U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: After California, which state has the best 1-2 punch in public u's
AZ: UA, ASU 0 0%
CO: CU, Colo Mines 3 3.33%
TX: UT, A&M 12 13.33%
IN: IU, Pur 8 8.89%
MI: U-M, MSU 23 25.56%
OH: OSU, Miami 0 0%
FL: UF, FSU 6 6.67%
GA: UGA, GT 16 17.78%
NC: UNC, NCSU 12 13.33%
VA: UVA, W&M 27 30.00%
PA: PSU, Pitt 11 12.22%
NY: Bing, Sny Bro 4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,904 posts, read 6,542,365 times
Reputation: 5367

Advertisements

as the OP, I said at the beginning that my list of states was a judgement call I made, just as saying California has no competition in this contest was a judgement call, too.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that two states, Illinois and Alabama, were ones others thought should be on the list, but weren't.

For Alabama, I didn't think the ranking/reputation of the university you would consider highest, be that Bama or Auburn, warranted being on the list, so it was definitely because of the "high end" I didn't include it.

For Illinois, U of I was an obvious pick, being one of the best public universities in the nation with an incredibly long period of time it has held such distinction. UIC has developed into a fine university, using its Chicago location to be one of the best urban oriented public schools in the nation. Having the UI college of medicine added to it increased its prestige enormously. That said, I don't think UIC yet compares with the #2 offerings of by far most of the schools I did enter.....MSU, Purdue or IU (since either could be called the state's best), W&M, UGA, A&M, Pitt, etc.

I say this obviously not with partisanship, as I am proud to be a UIC grad, starting college there the same year the university opened (or moved from its original 2 year Navy Pier campus). When I was there, it wasn't UIC...it was The Circle, UICC....Univ of IL at Chgo Circle (DT interchange). It didn't become UIC until, I believe 1985 or so, when UICC and UI Med were combined to make UIC>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2018, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,904 posts, read 6,542,365 times
Reputation: 5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Exactly most state universities began as agricultural schools and put in the middle of nowhere on purpose.
That would be true of land-grant universities, but the original public universities (usually they are today's flagships) rarely had agricultural schools....such as UVA, UNC, IU, U-M, Iowa, Bama, UF, Cal, and many, many more. It was the land grants, starting circa 1855 that were initially started as basically ag schools...such as Purdue, MSU, Auburn, Iowa St, etc.

In some cases like UIUC, OSU, etc., the land-grant was also the flagship and does have ag schools.

Others may disagree with me, but I tend to think that a good percentage of states with the traditional flagship and a land-grant university to have two flagship schools....such as U-M/MSU, IU/Purdue, UT/A&M (this one is official by the State of TX), etc.

The university that became the model for the comprehensive state flagship, a vastly more inclusive type of institution that truly was designed to serve the state was the University of Michigan. Cal fully discloses that U-M was its model (although I don't think the Michigan's maize and blue and Cal's similar blue and gold were related).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33075
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
as the OP, I said at the beginning that my list of states was a judgement call I made, just as saying California has no competition in this contest was a judgement call, too.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that two states, Illinois and Alabama, were ones others thought should be on the list, but weren't.

For Alabama, I didn't think the ranking/reputation of the university you would consider highest, be that Bama or Auburn, warranted being on the list, so it was definitely because of the "high end" I didn't include it.

For Illinois, U of I was an obvious pick, being one of the best public universities in the nation with an incredibly long period of time it has held such distinction. UIC has developed into a fine university, using its Chicago location to be one of the best urban oriented public schools in the nation. Having the UI college of medicine added to it increased its prestige enormously. That said, I don't think UIC yet compares with the #2 offerings of by far most of the schools I did enter.....MSU, Purdue or IU (since either could be called the state's best), W&M, UGA, A&M, Pitt, etc.

I say this obviously not with partisanship, as I am proud to be a UIC grad, starting college there the same year the university opened (or moved from its original 2 year Navy Pier campus). When I was there, it wasn't UIC...it was The Circle, UICC....Univ of IL at Chgo Circle (DT interchange). It didn't become UIC until, I believe 1985 or so, when UICC and UI Med were combined to make UIC>
I would take New York off the list. (I know you can't change it now, just sayin'.) As I said before the most highly ranked SUNY school is Binghamton at 38. That's pretty low to be considered "best". NY was late to the game, and it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
That would be true of land-grant universities, but the original public universities (usually they are today's flagships) rarely had agricultural schools....such as UVA, UNC, IU, U-M, Iowa, Bama, UF, Cal, and many, many more. It was the land grants, starting circa 1855 that were initially started as basically ag schools...such as Purdue, MSU, Auburn, Iowa St, etc.

In some cases like UIUC, OSU, etc., the land-grant was also the flagship and does have ag schools.

Others may disagree with me, but I tend to think that a good percentage of states with the traditional flagship and a land-grant university to have two flagship schools....such as U-M/MSU, IU/Purdue, UT/A&M (this one is official by the State of TX), etc.

