U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM

1,247 posts, read 717,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
As others have said, it's going to depend on where you live in each state. Typically cities are going to be more expensive than are rural areas.

There are some expensive areas in the Carolinas, TN, and GA but none of those states are particularly expensive overall in comparison to Florida IMO and in my experience.

I lived in TN and yeah there were no income taxes but with the 9% sales tax, that's even higher than my home state of NY, lol. You know that your tax rate is high when you have NY beat As you also mentioned, even groceries are taxed there. TN is the only state that I lived in where I paid tax on groceries. Now if you live in a place in TN close to the KY border...then you can run there on the weekends as KY doesn't tax groceries. When I was staying in Nashville, running up to Bowling Green KY for groceries became a weekend run It's only a 45 minute drive.

The larger cities in the Carolinas are more expensive but they are not NYC or LA expensive. My brother lived in Charleston for a brief time and was paying $1250 a month rent for a 3 bedroom place down there; rents 25-30 miles away were around $750-$800 a month for the same thing.

North Carolina is probably the nicest of the lot since they have the mountains, tolerable weather if you live near the coast/higher elevations, a more diversified economy, and a lot of options in terms of places to live.

Definitely do your research on the areas you are interested in before hand and if finances permit, try to take a couple of long weekends to do some visits to the places. No place is "perfect" to live, but if you can find somewhere that you will be happier and can have more money to spend on what's important to you then I say go for it
Yeah, I'd prefer to stay in the outskirts of a major city since it's usually cheaper and live in a small town. For TN I considered the Knoxville area and have looked at Farragut, Maryville, Lenoir City, etc. For SC I considered Greenville or Rock Hill. Maybe Columbia, seemed okay when I visited last year. In GA I looked at northern or western suburbs of Atlanta, like Carrolton, or Gainesville. Atlanta itself seems to be pretty expensive. Nashville looks pretty cool but also seems to be pricey. Not sure how the suburbs there are, like Mt Juliet, Murfreesboro, or Cookeville, etc.

Some posters have said that NC is more expensive to a degree than FL is so that's discouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:08 AM

23,556 posts, read 17,535,380 times
If you're a working person, Knoxville is a pretty good value. Housing is very reasonable. Groceries are more reasonable than more rural areas east of there where Food City and Walmart pretty much have a monopoly. Knoxville has enough shopping for most people's day to day needs. As a city, I still prefer Greenville, but they are pretty close.

The higher income you are, the better that no income tax is.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 AM

1,266 posts, read 746,831 times
Regardless of income taxes and all of that, some tiny rural town in SC is going to have a cheaper COL than Atlanta, Charleston, Raleigh, Charlotte, and any other booming southeast city. It doesn't really come down to the state so much as the city/town you reside in.

I've lived in extremely economically depressed ghetto towns in upstate NY that had a lower COL than where I live now in Raleigh. Despite the fact that NY has higher taxes than NC.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
I ran across this in the WNC discussion:

Quote:
There is no sales tax when you buy a car. Every time you title a car, you pay a 3% Highway Use Tax. For an NC resident, there is no maximum. If you are moving here from another state, and titling your car in NC, the tax is capped at $250.
In TN there is no cap on state sales tax. It worked out to be around 7.75% last two cars I bought. Something to consider if you like to buy expensive/ new cars. Maybe leasing is the answer if you live in TN. At least sales tax paid on a car has been deductible in addition to a sales tax percentage from a chart used when calculating US itemized deductions.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:38 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,768,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Tennessee is not cheap for a Southern state. South Carolina is probably your best bet. Personally, I'd prefer North Carolina.
This is not true for Tennessee outside of Nashville. Nashville tends to be increasing rentals and housing costs very rapidly. In most other TN cities and metros, the cost of living is pretty reasonable and borderline inexpensive.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:41 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,768,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Do you mean in comparison with the average income? Most online reports show that cost of living is lower on average in TN vs GA and the Carolinas. But I'm not sure how accurate this data is.
As far as I can tell, they are referring to the Nashville area, because Tennessee on the whole is incredibly reasonable and mostly inexpensive to live, especially comparing it to other regions in the US.

But as with any "hot area that is growing," it's the supply vs demand model that applies. Supply is limited, so prices increase. Nashville is a red hot brand across many areas nationally right now....so naturally, costs increase.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
I lived in Charlotte for most of my life but was taxed right out of my uptown home. My husband and I moved just over the state line into SC. We love it! Great schools in Clover, SC, 8 miles from Charlotte without the cost. I can commute to Charlotte for work, go to the cultural events, fine restaurants, excellent medical services all I want but enjoy lower taxes & an excellent quantity of life in SC. Greenville, SC is also a really great city although not sure of the cost. Greenville is so pretty & vibrant.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
North Carolina is the most expensive, and Georgia is getting much more expensive than before. South Carolina is the cheapest, though Charleston and Hilton Head Island are getting more expensive. Tennessee is relatively cheap too, though Nashville is getting more expensive.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 AM

23,556 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
North Carolina is the most expensive, and Georgia is getting much more expensive than before. South Carolina is the cheapest, though Charleston and Hilton Head Island are getting more expensive. Tennessee is relatively cheap too, though Nashville is getting more expensive.
Other than Atlanta (maybe), Nashville is easily the most expensive city in any of the states.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM

493 posts, read 253,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Other than Atlanta (maybe), Nashville is easily the most expensive city in any of the states.
Charleston is more expensive than Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or