Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM

37 posts, read 34,956 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am from a small town in Northern New York and am looking for change to improve my life. I was hoping some of you may have ideas of where good places to start over may be.

About me, I am 30 years old. I have a bachelor's degree in theater arts and have finished about half of a masters degree in global studies. My job history has been a bit all over the place and unremarkable. I worked in a gas station for about 4 years, substitute teaching for 3, I have had a few delivery jobs and some inventory work.

In addition to this I have a TEFL certification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) which I received in Prague, and I spent 6 months doing missionary work in Quebec and French Polynesia.

I live in a small village in an area with not many opportunities. I want to live somewhere that's not too big, but some place where there is opportunity to both work as well as to explore and experience new things.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times
If you want opportunity and better quality of life, be prepared to leave NYS. I did it and it was the best thing I've ever done with my life.

What kind of weather do you like? Are you looking for a good singles scene? What are your hobbies? Do you like water sports or mountain activities? Pizza or tacos?

Depending on your weather preferences and the types of new experiences you're looking for, a few cities could work out well for you:

Greenville, SC - smaller city along 85 in between two larger cities (Atlanta and Charlotte). Plenty to do within driving distance and the city is growing slowly.

Concord, NC - fast growing suburb of Charlotte. Plenty of employment opportunities in Charlotte and the surrounding areas.

Wilmington, NC - service sector seems to be pretty big here with a dense, walkable downtown with tons of bars/restaurants. Employment might or might not be difficult depending on what you're looking to do. Puts you close to the beach and 2 hours from Raleigh, the state capital.

Knoxville, TN - Good if you like being inland away from the coast and prefer lots of greenery and a country-ish type life. It's not nearly as big as Nashville or Memphis (stay away from Memphis).

Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
If you want opportunity and better quality of life, be prepared to leave NYS. I did it and it was the best thing I've ever done with my life.

What kind of weather do you like? Are you looking for a good singles scene? What are your hobbies? Do you like water sports or mountain activities? Pizza or tacos?

Depending on your weather preferences and the types of new experiences you're looking for, a few cities could work out well for you:

Greenville, SC - smaller city along 85 in between two larger cities (Atlanta and Charlotte). Plenty to do within driving distance and the city is growing slowly.

Concord, NC - fast growing suburb of Charlotte. Plenty of employment opportunities in Charlotte and the surrounding areas.

Wilmington, NC - service sector seems to be pretty big here with a dense, walkable downtown with tons of bars/restaurants. Employment might or might not be difficult depending on what you're looking to do. Puts you close to the beach and 2 hours from Raleigh, the state capital.

Knoxville, TN - Good if you like being inland away from the coast and prefer lots of greenery and a country-ish type life. It's not nearly as big as Nashville or Memphis (stay away from Memphis).
Hey, thanks for the response. I am definitely willing to move away from NY.

In terms of weather, I do prefer colder or mild to hot, though I can stand the heat as long as its not too humid. I am single so a good ratio of women to men would be nice, lol. Hobbies include the arts, I like to participate in theatre and I would like to be in a place where I can do that, sing, take dance lessons etc.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:14 PM

927 posts, read 758,082 times
toronto is close by. I loved toronto. Lived there for 6 months. Completely different from the usa. Your thinking will change.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
toronto is close by. I loved toronto. Lived there for 6 months. Completely different from the usa. Your thinking will change.
I do love Canada, though I wonder how difficult getting a job would be with me not being Canadian and all.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Madison, WI

Old 02-13-2018, 03:41 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyneedsachange View Post
Hi. I am from a small town in Northern New York and am looking for change to improve my life. I was hoping some of you may have ideas of where good places to start over may be.

About me, I am 30 years old. I have a bachelor's degree in theater arts and have finished about half of a masters degree in global studies. My job history has been a bit all over the place and unremarkable. I worked in a gas station for about 4 years, substitute teaching for 3, I have had a few delivery jobs and some inventory work.

In addition to this I have a TEFL certification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) which I received in Prague, and I spent 6 months doing missionary work in Quebec and French Polynesia.

I live in a small village in an area with not many opportunities. I want to live somewhere that's not too big, but some place where there is opportunity to both work as well as to explore and experience new things.

Ideas?
What kind of work are you really looking for?

Also, have you looked into theater based jobs nearby? Places like the Merry Go Round Theater in Auburn, Syracuse Stage, the Geva Theater in Rochester are some places that come to mind in terms of your initial degree.

For teaching jobs, perhaps view the BOCES OLAS website or view potential openings at charter or private schools.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What kind of work are you really looking for?

Also, have you looked into theater based jobs nearby? Places like the Merry Go Round Theater in Auburn, Syracuse Stage, the Geva Theater in Rochester are some places that come to mind in terms of your initial degree.

For teaching jobs, perhaps view the BOCES OLAS website or view potential openings at charter or private schools.

I don't really know that I want to look into theater jobs to be honest. I love performing, but I think I would be miserable otherwise. One thing that I am adamant about is that I really want out of NY.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Providence, RI? Not too far from Boston but a lot cheaper and reasonably multicultural and educated. Brown being there helps.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyneedsachange View Post
I don't really know that I want to look into theater jobs to be honest. I love performing, but I think I would be miserable otherwise. One thing that I am adamant about is that I really want out of NY.
Do you have any criteria in terms of what you are looking for in terms of a new location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.