U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After California, which state has the best 1-2 punch in public u's
AZ: UA, ASU 0 0%
CO: CU, Colo Mines 3 3.33%
TX: UT, A&M 12 13.33%
IN: IU, Pur 8 8.89%
MI: U-M, MSU 23 25.56%
OH: OSU, Miami 0 0%
FL: UF, FSU 6 6.67%
GA: UGA, GT 16 17.78%
NC: UNC, NCSU 12 13.33%
VA: UVA, W&M 27 30.00%
PA: PSU, Pitt 11 12.22%
NY: Bing, Sny Bro 4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM

5,927 posts, read 6,563,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Yep, and William and Mary is public too, but is better than most privates.

Clemson also doesnít get its due credit. Itís ranked higher than the U of Minnesota, which is the only game in town for a state known for its exceptional public education system.
Yes, but W&M differs from Auburn, Clemson, and Purdue.W&M is more like Rutgers, Pitt and Temple which all are publics, but once privates Tulane did things in reverse...going public to private. I believe this is why LSU is so named. Tulane once was the University of Louisiana so LSU couldn't have that name. Tulane, I believe, Tulane is offically Tulane University of Louisiana.

Only three of our flagships are of the ___ State Univ variety. All are so named because their names had already been taken:

The private Univ of Pennsylvania is why Pennsylvania State College (now Penn St) was so named.

Ohio U. is a public school, started similiarly as Indiana Univ (except IU developed into a flagship while Ohio U did not).....so we have OSU as flagssip

Tulane, LSU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
In my view, South Carolina universities are as good as any in California and other states.

California colleges get overrated due to the high emphasis on selectivity in the various rankings. Colleges in heavily populated states are going to have more people applying.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Virginia has the best 1-2 punch with UVA and William & Mary for undergrad.
I think Va Tech is best university in Virginia. William and Mary doesn't offer engineering, architecture and other STEM type majors outside of the traditional biology, chemistry, physics.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-20-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Clemson is public! Where are y'all from?!?!?
There are a surprising number of people who think it is private. I guess because it is named after a person rather than the state.

I used to think Syracuse is public because it has the most competitive sports of any university in NY state.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:06 PM

6,889 posts, read 6,214,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
In my view, South Carolina universities are as good as any in California and other states.

California colleges get overrated due to the high emphasis on selectivity in the various rankings. Colleges in heavily populated states are going to have more people applying.
Wow, just wow. It's Simpsonvillian!! There is nobody else on the planet that would make this claim with a straight face.

Cal
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UC Davis
UCSB
et al.

vs

Clemson
USC
The Citadel?
?????

Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM

California is by far the most populated state....why would you expect SC to have a similar number of colleges.

The majority of students at public universities are in state.

I would say College of CHarleston is as good as William and Mary which you claim is 2nd best college in Virginia which seems kind of dubious with several other Virginia university offering a larger number of majors.

COC and W&M are very similar liberal arts colleges. I believe COC has 5000 more students than W&M. I don't think you can explain why W&M is better than COC, a college that you did not seem be aware of if you listed the Citadel instead of it. I believe COC is the 12th or so oldest university in the country and very popular with northeastern kids due it being in downtown Charleston.

I know that if a person wants to live in the Carolinas, a degree from a California university that you think it is better isn't going to be an advantage over one from a local university.

Outside of Cal and UCLA, those Cal colleges probably don't have much name recognition on east coast. A lot of people probably think they are branch colleges like USC-Upstate and USC-Aiken in SC.

The good thing about living in a state like SC is you have a better chance of getting into one of the Power 5 Conference universities than you do is heavily populated states like California. UCLA and Cal only admitting like 10 percent of the in state students that apply every year.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-20-2018 at 06:35 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Pennsylvania is the only state with its name on an Ivy League university.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Pennsylvania is the only state with its name on an Ivy League university.

It also has two state schools with other state names

California University of PA
Indiana University of PA

Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 AM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
California is by far the most populated state....why would you expect SC to have a similar number of colleges.

The majority of students at public universities are in state.

I would say College of CHarleston is as good as William and Mary which you claim is 2nd best college in Virginia which seems kind of dubious with several other Virginia university offering a larger number of majors.

COC and W&M are very similar liberal arts colleges. I believe COC has 5000 more students than W&M. I don't think you can explain why W&M is better than COC, a college that you did not seem be aware of if you listed the Citadel instead of it. I believe COC is the 12th or so oldest university in the country and very popular with northeastern kids due it being in downtown Charleston.

I know that if a person wants to live in the Carolinas, a degree from a California university that you think it is better isn't going to be an advantage over one from a local university.

Outside of Cal and UCLA, those Cal colleges probably don't have much name recognition on east coast. A lot of people probably think they are branch colleges like USC-Upstate and USC-Aiken in SC.

The good thing about living in a state like SC is you have a better chance of getting into one of the Power 5 Conference universities than you do is heavily populated states like California. UCLA and Cal only admitting like 10 percent of the in state students that apply every year.
And the reverse is true in CA.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,845,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And the reverse is true in CA.
Trust me on this, nobody outside of South Carolina and it's immediate environs--adjacent areas in NC and GA--know of the University of South Carolina as "USC". USC, as in the University of Southern California, has national and global influence and recognition. It isnt the first college of choice for most easterners, but hell, UofSouth Carolina isn't a first choice college for mostly anybody from anywhere outside of SC...

Only Simpsonvillian would try to act as if the esteem and performance of Southern Cal and South Carolina are on the same level, or that South Carolina is a greater school. As close as Fayetteville, only 2.5 hours away from Columbia, South Carolina is not generally referred to as "USC". But the Trojans of Southern Cal are known nationally...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or