U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: After California, which state has the best 1-2 punch in public u's
AZ: UA, ASU 0 0%
CO: CU, Colo Mines 3 3.33%
TX: UT, A&M 12 13.33%
IN: IU, Pur 8 8.89%
MI: U-M, MSU 23 25.56%
OH: OSU, Miami 0 0%
FL: UF, FSU 6 6.67%
GA: UGA, GT 16 17.78%
NC: UNC, NCSU 12 13.33%
VA: UVA, W&M 27 30.00%
PA: PSU, Pitt 11 12.22%
NY: Bing, Sny Bro 4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 PM
 
13,588 posts, read 22,040,652 times
Reputation: 4612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Can you elaborate on why you say this? I assume you are referencing the US News rankings.

Michigan State has a better STEM reputation than UGA, which only recently began to offer engineering programs.

Michigan Tech is also very good university, 77 percent or so of its granted degrees are in a STEM field.
OK, I am not putting something down in order to push something else up.


Both the University of Michigan and Michigan State University are great schools.


It's just that, for the purposes of this thread, the 1-2 punch of Georgia is better than Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2018, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Reputation: 2926
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK, I am not putting something down in order to push something else up.


Both the University of Michigan and Michigan State University are great schools.


It's just that, for the purposes of this thread, the 1-2 punch of Georgia is better than Michigan.
Ok, it is cool if you think that. I didn't attend any of these colleges so it wouldn't matter to me if you were knocking them.

I was only wondering if you can elaborate. What is your basis for that assertion? I assume it is the US News rankings but you have not mentioned them.

Can you give some specific reasons for why Georgia and G Tech are better schools?

I tend to view all large 'flagship' and land grant universities as being similar. G Tech is pretty unique with it being over 70 percent STEM graduates a year, but Michigan Tech is a similar polytech college.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-22-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 05:18 PM
 
172 posts, read 75,971 times
Reputation: 146
The difference is in the rankings.
Georgia Tech is 4th in the US for Engineering. It also has great internship and career finding opportunities.
Michigan Tech isn't even in the top 25.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ring-doctorate

US News Ranking
-University of Michigan- #4 for public schools and #28 nationally
-Georgia Institute of Technology- #7 for public schools and #34 nationally
-University of Georgia- #16 for public schools and #54 nationally
-Michigan State University- #33 for public schools and #81 nationally
This shows that the Georgia schools are better based on rankings.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ies/top-public
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Reputation: 2926
Ok, but how are the people at a magazine qualified to rank engineering programs if they are not engineers?

Is there evidence that a majority of companies that hire engineers would give preference to a Georgia Tech grad over a Michigan Tech grad if they both applied to a job?

I don't think there is any evidence that most employers defer to the US News rankings when hiring people. I can give an example of why the US News rankings are not legit. It has universities like Oregon State and Iowa State ranked much lower than Clemson even though the companies that hire engineers view these universities as similar universities.

US News has universities like UNC and William & Mary ranked above universities that offer engineering, architecture and other STEM majors that they don't offer.


I would be surprised if Michigan Tech does not have a good internship program. Their website indicates they have internships http://www.mtu.edu/career/students/jobs/co-ops/

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-22-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Reputation: 2926
US News created this list of universities that grant the largest percentage of degrees in STEM fields.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blo...t-stem-degrees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 06:49 PM
 
172 posts, read 75,971 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok, but how are the people at a magazine qualified to rank engineering programs if they are not engineers?

Is there evidence that a majority of companies that hire engineers would give preference to a Georgia Tech grad over a Michigan Tech grad if they both applied to a job?

I don't think there is any evidence that most employers defer to the US News rankings when hiring people. I can give an example of why the US News rankings are not legit. It has universities like Oregon State and Iowa State ranked much lower than Clemson even though the companies that hire engineers view these universities as similar universities.

US News has universities like UNC and William & Mary ranked above universities that offer engineering, architecture and other STEM majors that they don't offer.


I would be surprised if Michigan Tech does not have a good internship program. Their website indicates they have internships Co-ops and Internships | Career Services | Michigan Tech
It shows that Georgia Tech is one of the best for Interships/Co-ops.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...nship-programs

This article says Georgia Tech is number 13 for best STEM colleges.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carterc.../#1c1af5a166a4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Reputation: 2926
That looks bogus to me because it is college presidents and other academic people simply nominating colleges they think have good internship programs, and their perception of other colleges is no doubt influenced by the US News rankings.

I don't think most people have in depth knowledge of most colleges in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Reputation: 2926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
It shows that Georgia Tech is one of the best for Interships/Co-ops.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...nship-programs

This article says Georgia Tech is number 13 for best STEM colleges.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carterc.../#1c1af5a166a4
Forbes list seems dubious with the Coast Guard and Merchant Marine academies being on there.

I think it makes more sense to look at both percentage and the number of students in STEM programs. A larger university like Iowa State probably has a greater number of engineering students than most of the colleges on the Forbes list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Reputation: 2926
Here are enrollment stats that show the total number of engineering students at the largest engineering colleges. https://www.asee.org/documents/paper...nt-Section.pdf

Iowa State and Oregon State are both in the top 20 in the number of undergraduate engineering degrees awarded in a 10 year period, but are not ranked high in the US News rankings.

I think a industry resource like this is more useful than the US News rankings if a student knows what he wants to study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 08:01 PM
 
172 posts, read 75,971 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Here are enrollment stats that show the total number of engineering students at the largest engineering colleges. https://www.asee.org/documents/paper...nt-Section.pdf

Iowa State and Oregon State are both in the top 20 in the number of undergraduate engineering degrees awarded in a 10 year period, but are not ranked high in the US News rankings.

I think a industry resource like this is more useful than the US News rankings if a student knows what he wants to study.
Georgia Tech was number 1 on the list. First you say Michigan Tech is equal. Now you say Georgia Tech is better. I am confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top