U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After California, which state has the best 1-2 punch in public u's
AZ: UA, ASU 0 0%
CO: CU, Colo Mines 3 3.33%
TX: UT, A&M 12 13.33%
IN: IU, Pur 8 8.89%
MI: U-M, MSU 23 25.56%
OH: OSU, Miami 0 0%
FL: UF, FSU 6 6.67%
GA: UGA, GT 16 17.78%
NC: UNC, NCSU 12 13.33%
VA: UVA, W&M 27 30.00%
PA: PSU, Pitt 11 12.22%
NY: Bing, Sny Bro 4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:41 PM

1,593 posts, read 835,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
In my view, South Carolina universities are as good as any in California and other states.

California colleges get overrated due to the high emphasis on selectivity in the various rankings. Colleges in heavily populated states are going to have more people applying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Seattle, Minneapolis, Honolulu, SLC......if that isn't t all, it's close

Tuscalousa, Champaign, Chapel Hill, Eugene, Iowa City, Gainesville, Fayettesville, Bloomington, Lawrence,, etc, etc, etc

In other words: stemba nailed this one
Exactly most state universities began as agricultural schools and put in the middle of nowhere on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
good grief. You're not paying attention. It shows and backs up the conversation on global rankings, we which in fact were discussing. Thanks,
No, "we" were not discussing global rankings. In fact, here is the thread title:
"After CA,which state has best 1-2 punch in public univ's?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't like that Virginia's flagship university is not in the DC metro area. Feels like a misplacement to me.

President Jefferson should have known better.
Yeah, he should have. He thought he knew everything. Many "flagship" unis are not in the largest city in their state, or even nearby, e.g. Penn State, U of IL, U of NM, etc. Many of the midwest flagships are located in the capital city, e.g. Ohio State, U of WI, U of NE, U of MN (sort of).

Old 02-23-2018, 04:08 PM

7,590 posts, read 4,014,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't like that Virginia's flagship university is not in the DC metro area. Feels like a misplacement to me.

President Jefferson should have known better.
Jefferson was anti-city, especially for a college location.

It makes sense for him to build his college near his home because he designed it and oversaw its construction.

I don't see any advantage for locating a college in a city from an academic standpoint. Many of the universities located in urban areas have had challenges expanding their campuses.

It may be a benefit for students who need to work part time.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Exactly most state universities began as agricultural schools and put in the middle of nowhere on purpose.
There are typically no more than two land grant universities in a state.

Many of the land grant universities were already established prior to the Morril Act that gave money to states to create agricultural colleges. UGA is an example.

Uni of SC had the agricultural college for awhile until Thomas Clemson donated his plantation for the creation of a separate agricultural college.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
That is true. In fact, Georgia was having problems keeping state residents in their public unversities. They started the HOPE Scholarship and Zell Miller. This made cheaper to to attend college if you got one, and almost nothing if you get two. Thats how Georgia has gotten much more people to stay in Georgia for college. I do agree though, Georgia Tech gets a lot of people out of state.
Georgia allowing UGA and Georgia Southern to offer engineering programs has helped to keep more students in state.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:13 PM

13,597 posts, read 22,049,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

As far as the topic of this thread, I think Michigan (UM and MSU) beats Georgia (UGA-GT) though agree that MSU is the low man on totem poll, by a margin.
No.

And--Georgia's 1-2 punch is written as "GT and UGA," or "GT-UGA."

Get it right.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 AM

4,174 posts, read 6,032,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No.

And--Georgia's 1-2 punch is written as "GT and UGA," or "GT-UGA."

Get it right.
The only ones who think that are those who went to GT. Outside of that sphere UGA is by far more well known.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:02 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,715,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
The only ones who think that are those who went to GT. Outside of that sphere UGA is by far more well known.
I went to UGA and am more than comfortable recognizing Tech as the premier public university in the state. It gets top billing.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:08 AM

4,174 posts, read 6,032,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I went to UGA and am more than comfortable recognizing Tech as the premier public university in the state. It gets top billing.
I went to UGA as well (grad and undergrad) and agree with that. I guarantee you though more people know UGA than GT. UGA is quickly nipping at the heels of GT. UGA is the state school and would naturally be more well known because of its size, history and impact on college sports.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:39 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I went to UGA as well (grad and undergrad) and agree with that. I guarantee you though more people know UGA than GT. UGA is quickly nipping at the heels of GT. UGA is the state school and would naturally be more well known because of its size, history and impact on college sports.
Not out here in Colorado. This is a very "techy" state; most people have heard of the good tech schools such as GT. But UGA? Yeah, if you asked most people they'd say of course they know Georgia has a big state u, after all, doesn't every state, but as to any specifics about UGA, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or