Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did moving to a better climate improve your quality of life and increase your level of happiness?
Yes, quality of life vastly improved! 37 59.68%
Yes, glad I moved, qualify of life moderately improved 11 17.74%
Neutral - moving did not make a difference in my happiness 10 16.13%
Moving to a better climate had a negative impact on my quality of life 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker111 View Post
For clarification on the poll, "better" climate can be relative - if you prefer cold climates, did you leave a hot place to move to a colder one and did that affect your level of happiness? And vice versa. The title of the thread is more specific to my own preferences but please vote and weigh in no matter what your preferences are!
Sorry. The votes in this thread are meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
So if I understand your question you are addressing only those who moved for reasons of change of climate? Okay then I can’t answer your question if that’s the case because that’s not the reason I relocated. If you are asking did climate have an impact on my relocation after I moved the answer would be no.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:45 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Believe me, the sun gets to be just as boring, life limiting, and depressing as the clouds and snow. When I would get up in the morning and break a sweat and burn my feet on the sidewalk just putting the dog out at 7 am, I knew I was going to be holed up in the house that day, much like I do here when I get up in the morning in January and have to step in snow and freeze unless I put on a heavy coat putting the dog out at 7 am. (although I have to add that we do have plenty of days in January where there is no snow at all, such as today). Both extremes, both depressing, IMHO.
The difference is that a cold day never reaches a comfortable point; a high of 22 degrees means low temps in the teens or lower. A hot day can be insufferable when the sun is out but will typically give way to much more comfortable and cooler nighttime temperatures. So you can at least get some semblance of nightlife on a hot day whereas a cold day will shut most social life down.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
We moved from somewhere that is super hot all summer, so hot that you can't let your kids out to play past ten in the morning, even swimming in the pool they get scorched, to a place that has a much cooler climate and four seasons. This has improved our quality of life because now the kids can play outside in the warm summer, or in the snow in the cold winters. There are lots of outdoor activities that we can do year round, when before we were limited to the very short spring and fall months.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I live in Texas and the winters make me sad here.I have very low tolerance to the cold.I prefer the heat.I want to spend the winters in Arizona in a few years.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I live in Texas and the winters make me sad here.I have very low tolerance to the cold.I prefer the heat.I want to spend the winters in Arizona in a few years.
Winters here aren't that warm. Much warmer than TX, but it also gets very cold at night, even in PHX. This whole week our lows have been in the low 40s and mid-to-high 30s. If you truly want warm winters, your only option is Southern Florida, basically.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
My wife and I are temporarily living in Cape Cod, MA helping care for her mom who is battling Parkinson's Disease. Our permanent home in in the Charlotte area. For me, if I can dress appropriately, I can live about anywhere. I've been to the Northeast MANY times in my life, but living here in this climate has been nice. The cold and snow don't bother me. I actually love snow, lol. I've lived temporarily in Central Florida and enjoyed the tropical climate. But I absolutely love Charlotte's climate. To me, it's the perfect 4-season climate without the extremes. So, for me, it would be 1. Charlotte; 2. Orlando/Lakeland/Tampa region; 3. Cape Cod in order of preference. My wife would list the same order, but with Cape Cod being way farther down the list. She was raised in the Boston area and loathes the really cold weather (more so than me). I/we like all 3, but enjoy cliamtes that are sunnier and can do more outdoor activities year round.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:31 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The difference is that a cold day never reaches a comfortable point; a high of 22 degrees means low temps in the teens or lower. A hot day can be insufferable when the sun is out but will typically give way to much more comfortable and cooler nighttime temperatures. So you can at least get some semblance of nightlife on a hot day whereas a cold day will shut most social life down.

Why does every day have to be "comfortable"? 22 degrees isn't sit out on the patio weather but its hardly brutal arctic winter weather. I don't want every day to be comfortable, that's boring. Its like dating someone who is attractive but has no personality. Comfortable is always relative though, it depends on what you're doing. 65 degrees is comfortable for sitting outside or walking but uncomfortable for swimming as its too chilly for that. 90 degrees is uncomfortable for walking or running out in the sun, but its comfortable for relaxing in the pool drinking a beer. Its all relative to what you're doing. I like to do all kinds of things so "comfortable" changes.

That statement is funny to me because when I was walking around downtown Minneapolis a month ago on a Saturday night, it was 16 degrees and there were people in line to go into night clubs and people walking in and out of bars even in t shirts. This isn't even a "party city" either, but the cold doesn't stop nightlife here. Its gotta be like super cold for that to even happen. (And even then lol) New Years Eve was below zero, you think that stopped the bars from poppin'? What does it matter when most people will be inside buildings and travelling in heated vehicles anyway? And as long as its above zero you can expect people walking on the streets.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Yes, I moved back up north and I feel much better!

I believe that I have 'reverse SAD' because I get depressed by constant sunlight and clear skies.

I love where I live because I have 4 seasons again, lots of snow, and plenty of cloudy skies.

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I have lived in colder, cloudier climates several times over the course of my life and I much prefer warmer, sunnier climates, so I'm very happy living in northeast Texas. I do like four seasons but I don't insist that they're all an equal length - LOL.

That being said, I can be happy just about anywhere. No matter where we live, we take ourselves with us, right? So be happy within yourself is my advice. If you're not happy there, you won't be happy anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.