Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:29 PM

43 posts, read 35,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Although winters are rough and summers can be hot, maybe consider the Dakotas. They're moderately conservative and have good down to earth people in both locations. But definitely not mild winters. Other Upper Midwestern locations have the same quality of people. But not a mild climate. Food for thought anyway.
My husband lived in North Dakota when he was a child and has some fond memories. I guess we never considered it because of the weather but definitely worth looking into it again. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 05:26 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Only because you mentioned Boston, but Saratoga Springs NY came to mind given the criteria. It fits just about everything except for weather.
Another thing to possibly consider with Saratoga Springs is that about 19% of the city’s population identifies as being of Italian descent.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Compromise

Old 03-17-2018, 05:54 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
I wouldn't exclude Cary, NC because of bugs and snakes. It's not going to be any worse than Houston. We lived in that area for a couple of years (1994-1996), and I never saw a snake. Bugs and spiders are pretty much everywhere.

Cary is a very manicured, suburban area. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area as a whole is very nice with a good mix of people. We really liked it there and probably would have stayed if not so far away from our families. The location is fantastic and just a short drive to the mountains, really nice NC beaches, and DC.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I wouldn't exclude Cary, NC because of bugs and snakes. It's not going to be any worse than Houston. We lived in that area for a couple of years (1994-1996), and I never saw a snake. Bugs and spiders are pretty much everywhere.

Cary is a very manicured, suburban area. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area as a whole is very nice with a good mix of people. We really liked it there and probably would have stayed if not so far away from our families. The location is fantastic and just a short drive to the mountains, really nice NC beaches, and DC.

Thank you! we will be visiting Raleigh/The Triangle soon. Right now, the finalists are actually Cary, NC and Franklyn, TN.

And you are right about bugs in Houston... last week, my neighbors found some Coral snake (highly poisonous) on a path we always walk on and yesterday we found a Lone Star tick crawling on my husband's leg! I panicked because it's a dangerous one, still haven't recovered completely! I don't know if I'll ever find a place for me in the States!

Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Please, take it from a well-traveled, level-headed, mature and genuine guy: Do not consider North Dakota. This state is a special kind of Purgatory.

Rapid City, SD on the other hand, is several shades more colorful, people are.friendlier, and the Black Hills are truly anomalous topographical fascinations.

Sioux Falls. I do not recommend this town. It's...forgettable.

Thank you for the feedback! I don't see ourselves there. I hope you get to move to a place you love soon! Life is too short...

Last edited by Count David; 03-19-2018 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Sounds like your list is being refined and improved daily. Good luck to you BreatheJoy, and please keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.