U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After California, which state has the best 1-2 punch in public u's
AZ: UA, ASU 0 0%
CO: CU, Colo Mines 3 3.33%
TX: UT, A&M 12 13.33%
IN: IU, Pur 8 8.89%
MI: U-M, MSU 23 25.56%
OH: OSU, Miami 0 0%
FL: UF, FSU 6 6.67%
GA: UGA, GT 16 17.78%
NC: UNC, NCSU 12 13.33%
VA: UVA, W&M 27 30.00%
PA: PSU, Pitt 11 12.22%
NY: Bing, Sny Bro 4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

^^I think this list makes a lot more sense. I agree with the U of Ill ranking and wondered why the OP did not include Illinois. UI-ISU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 04:16 PM

13,577 posts, read 22,033,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
How is Georgia getting so many votes? I get Georgia Tech but UGA is well below Michigan State and William & Mary. This should actually only come down to Michigan and Virginia. Well, a little support for Pennsylvania is reasonable, but UGA has a long way to go before it is the same level as the #2 in Michigan or Virginia, and maybe Pennsylvania as well.
And oh yeah, California is clearly #1 with a bullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Georgia? I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I was going to say that Michigan is a sleeper in regards to the topic.

With NY, I dare say that you could replace Stony Brook with University of Buffalo, depending on the publication/list. Or even with the top CUNY school.

Um, the University of Georgia is much more highly-regarded/highly-ranked than Michigan State.

What are y'all thinking???

Georgia's 1-2 punch totally slams Michigan's.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
UGA is better than Michigan State.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...te-2290/photos
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...f-georgia-1598

https://www.niche.com/colleges/searc...-universities/

I am not saying that GA has the best combo, but don't trash on UGA. It is in fact ranked higher than Michigan State on all the lists I have seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Georgia has one of the nation's best engineering schools and its flagship university is much better than average. Very strong 1-2 punch.

Exactly.

I cannot believe, currently, that Michigan has one more vote than Georgia.

Georgia Tech/University of Georgia trumps University of Michigan/Michigan State.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 PM

I will say this, though...

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the 1-2 punch of Virginia vs. Georgia is debatable.

However, if were talking about a 1-2-3-4, etc. punch Virginia would easily trump Georgia.

Virginia has:

University of Virginia
William and Mary
Virginia Tech
James Madison
George Mason
Virginia Military Institute

Georgia drops off after number 2...for now.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:41 PM

56,612 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um, the University of Georgia is much more highly-regarded/highly-ranked than Michigan State.

What are y'all thinking???

Georgia's 1-2 punch totally slams Michigan's.
I don't know about that, as the University of Michigan is one of the best public universities in the country, regardless of the list that is being used and MSU is no slouch either.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:53 PM

5,883 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I think this list makes a lot more sense. I agree with the U of Ill ranking and wondered why the OP did not include Illinois. UI-ISU
As the OP and an Illinoisian, why would I have included Iilinois in the listing? Illinois is a state like nearby Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri with only one high profile, research intense, major public university...and we differ from neighbors like Indiana, Michigan, and Iowa which each have two.

ISU is in the same category of institution as NIU or SIU. No public university in state comes anywhere near U of I. And I think by most evaluations, the school that comes up second is UIC, not ISU

Just because a school's name is Name-of-State State University means it is like all others so named

MIchigan State, Penn State, Arizona State, Florida State, Iowa State are a different type of university than...

Illinois State, Missouri State, Arkansas State, Georgia State, Texas State

Just like the University of Pennsylvania isn't a public university....while every other University named University of State's-name is.

States that I consider to have only one top tier public university would be home to the following institutions....easily topped by UIUC and UW Madison and would also include U of M Twin Cities.

For the record, there is only one state that I might have put in the poll but didn't in a judgement call. That would have been Washington. U Dub is, of course, but Wazoo just isn't up to the second schools that I did select

Last edited by edsg25; 02-18-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 09:08 PM

510 posts, read 198,869 times
Florida has always had the reputation of the best state unis. But I think NY, NC, VA and TX also have great systems too.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 PM

1,593 posts, read 833,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Florida has always had the reputation of the best state unis. But I think NY, NC, VA and TX also have great systems too.
Wait... What?? For best party school or something like that?

Old 02-18-2018, 11:27 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
As the OP and an Illinoisian, why would I have included Iilinois in the listing? Illinois is a state like nearby Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri with only one high profile, research intense, major public university...and we differ from neighbors like Indiana, Michigan, and Iowa which each have two.

ISU is in the same category of institution as NIU or SIU. No public university in state comes anywhere near U of I. And I think by most evaluations, the school that comes up second is UIC, not ISU

Just because a school's name is Name-of-State State University means it is like all others so named

MIchigan State, Penn State, Arizona State, Florida State, Iowa State are a different type of university than...

Just like the University of Pennsylvania isn't a public university....while every other University named University of State's-name is.

States that I consider to have only one top tier public university would be home to the following institutions....easily topped by UIUC and UW Madison and would also include U of M Twin Cities.

For the record, there is only one state that I might have put in the poll but didn't in a judgement call. That would have been Washington. U Dub is, of course, but Wazoo just isn't up to the second schools that I did select
The list ckhthankgod posted has UIUC as #8 and ISU #97, Nationally. Actually, they also rank SIU #80.

Cornell U in NY is partially public and it is a much better school than any of the other public schools in NY. It's ranked #14 nationally by USNews. Doesn't make this list, maybe because it's part public/part private.

Don't need the little tutorial about naming.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 AM

351 posts, read 550,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

UIC is no slouch and makes Illinois competitive with some of the states in the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or