U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:38 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,142,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Of that group, Colorado {and Massachusetts} are the most diverse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado#Demographics
Not very diverse at all:

According to the 2010 United States Census, Colorado had a population of 5,029,196. Racial composition of the state's population was:

81.3% White American (70.0% Non-Hispanic White, 11.3% Hispanic white)
20.7% Hispanic and Latino American (of any race) heritage
7.2% Some Other Race
4.0% Black or African American
3.4% Multiracial American
2.8% Asian American
1.1% American Indian and Alaska Native
0.1% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander

Also, Coloradans are notorious for anti-transplant mentality, not wanting the state to change, and wanting the state to themselves, which goes against 'diversity' of region / regional-thought / culture.

As others have pointed out, the states in this ranking are low in diversity and essentially anti-south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 08:45 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

As others have pointed out, the states in this ranking are low in diversity and essentially anti-south.
southern states are anti-best

Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 AM

87,000 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Not very diverse at all:

According to the 2010 United States Census, Colorado had a population of 5,029,196. Racial composition of the state's population was:

81.3% White American (70.0% Non-Hispanic White, 11.3% Hispanic white)
20.7% Hispanic and Latino American (of any race) heritage
7.2% Some Other Race
4.0% Black or African American
3.4% Multiracial American
2.8% Asian American
1.1% American Indian and Alaska Native
0.1% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander

Also, Coloradans are notorious for anti-transplant mentality, not wanting the state to change, and wanting the state to themselves, which goes against 'diversity' of region / regional-thought / culture.

Well, I said of the group. Look at Iowa:

Iowa Racial Breakdown of Population
White 91.3%, 88.7 Non-Hispanic
Black or African American 2.9%
American Indian and Alaska Native 0.4%
Asian 1.7%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 0.1%
Other race 1.8%
Two or more races 1.8%

Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,772,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I don't dislike Iowa, and I think you are correct with your summary of Iowa. Polls like this look at economic growth, education, cost of living, etc. In those categories, not surprised Iowa ranks high.

Just for reference, Iowa is not flat. There are rolling hills especially in the western half, but I can see why some reference the entire State as flat.
Yeah, for sure. But to read "best state in US," is a stretch

I didn't say it was entirely flat. I said it had rolling hills and flat in certain areas

Old 03-02-2018, 01:39 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Well if you take into account that 60% of people in Iowa live in metro areas that's probably a big piece of why it scored so high. Most of their cities are quite nice, the main growth areas of Des Moines and Iowa City are very nice places. High quality of life, no traffic, low crime, high wages, low unemployment, great schools, very fast growing white collar economies.

I remember a study i saw that adjusted for cost of living Des Moines was actually the "richest" metro area if you look at average wages vs how much it costs to live there.

It's no surprise that the Des Moines/Ames CSA has ballooned to 800,000 people and that Cedar Rapids/Iowa City has grown to 436,000.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:07 AM

4,266 posts, read 5,478,884 times
Yeah Iowa is pretty good if you’re white, white collar, and like quasi suburban living. Des Moines is alright, but it’s kind of like vanilla soft serve, and Iowa is poorly representative of the U.S. as a whole. Kind of like a Midwestern Utah without the interesting landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or