Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times

Advertisements

If affordability is a main factor your only options are Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, Ft Lauderdale and Pheonix unless you're willing live far out from the city in the remainder.

I can only speak for Atlanta and Chicago personally from having lived there.

Chicago - Lakeview, Wicker Park, Edgewood, Uptown, Logan Sq. ... there's just so many nice neighborhoods that are relatively affordable.
Atlanta - Midtown, Virginia Highlands, Cabbagetown, Little Five Points, Decatur. Ansley... There's more but not as interesting imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 05:50 PM

239 posts, read 232,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
In Chicago certainly consider Hyde Park on the south side--the liberal, upscale U of Chicago neighborhood. You'd have no problem living there and my guess is that you'd like it. You might also take a close look at Evanston, the city that borders the north side of Chicago, which has much the same feel and also might fit the bill. Plus there are both el and commuter line connections to the city from Evanston.

In NYC take a look at Park Slope in Brooklyn (generally expensive) and Clinton Hill/Ft. Greene (a bit less expensive but not cheap), which has a lovely park of the same name and is convenient to downtown Brooklyn and a new Whole Foods. Both will have an upscale feel moreso than less-expensive Flatbush, Windsor Terrace, or Kensington -- if that matters to you a lot. And yes, most of Manhattan is not what anyone would generally call "affordable" these day, but that doesn't mean DINKS don't move here all the time. No kids makes the price of rentals more affordable. I'd tell you to look at Morningside Heights and the Upper West Side if the budget allows. Plenty of parkland for both people and dogs, and an easy commute to Midtown Manhattan. Suburbs of the city like West Orange, Maplewood, or Montclair in NJ also might work. These towns are known for being liberal, accepting, and far more worldly than the typical NJ suburbs, have a mix of apartments and single family homes, and are on the commuter line to Manhattan.

But a big caveat: Unless those two canines are rat-sized lapdogs you may have a problem finding a landlord that will rent to you, at least in New York.
I would not recommend West Orange (I think you mean South Orange), Maplewood, and Montclair to a young couple without kids. There just is not enough to do. They are great communities, but the OP seems too young to enjoy them. Also, I would say they are known for being more liberal, artsy, and hipster than the average suburb. I do not think worldly is the right word as any other upscale suburb is probably just as sophisticated/cosmopolitan. The arts are also hugely represented in that area of Essex county, more so than any other US suburban area (along with Westchester River Towns, although they have less of a presence and a smaller population than South Orange, Maplewood, Montclair, and Glen Ridge - those towns are filled with art executives and connoisseurs to a level that is fascinating and a bit overwhelming/snobby for people who think they are unpretentious compared to Short Hills/Livingston/Westport/Roslyn).

Old 01-30-2018, 06:05 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
DC - Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan

Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
DC - Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan
Awesome locations but I don't think it meets the OPS affordability criteria especially when stacked against some of the other cities listed.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
In Chicago certainly consider Hyde Park on the south side--the liberal, upscale U of Chicago neighborhood. You'd have no problem living there and my guess is that you'd like it. You might also take a close look at Evanston, the city that borders the north side of Chicago, which has much the same feel and also might fit the bill. Plus there are both el and commuter line connections to the city from Evanston.

In NYC take a look at Park Slope in Brooklyn (generally expensive) and Clinton Hill/Ft. Greene (a bit less expensive but not cheap), which has a lovely park of the same name and is convenient to downtown Brooklyn and a new Whole Foods. Both will have an upscale feel moreso than less-expensive Flatbush, Windsor Terrace, or Kensington -- if that matters to you a lot. And yes, most of Manhattan is not what anyone would generally call "affordable" these day, but that doesn't mean DINKS don't move here all the time. No kids makes the price of rentals more affordable. I'd tell you to look at Morningside Heights and the Upper West Side if the budget allows. Plenty of parkland for both people and dogs, and an easy commute to Midtown Manhattan. Suburbs of the city like West Orange, Maplewood, or Montclair in NJ also might work. These towns are known for being liberal, accepting, and far more worldly than the typical NJ suburbs, have a mix of apartments and single family homes, and are on the commuter line to Manhattan.

But a big caveat: Unless those two canines are rat-sized lapdogs you may have a problem finding a landlord that will rent to you, at least in New York.

Kensington and Ditmas Park (subsection of Flatbush) are great neighborhoods in my opinion, worth checking out.

Neither are cheap though, the average rents would be considered expensive in most US cities.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
The Virginia-Highland neighborhood in Atlanta has a lot of gay couples. Little Five Points too. Unfortunately, those two neighborhoods are among the most expensive in the city.

I would cross Miami/FLD off your list if you're looking for salary/cost of living balance. Unless you really wanted to sacrifice the lower pay so you could be close to some great beaches and nightlife.

Charlotte could be a decent option. The neighborhoods closer to the perimeter of the city still have decent prices. It's definitely not walkable though unless you're in NoDa.
Not the expert, but I would say the Atlanta area has matured with its overall view toward gay couples that one doesn't need to search for a "gayborhood" anymore. If the area is diverse racially, then the area is pretty much a safe bet for a gay couple.

And there was a time when one would need to consider staying ITP (Inside the Perimeter for those not used to local parlance) if openly gay. I know plenty of gay couples living happily in what was once touted as extremely anti-gay Cobb County. So if the OP wants a neighborhood where gay couples are the plurality, then Yes, Virginia Highlands and other areas of Midtown would be the first place to look. But if that isn't the absolute necessity, would say that an area's diversity on other spectrums would mirror the gay acceptance meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.