U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 PM

87,010 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I don't think any of the larger states qualify, by definition, since they constitute a large proportion of the country's population.. so that disqualifies:

California
Texas
Florida
New York

These *are* the states that define American culture by their sheer population and influence.

Now, the states that deviate the most from the mainstream:

Alaska
Hawaii
Utah
Nevada
Oregon
Seriously (re: the bold)? I've been to all three; people there all live pretty normal lifestyles. 50 years ago, Utah was more of a theocracy than other states, but its biggest city has become much more diverse since then. Nevada has the gambling culture, but basically most people eat, work, sleep like everywhere else, and Oregon is quite conventional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
New Mexico, Nevada, Louisiana, and Texas are all contenders. New Mexico or Louisiana probably take the cake.
Again, seriously? Especially Texas. Most people live in Dallas, Houston, Austin and/or their suburbs, living pretty conventional lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
California isn’t the only State with Spanish as a commonly spoken language. Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, and maybe a few others too.
Colorado, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Vermont

Hawaii and Alaska are too obvious
Vermont? What's non-mainstream about it? It's more rural than many states, but has more people on far less land than Wyoming.

My vote, after Alaska and Hawaii would be New Mexico. Majority minority with a very Mexican/Spanish subculture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 04:18 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,609,575 times
Hawaii by far. Of the lower 48 I would pick Louisiana.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 PM

920 posts, read 1,016,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Hawaii by far. Of the lower 48 I would pick Louisiana.
While southern Louisiana is somewhat culturally different from the rest of the country, northern Louisiana is like the states of Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:54 PM

172 posts, read 91,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrda99 View Post
Hard to say, honestly. No state in the midwest seems that different from the rest. Northern WI (and MI's UP) seems similar to MN, especially northern MN, which also resembles parts of nearby Canada, too. Northwestern MN seems similar to ND (eastern) and southern MN is like IA.
Minnesotans have quirks about them that make them a little different from other Midwestern states imo. The surrounding states have areas that are MN-like though usually the parts close to the MN border.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:16 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
My vote goes to Hawaii. Florida is unique but it's uniqueness comes from its status as a melting pot which is true of quite a few other states. Hawaii really feels like a different country.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:35 PM

80 posts, read 41,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
This seems right. Midwest kinda blurs from one area to another gradually, but no area is THAT different from any other in the Midwest, except maybe Chicago and a few other large cities (even to me, being from eastern ND, there are some similarities despite the large difference in size).

Western Dakotas are a different animal and have a substantially different feel (both ND and SD). Much less Midwestern.

Yeah, I've always considered western Dakotas (especially SD) and western NE and KS to be West and their eastern parts to be Midwest. Even though KS has something Southern about it... maybe I'm wrong.

Back on topic...for those saying Alaska and Hawaii, as I've said, totally forgot to say Lower 48.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM

87,010 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrda99 View Post
Yeah, I've always considered western Dakotas (especially SD) and western NE and KS to be West and their eastern parts to be Midwest. Even though KS has something Southern about it... maybe I'm wrong.

Back on topic...for those saying Alaska and Hawaii, as I've said, totally forgot to say Lower 48.
In that case, New Mexico.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:55 PM

14,417 posts, read 26,243,872 times
First, we would have to define what unites the "rest of the country."

Old 04-03-2018, 10:35 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Florida, to me, is not culturally different from the rest of the country. Hawaii easily wins this.
South Florida feels like you're in a foreign country, more so than anywhere else in America except possibly South Texas, but most of Florida is quite mainstream American especially places like the Panhandle or Tampa or Orlando.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Hawaii
California
Nevada (something about all the gambling and brothels seriously)
Utah (widespread Mormon culture)
Washington state (especially Seattle)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or