U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:52 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,770,558 times

Advertisements

In other words, which part of the country tends to have the most overzealous law enforcement and which part has the laziest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,394,055 times
Virginia is horrid! Aircraft cops are not cool.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:56 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
Traffic kills more people than crime in the US, by a huge margin. They should be enforcing the hell out of traffic laws.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Only the state police are allowed to run radar in Pennsylvania.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:26 PM

1,052 posts, read 587,123 times
I will say Virginia is perhaps the WORST state in the country in terms of speeding enforcement and strictness. It is actually quite over the top there.

Pennsylvania is pretty lenient. I've been pulled over 4 times from ages of 21 - 26 I am 28 now. (3 times on the PA Turnpike and once on a local road). Each time, only received a warning and told to not speed. In Pennsylvania you still have to pay a fine, but no points on your license and no record. My cousin who is 19 was also pulled over on the Pennsylvania Turnpike doing 95 MPH in the 70 MPH speed limit and also just received a warning. Again quite lenient.

With that, I have ZERO clue how other states work, I just know PA State Police are pretty freaking nice on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Ha which the Pennsylvania Turnpike is 70 M.P.H. (Many people are doing 80+ and caravans of cars going 90 MPH is not uncommon on any level).

Old 02-26-2018, 07:38 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
I've heard that state troopers in Kansas will ticket you for 1-5 over.

I haven't been pulled over in ~ 4 years. I've driven in at least 15 states since then. That time 4 years ago was for a red light ticket in a municipality (Lakeside, CO) that has 65 cops for 8 residents. It was close, but I doubt I would have been pulled over anywhere else.

There's another municipality just south of there (Mountain View, CO), a town of ~ 500 people that has an inordinate amount of cops/over-policing.

I was pulled over in the Black Hills of South Dakota c. 2012 for going 15 over. The cop was so nice that he let me off with a warning.

In 2009, I was pulled over in Pullman, WA for singing along to "Only You" by the Platters. The cop tried to say I was speeding, but I think he just saw me having a good time so he put a stop to it. He told me cops in four counties across two states would be "watching" me. No ticket, but I was added to some sort of "list".

Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
It varies from city to county to state. And in my experience, it's based on revenue. Poor city/county = lots of tickets.

It also matters how busy their cops are. Are they understaffed and have way more important things to deal with?

One wealthy city I know of that nails everyone, is Davis, CA. Their cops don't have enough to do. They even cite bicyclists.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I will say Virginia is perhaps the WORST state in the country in terms of speeding enforcement and strictness. It is actually quite over the top there.

Pennsylvania is pretty lenient. I've been pulled over 4 times from ages of 21 - 26 I am 28 now. (3 times on the PA Turnpike and once on a local road). Each time, only received a warning and told to not speed. In Pennsylvania you still have to pay a fine, but no points on your license and no record. My cousin who is 19 was also pulled over on the Pennsylvania Turnpike doing 95 MPH in the 70 MPH speed limit and also just received a warning. Again quite lenient.

With that, I have ZERO clue how other states work, I just know PA State Police are pretty freaking nice on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Ha which the Pennsylvania Turnpike is 70 M.P.H. (Many people are doing 80+ and caravans of cars going 90 MPH is not uncommon on any level).
Wait until the entire Turnpike is six lanes. That'll be fun.

Anyway, this is my own, anecdotal experience, so take it for what it's worth:

High level of speed enforcement

Florida
Georgia
Maryland
Ohio
Virginia

Average level of speed enforcement

Alabama
Arizona
California
Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Missouri
Oklahoma
Tennessee
West Virginia

Low level of speed enforcement

Arkansas
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Nevada
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Texas

Old 02-27-2018, 11:12 AM

1,041 posts, read 521,719 times
The strictest in my travels has been Virginia, particularly outside of Northern Virginia. Arizona and Louisiana also come to mind as pretty strict.

The most lenient are the urban areas of Texas (particularly Houston), the Atlanta area, South Florida, Chicagoland. I'd say Southern California is somewhere between the two.

As another poster said, it does vary even within states. I agree that speed enforcement is a lot more aggressive in poorer and rural counties, regardless of state.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,770,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

My dad and nearly half the people he knew had gotten tickets in Pennsylvania (but that was back in the 80s and 90s.) I still clearly remember him getting a ticket for going something like 10 over on the PA turnpike in 1994 when the speed limit was 55.. and he still hasn't paid it to this date.

Quote:
One wealthy city I know of that nails everyone, is Davis, CA. Their cops don't have enough to do. They even cite bicyclists.
I've lived there so I know what you're talking about! I don't think I ever drove more than 5 over the speed limit the entire 2 years I lived there and still ended up getting a ticket on my bike! Almost every other day I've seen cars being pulled over on the roads. I've never seen a place with such strict enforcement in my entire life. They also have this single road that connects I-80 to the downtown and at least once a month, sometimes every weekend, cops would block that road and set up a sobriety checkpoint.

Quote:
The most lenient are the urban areas of Texas (particularly Houston), the Atlanta area, South Florida, Chicagoland. I'd say Southern California is somewhere between the two.
From what I've seen, rural Texas is very strict and urban Texas is pretty lax while California seems to be more uniformly moderate in enforcement in both urban and rural areas (except for some nutcase cities like Davis.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or