidate but not a shoe in.

Nobody has yet offered a reason why Atlanta cannot be the #1 spot so I'll stick with that.
We’ll many people are predicting Newark to gentrify anyway since Jersey City is gentrifiying!

Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
It hasn't been full of compliments for either Texas city that got into the top 20.
Then why the apparent anger at Austin?

Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
We’ll many people are predicting Newark to gentrify anyway since Jersey City is gentrifiying!
It's already started.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:40 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's already started.
I witnessed the urban development happening a few years back but have not seen the lofts downtown. Amazon would def make Newark flip like Brooklyn!

Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
It's not animosity, it's just being realistic. Austin appears to be peer to Indy and Columbus in this contest, and not really anyone else. Yet we have posters presenting it as a peer to Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc.

If Pittsburgh is auditioning to be "the next Austin", does that mean Pittsburgh would need to get rid of it's light rail system, half of it's skyscrapers, NHL/MLB/NFL teams?
I would say Austin is at least a peer for Raleigh and Nashville. But this is subjective stuff, there is no set parameter, so you could say Austin could be a better fit to newark as well, right? Also, some of the larger cities don't have great transportation either.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:02 PM

515 posts, read 558,175 times
I'm hoping and praying it is Austin. Then I can sell my duplex and get a cabin in New Mexico!
Dilly Dilly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.