Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:45 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,829,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Most religious folks don't do that whatsoever. That's much more common in Baptist, Evangelical and some extreme sects where they preach the gospel like it's their job. Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and even Mormons don't do this -- at least not nearly to this extreme. I follow most closely with the Episcopal sect of Christianity (aka "Catholic-lite"), and this is just not something that we do. The only time I've ever seen such a thing first-hand is when I visited a Baptist church in college.

*Note: this is not to say that preaching to people who you don't even know is necessarily a "bad" or "wrong" thing, but it's definitely too in-your-face for most who want to keep an open mind in terms of religion/spirituality. I'd imagine the same is true for politics (esp. these days!).
This totally mirrors my life and the way I was raised.

I have lived in large and small cities in the South for 80% of my life, and I have never experienced anything even remotely similar to the what the poster you quoted keeps repeating.

I have several friends that have moved to Atlanta from Okalahoma, and they are nothing like what bawac34618 claims repeatedly. A few of them are gay as well, and would certainly share stories of this insanity if it were even remotely true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Maybe Austin?
But OTOH you are still in Texas though
Blueberry in your tomato soup. I think Houston and Dallas are ok for southern American cities, pretty liberal.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:29 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,415,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
the 3 major Ohio cities
For that matter I lived in Dayton, and it's probably about the same as far as that goes. Somebody knocking on the door every once in awhile, that's it.

Western Ohio south of Toledo and north of Dayton, we'll say centered on Lima or Wapakoneta, always gave the impression of a Bible Belt feel with the billboards and whatnot I'd see on I-75.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 2,757,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Seems like a paradox. Maybe not "open minded" towards Christianity?
Just because you don't want to be force-fed seed gospel and anti-gay bile at church means you aren't open minded towards Christianity? I lived in Oklahoma for 20 years and consider myself a Catholic. I had to leave Oklahoma precisely because the people got too in-your-face about religion.

Not tolerating religion being shoved down my throat doesn't make me close-minded. Especially when many of those religious types vote for politicians like Roy Moore who sexually assault children, have multiple divorces and extra-marital affairs.

I'm more anti-hypocricy than anti-Christian.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,859,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Most religious folks don't do that whatsoever. That's much more common in Baptist, Evangelical and some extreme sects where they preach the gospel like it's their job. Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and even Mormons don't do this -- at least not nearly to this extreme. I follow most closely with the Episcopal sect of Christianity (aka "Catholic-lite"), and this is just not something that we do. The only time I've ever seen such a thing first-hand is when I visited a Baptist church in college.

*Note: this is not to say that preaching to people who you don't even know is necessarily a "bad" or "wrong" thing, but it's definitely too in-your-face for most who want to keep an open mind in terms of religion/spirituality. I'd imagine the same is true for politics (esp. these days!).
Muslims do this in extreme measure in foreign countries trying to convert people in masses not so much in the states. Evangelical Christians are the worst at this in the USA but at the same time if you tell them to stop or you are not interesting they are usually pretty friendly and stop and same with Mormons. Never heard of Jews trying to covert anybody to their religion worldwide so as an Agnostic I prefer their religion the best. Not sure about what Catholics do they can be religious but not in your face about it as Evangelical Baptist people and Southern evangelical christians.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 AM

9,339 posts, read 6,879,028 times
Vegas

Old 03-14-2018, 01:00 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,188,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Just because you don't want to be force-fed seed gospel and anti-gay bile at church means you aren't open minded towards Christianity? I lived in Oklahoma for 20 years and consider myself a Catholic. I had to leave Oklahoma precisely because the people got too in-your-face about religion.

Not tolerating religion being shoved down my throat doesn't make me close-minded. Especially when many of those religious types vote for politicians like Roy Moore who sexually assault children, have multiple divorces and extra-marital affairs.
There are a lot of places in the US where the people are observably Christian, yet you will not be force-fed gospel or anti-gay bile.

You can't use Oklahoma or Alabama as examples of the general social climate of anywhere that isn't Berkely or Boston.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,412,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are a lot of places in the US where the people are observably Christian, yet you will not be force-fed gospel or anti-gay bile.

You can't use Oklahoma or Alabama as examples of the general social climate of anywhere that isn't Berkely or Boston.
And some of the most in-your-face about Christianity folks I've met were in California.. a few even in Berkeley of all places.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
And some of the most in-your-face about Christianity folks I've met were in California.. a few even in Berkeley of all places.
That white supremist that marched in Charlottesville worked at a restaurant in Berkeley. It's not against the law.

There are going to be conservatives in Cali, just like there are liberals in Texas. Doesn't mean it's the norm in both places.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 AM

601 posts, read 956,864 times
Raleigh and Durham are pretty cheap and secular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.