U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:03 AM

2,774 posts, read 2,503,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As a liberal atheist living in an ultra-right wing fundamentalist town where my head is constantly beat over the head with a Bible, I can fully understand wanting to live in a place that is progressive and open minded. The good thing is, most cities fit the bill. Just stay away from Oklahoma City.
Seems like a paradox. Maybe not "open minded" towards Christianity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 06:36 AM

6,804 posts, read 11,798,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
You are not going to find any especially major cities like that. Face it America is a really religious country in general.
True, even the least religious states of Washington, Oregon, Vermont, etc are still fairly religious when compared to most EU nations except Italy.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah for university towns they might consider Moscow, Idaho which is right across the border from Pullman Washington. Both are cheap and liberal and in a part of the country that isn't very religious.
I'm a bit surprised that Idaho is one of the less religious states since it's considered fairly socially conservative.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 AM

9,126 posts, read 4,161,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Seems like a paradox. Maybe not "open minded" towards Christianity?
Nobody wants to be beat over the head with a Bible and told they are not worthy of even living and deserve to die and go to hell 24/7/365 because they have some personality flaw and don't conform. I wouldn't expect a fundamentalist Bible believing Baptist to enjoy living somewhere like the Castro district of San Francisco either.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:25 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,862,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Idaho is one of the less religious states since it's considered fairly socially conservative.
Rural vs urban divide. The West also traditionally has been more mistrusting of government and rebellious. I would say the West isn't so much conservative in terms of bible belt but more like right leaning economically which is not affected by religion at all.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Nobody wants to be beat over the head with a Bible and told they are not worthy of even living and deserve to die and go to hell 24/7/365 because they have some personality flaw and don't conform. I wouldn't expect a fundamentalist Bible believing Baptist to enjoy living somewhere like the Castro district of San Francisco either.
I don't go around broadcasting my lack of religious beliefs but I don't shy away from stating it either when asked (except at work where I might change the subject.) I live in perhaps the most religiously conservative metro area in the US and I'd rather contribute to diversifying my locale than to move back to San Francisco and be around others with similarly socially liberal ideals as mine.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:00 PM

1,575 posts, read 731,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Rural vs urban divide. The West also traditionally has been more mistrusting of government and rebellious. I would say the West isn't so much conservative in terms of bible belt but more like right leaning economically which is not affected by religion at all.
But that's the thing, it's even pretty socially conservative on issues like LGBT rights, the death penalty, pot, etc. Compare to, say, Alaska which is also fiscally conservative and one of the least religious states - but has no death penalty, legal weed, and legalized gay marriage before the country as a whole.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the people in a few Western states (Idaho, Utah, parts of Nevada) who are religious tend to be *really* religious, namely Mormon, and have centralized religious structures and lots of political power, which helps keep the states' policies pretty socially conservative. Juxtapose that with Rust Belt states like Michigan and Minnesota, for example, which are pretty religious, but also socially liberal because people are more likely to be passively Christian rather than evangelically so.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:24 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,862,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
But that's the thing, it's even pretty socially conservative on issues like LGBT rights, the death penalty, pot, etc. Compare to, say, Alaska which is also fiscally conservative and one of the least religious states - but has no death penalty, legal weed, and legalized gay marriage before the country as a whole.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the people in a few Western states (Idaho, Utah, parts of Nevada) who are religious tend to be *really* religious, namely Mormon, and have centralized religious structures and lots of political power, which helps keep the states' policies pretty socially conservative. Juxtapose that with Rust Belt states like Michigan and Minnesota, for example, which are pretty religious, but also socially liberal because people are more likely to be passively Christian rather than evangelically so.
Also, Minnesota's Lutheran have a longstanding tradition of social justice since the Scandinavian days.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 PM

87,045 posts, read 102,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Buffalo, NY?
I always thought Buffalo was pretty heavily Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Idaho has a lot of LDS (Mormons).

Old 03-09-2018, 08:52 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,332,888 times
Quote:
Most religious folks don't do that whatsoever. That's much more common in Baptist, Evangelical and some extreme sects where they preach the gospel like it's their job. Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and even Mormons don't do this -- at least not nearly to this extreme. I follow most closely with the Episcopal sect of Christianity (aka "Catholic-lite"), and this is just not something that we do. The only time I've ever seen such a thing first-hand is when I visited a Baptist church in college.

*Note: this is not to say that preaching to people who you don't even know is necessarily a "bad" or "wrong" thing, but it's definitely too in-your-face for most who want to keep an open mind in terms of religion/spirituality. I'd imagine the same is true for politics (esp. these days!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or