U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,865 posts, read 6,528,109 times
Reputation: 5337

Advertisements

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 PM
 
233 posts, read 106,754 times
Reputation: 279
The answer is without a doubt: Alaska.

I went to some of those northern slope towns - the towns where you need a plane to reach and they have an arctic climate. As I was walking around, locals would come out of their shack-like houses and take photos of me as if I was dropped onto this planet from Mars.

Nowhere in Hawaii can you find such extreme isolation and a dramatically different culture as you can in portions of Alaska. But Hawaii is firmly number 2 in this thanks to being an isolated archipelago in the middle of the pacific with a fusion of Asian and Pacific Island culture.

So once we get past the easy picks - Alaska, Hawaii - what's left?

Well I nominate New Mexico. Mention to Texas, Louisiana, Utah, and Maine.

Definitely not Florida, Florida is generic Americana in most of the state. Yeah, I guess Miami is dominated by Latinos and is sort of unique, but it's not enough to propel Florida by itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,465 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
The answer is without a doubt: Alaska.

I went to some of those northern slope towns - the towns where you need a plane to reach and they have an arctic climate. As I was walking around, locals would come out of their shack-like houses and take photos of me as if I was dropped onto this planet from Mars.

Nowhere in Hawaii can you find such extreme isolation and a dramatically different culture as you can in portions of Alaska. But Hawaii is firmly number 2 in this thanks to being an isolated archipelago in the middle of the pacific with a fusion of Asian and Pacific Island culture.

So once we get past the easy picks - Alaska, Hawaii - what's left?

Well I nominate New Mexico. Mention to Texas, Louisiana, Utah, and Maine.

Definitely not Florida, Florida is generic Americana in most of the state. Yeah, I guess Miami is dominated by Latinos and is sort of unique, but it's not enough to propel Florida by itself.
Sure but that's a rather small portion of the state, I really wouldn't say that those small isolated communities represent the culture of Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:22 PM
 
233 posts, read 106,754 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sure but that's a rather small portion of the state, I really wouldn't say that those small isolated communities represent the culture of Alaska.
Geographically, it's a huge area of the state. But it's, by population, a small percentage. But then Alaska isn't that big (population) and even Anchorage and Juneau are more dominated by native culture than any cities in the US I can think of. Have you been to Alaska? I'm guessing you have been Hawaii, to be pushing it. I've been to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 PM
 
39 posts, read 26,074 times
Reputation: 28
Definitely Hawaii, followed by Alaska.

A harder question would be, what is the most culturally unique of the 48 contiguous state? Utah, Louisiana, and New Mexico are the contenders for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,465 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
Geographically, it's a huge area of the state. But it's, by population, a small percentage. But then Alaska isn't that big (population) and even Anchorage and Juneau are more dominated by native culture than any cities in the US I can think of. Have you been to Alaska? I'm guessing you have been Hawaii, to be pushing it. I've been to both.
That's interesting because their populations are so heavily white. No I haven't but yes I've been to Hawaii many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM
 
233 posts, read 106,754 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's interesting because their populations are so heavily white. No I haven't but yes I've been to Hawaii many times.
I'm talking about native culture. Juneau is 12% Native, Anchorage is 9% and Honolulu is 8%. Yes, Honolulu has a lot of Asians but so do several coastal California cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:51 PM
 
39 posts, read 26,074 times
Reputation: 28
Come to think of it, I’d say Utah if I had to to pick one of the lower 48 states to be the most culturally different. No other state is quite so dominated by a single church. Most Utah counties are Mormon-majority, and the few that aren’t at least have LDS pluralities.

Louisiana is certainly unique too, but the Franco/Catholic heritage is mostly in the Southern part of the state. North Louisiana is typical Deep South. New Mexico is unique for its deep-rooted Hispanic and Native American populations, but other Southwest states also now have large Hispanic populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:51 PM
 
416 posts, read 201,739 times
Reputation: 537
Living in Hawaii is like living in a different country altogether.

If you never spent time in other countries it might not seem true.

Can't really think of much similar to the mainland except the use of american money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,465 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
I'm talking about native culture. Juneau is 12% Native, Anchorage is 9% and Honolulu is 8%. Yes, Honolulu has a lot of Asians but so do several coastal California cities.
Got it, I think this thread was about overall culture though. No other metro area is really comparable with Honolulu as far as Asians. Honolulu is pretty dominated by it's native culture as well though too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top