U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times

Advertisements

Learning to put up with, ignore, and accept people of other values/ideas will free up to many more possibilities. A person often limits his/her choices by their limiting mindset.

I moved from one of those "evil" / mostly conservative places to a supposedly more open-minded one, and ended up liking and preferring the original location much more. The location change didn't solve the matter. I ended up changing. Sometimes our attitude and perspective needs an overhaul and upgrade...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:14 PM

979 posts, read 356,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Muslims do this in extreme measure in foreign countries trying to convert people in masses not so much in the states. Evangelical Christians are the worst at this in the USA but at the same time if you tell them to stop or you are not interesting they are usually pretty friendly and stop and same with Mormons. Never heard of Jews trying to covert anybody to their religion worldwide so as an Agnostic I prefer their religion the best. Not sure about what Catholics do they can be religious but not in your face about it as Evangelical Baptist people and Southern evangelical christians.
In general the term "Jewish" is though of as both a religious and an ethnic identity among the Jewish community. While they don't specifically turn away converts, they certainly don't seek them out. You typically are Jewish by birth, much the same way as you would be English, French, American, etc.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:17 PM

979 posts, read 356,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That white supremist that marched in Charlottesville worked at a restaurant in Berkeley. It's not against the law.

There are going to be conservatives in Cali, just like there are liberals in Texas. Doesn't mean it's the norm in both places.
It does mean, though, that no matter where you live, you probably should learn to get along with people regardless of political or religious beliefs rather than trying to move somewhere so as to isolate yourself from beliefs that are different from yours. If you're trying to avoid Conservatives, Liberals, Libertarians, atheists, Christians, etc., you likely will fail no matter where you live. People of all different beliefs are everywhere; learn to deal with it rather than avoiding it; you just might learn something from someone who sees the world differently than you do.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:51 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
It does mean, though, that no matter where you live, you probably should learn to get along with people regardless of political or religious beliefs rather than trying to move somewhere so as to isolate yourself from beliefs that are different from yours. If you're trying to avoid Conservatives, Liberals, Libertarians, atheists, Christians, etc., you likely will fail no matter where you live. People of all different beliefs are everywhere; learn to deal with it rather than avoiding it; you just might learn something from someone who sees the world differently than you do.
Yeah, well that waiter from Berkeley learned to hate liberals more I guess.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:54 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Detroit is a very Democratic and very cheap city. Probably some of the cheapest housing values in the nation. The same goes for the Rio Grande Valley, places like Brownsville and Laredo which are very Democratic and full of sanctuary cities.

I hear Asheville, North Carolina and Yellow Springs, Ohio are smaller cities/towns with lots of hippie type people. New Orleans is very liberal within the city itself but the rest of Louisiana, including NO's suburbs, are conservative.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:10 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, well that waiter from Berkeley learned to hate liberals more I guess.
Same thing happened to me after living in Berkeley and SF and i ended up boycotting the Democratic party and voting Republican for every entry in local elections in Berkeley and SF.

Funny thing though, once I moved to West Texas, i got sick of the strongly Conservative rhetoric and voted for all the Democrats and liberal Republicans to be put into their local offices.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 PM

10,552 posts, read 13,109,387 times
^ yeah I've started to vote for the most plausible conservatives locally (not right wing bat **** crazy) but socially liberal and fiscally responsible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or