Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times

Advertisements

I always found it strange that Rockland County in NY state has such a large Haitian population. It’s weird because The Bronx barely has Haitians and Northern NJ is mostly white and Asian. Essex county which has lots of Haitians is nowhere near Rockland County NY.

Are there other small cities and towns that you guys no about that have a random high number of a particular immigrant group?

Immigrant groups going to large cities is a no brainer but I’m always curious to know the story behind immigrants in small towns and small cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 07:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, and Middletown, NY have a lot of Mexicans

Copiague, NY has a lot of Polish people

Lowell, MA has a lot of Cambodians

Old 03-03-2018, 08:04 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, and Middletown, NY have a lot of Mexicans

Copiague, NY has a lot of Polish people

Lowell, MA has a lot of Cambodians
Yea Lowell is unique.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Wasau, WI has a large Hmong population
Dearborn, MI has a large Arabic population
Hamtramck, MI -large Bengladeshi population and a sizable Polish population
New Bedford, MA -Cape Verdeans

Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Bound Brook NJ has a large Costa Rican population.
Bernardsville, NJ has a large Paraguayan population.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I think what happens is they have friends or family come, and then by word of mouth more come who know someone, and of course, they will be comfortable being around people who know their language and culture.

The SF Bay Area has many pockets of immigrants. I remember there being quite a few Russian immigrants in Sacramento, too. But, within the city SF alone there are many different neighborhoods that are Japan town, China town, Salvadorian, irish, Russian, etc. It's foodie heaven.

And in Silicon Valley, there are large communities of Indians, etc., who come to work for the tech industry.

And of course, there are many Hispanic neighborhoods, with people from different regions of Central America.

There are also large populations of Portuguese around the Bay Area. Too many different cultures to remember. Oh, quite a few Koreans, too, it seems especially in Sunnyvale.

This is one of the biggest reasons I love the SF Bay Area. I just love the diversity.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:57 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
There are hundreds of historically ethnic communities all over the US -- German, Czech, Norwegian, Polish, Belgian, Mexican, Dutch, Finnish, etc.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Bound Brook NJ has a large Costa Rican population.
Bernardsville, NJ has a large Paraguayan population.
Interesting, Paraguayans are the least common Latinos in the US

Old 03-05-2018, 03:36 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Green Bay WI has one of the largest % of Belgian ancestry in the U.S. There are so many Belgians there that they actually have Belgian jokes.

Many small towns with big agricultural (especially fruit) industries have large Mexican populations. Where I live, Yakima Washington is around 50% Mexican and there are little towns around here that are 75%+ Mexican. Also small towns with meat packing jobs such as Garden City Kansas are often heavily Mexican.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:59 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Cortland, NY had southern Italians (still has the Italian Roman Catholic parish), and some Christian Lebanese. Before that, were Catholic Irish from the 1850's, and before that was mostly New England second sons from the 1790's. (There wasn't Euro-American organized settlement prior to the Revolution, in this area so close to the heartland of the Six Nations.) The Dutch of eastern NY were so absent (never a Reformed Church in the county) that the locals freely misspelled the county's namesake (Pierre van Cortlandt).

A more recently arrived group is Ukrainian Pentecostals. I'm not sure if it helped or hurt that the town had mostly been free of Ellis Island heyday-era Polish/Rusyn/Ukrainian Orthodox previously. (I once heard a story that a group of Eastern Europeans were told to leave town within a day, back during the time of the Palmer Red Raids.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.