U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:41 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,526,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Of course not.

But Sacramento is only going to get more expensive, and soon it’ll be well above that $410K. If someone says they have a budget of $250K-$350K, don’t you think they would obviously like to stay on the lesser end of that range? Plenty of other places to get way more bang for your buck, and not be boring & ugly like Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Salt Lake City is roughly 50% LDS, and of that 50%, there are many who are not practicing. While I would not encourage a non-LDS person to move to many parts of Utah, Salt Lake City is different. While state politics are strongly influenced by the LDS Church, Salt Lake City is not. 70% of Mormons are Republican, and the state legislature reflects this. Salt Lake City itself, on the other hand, has not had a Republican mayor in over 40 years. Our current mayor, also a Democrat, is an openly-Lesbian woman who is married to her partner. Does that sound like an LDS-dominated city to you? Don't accuse me of having my head in the sand. That could not be further from the truth.
Read the post carefully. I said Salt Lake may not be LDS as heavily as the rest of the state but it does influence the politics regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Itís not like youíre going to get publicly stoned if you arenít LDS
No, but don't expect a lot of friends.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:19 PM

21,961 posts, read 22,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Read the post carefully. I said Salt Lake may not be LDS as heavily as the rest of the state but it does influence the politics regardless.
You're one of those, huh? Have to have the last word. I'm curious... exactly how long did you live in Salt Lake City and how recently?

Quote:
No, but don't expect a lot of friends.
Yeah, definitely don't expect a lot of Mormon friends if you have an attitude like this. On the other hand, if someone has no interest in cultivating only non-Mormon friends, there are still several hundred thousand people in the Salt Lake metro area to choose from.

To the OP: If you decide to consider the Salt Lake area, I would suggest putting out some feelers over on the Salt Lake City forum. Most of the people who post there are non-Mormon transplants to Salt Lake City. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you an unbiased opinion about their experiences living in Salt Lake City.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-06-2018 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 11:47 AM

134 posts, read 59,769 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't know much about SLC but will definitely research.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:54 PM

323 posts, read 525,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmm-78 View Post
I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA a very safe, affordable city for a family of 4 with good schools. I want to move closer to my brother who lives near San Jose, Cali but CA is not affordable for me right now. Thinking a nearby city could offer cheaper airfare to go visit him more often.

What I'm looking for:

- Safe neighborhoods
- Quality education
- Family fun venues, activities, programs
- Larger houses within 250-350K budget
- Affordable health, food, dining, etc.
- In or close to a mid-size / larger city
- Close to a bigger airport
- Diverse (we are a professional, educated Latino family)

Thank you!
Sacramento should be top of your list -- it fits all your criteria. You'll be on the higher end of your housing budget, but it's only a couple hour's drive to San Jose. Phoenix or Las Vegas would work if you can handle the brutal summers. Depending on how often you visit your brother, consider the cost of airfare (and hotels?) in your calculations.

We moved here six years ago after living in the Midwest and on the East Coast. Sacramento is a vibrant, beautiful city with plenty to see and do, and the weather is great. Plus you have so many gorgeous places to visit -- Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Napa, Monterey, Yosemite, Mendocino, and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or