The university that became the model for the comprehensive state flagship, a vastly more inclusive type of institution that truly was designed to serve the state was the University of Michigan. Cal fully discloses that U-M was its model (although I don't think the Michigan's maize and blue and Cal's similar blue and gold were related).
Not Colorado. Colorado State is ranked much lower than CU (#124 vs #90). For state schools it goes CSM, CU, then CSU (the land grant school).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Reputation: 2926
Colorado State - Fort Collins is the flagship of the Colorado State University system.

According to CSU, ' 30% of all of Colorado's science, math, engineering and technology majors pursue degrees at CSU'

That is probably where I would go if I grew up in Colorado. Fort Collins is a cool town.

CSU and Colorado are classified in the Highest Research Activity group by Carnegie for doctoral universities. Colorado School of Mines is not. http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...php&limit=0,50

For Virginia, George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, Va Tech and UVA make this list but not William & Mary.

SC has two on the list with Clemson and USC.

I guess having a medical school is why some of these colleges make the highest classification such as Uni of Alabama at Birmingham and VCU. Universities like Clemson and Colorado State and Virginia Tech and NCSU were able to make it without medical schools.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-24-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 10:58 AM
 
13,588 posts, read 22,040,652 times
Reputation: 4612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
The only ones who think that are those who went to GT. Outside of that sphere UGA is by far more well known.
Said by no one ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I went to UGA and am more than comfortable recognizing Tech as the premier public university in the state. It gets top billing.

Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Reputation: 2926
Outside of engineering, and only because the state essentially gave G Tech a monopoly on engineering programs until recently, I think most employers view UGA and G Tech as similar universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Colorado State - Fort Collins is the flagship of the Colorado State University system.

According to CSU, ' 30% of all of Colorado's science, math, engineering and technology majors pursue degrees at CSU'

That is probably where I would go if I grew up in Colorado. Fort Collins is a cool town.

CSU and Colorado are classified in the Highest Research Activity group by Carnegie for doctoral universities. Colorado School of Mines is not. Carnegie Classifications | Standard Listings

For Virginia, George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, Va Tech and UVA make this list but not William & Mary.

SC has two on the list with Clemson and USC.

I guess having a medical school is why some of these colleges make the highest classification such as Uni of Alabama at Birmingham and VCU. Universities like Clemson and Colorado State and Virginia Tech and NCSU were able to make it without medical schools.
There's a joke in Colorado (waiting for the brickbats to fly):
Q: "What do CU and CSU students have in common?"
A: "They all got into CSU!"

CSU has a vet school which actually is highly rated, at least by Coloradans. I can't vouch for that, I don't know anything about medical schools. Colorado's med school is at the CU-Denver campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Reputation: 2926
Ok, you seem to focus more on who gets in rather than the university's ability to teach. I don't have problem with colleges giving students with relatively low GPAs in high school a shot. I don't think a person's academic stats in high school have to define them for life. A lot of kids in high school are immature and have poor study habits. People tend to get more motivated as they get older.


The Colorado School of Mines is a small college, less than 5000 undergrad, so obviously it can be more selective than a large college like Colorado State. I don't see that as impressive. Employers are going to be more familiar with CSU because it graduates more people.

I'm not sure how it is 'brickbats' simply because I do not agree with you on colleges and I don't base my opinions on US News rankings. I don't understand how an opinion about a colleges can be described as threatening or insulting.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-24-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok, you seem to focus more on who gets in rather than the university's ability to teach. The Colorado School of Mines

I'm not sure how it is 'brickbats' simply because I do not agree with you on colleges and I don't base my opinions on US News rankings.
Internet laugh of the day. Does it not occur to you that a school with higher admission standards has higher standards in teaching? What's your point with School of Mines? It ranks above CU and your beloved CSU. It's great for engineering/physical sciences. It doesn't have the breadth of subject areas that CU or CSU does. "30% of all of Colorado's science, math, engineering and technology majors pursue degrees at CSU' ". Where do you think the other 70% go? Probably CU and CSM, which is much smaller (4600 students).
https://www.colorado.edu/engineering...-facts-figures


I meant I'd make some CSU graduates angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Reputation: 2926
Here is info provided by CSU on average stats of enrolled students in Fall 2017. It is indicates the middle 50 percent of the class had a GPA between 3.3 and 4.0. https://admissions.colostate.edu/apply/freshmen/

Those seem like decent stats to me. A student with a sub 3.0 GPA is less likely to apply at CSU and the acceptance rate doesn't reflect that.

It also has minimum GPA and/or class ranking requirements for certain majors like mechanical engineering. A student has to have a 3.5 minimum to be accepted into mechanical engineering.

I'm sure there are many students that enrolled at CSU that were also accepted at Colorado.

It looks like Colorado's acceptance rate is 77 percent. Colorado State is at 78 percent. This is based on the info in US News.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-24-2018 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top