Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:43 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
The Central Valley is a lot like West Texas, western Oklahoma, and most of the western South-Central US. Lots of rural agricultural communities, pickup trucks are everywhere, and the area is fairly flat and moderately dry with few tress in sight. In fact, a lot of the people living here were originally from places like Texas and Oklahoma.
Fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,734,906 times
The coast here is much more similar to the North East's rocky shorelines (like Maine) than Southern California. While there are a few places in Southern California that are rocky, there are also long stretches of sandy beach.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:23 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,675,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, I remember when I went out to California last year for the first time it was amazing.

For me though what I enjoyed was being in a large planned community with various mini housing developments scattered within this planned community. The community had access to a club house/meeting house and pools throughout the development.

The other plus was had a sidewalk that connected to bike path and trails. Trails went into the mountains and to the ocean.

Also everything was close such as grocery stores and other stores not very spread out.

Had good public transportation could of taken a train to L.A. or San Diego.

Curious if any State has areas within their State that shares similarities?
California is huge and has a diverse array of large metro areas. It would be useful if you told us where you were. Also, you can find planned communities in literally every state.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,858,432 times
No state I would say is anything like California, one of the reasons California is so popular to visit.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:33 PM

233 posts, read 170,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The coast here is much more similar to the North East's rocky shorelines (like Maine) than Southern California. While there are a few places in Southern California that are rocky, there are also long stretches of sandy beach.
Have you been to Southern California? Honest question. Even when there are sandy beaches, there are hills, cliffs or mountains looming nearby. I've been to the Maine coast and the Oregon coast - Oregon is much more dramatic, and that kind of dramatic scenery dropping into the ocean is more closely matched in Southern California than Maine. Maine has short, craggy hills that hit the ocean and it reminds more of the coastline along lake Superior than Oregon.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,899,791 times
Colorado

Old 03-14-2018, 06:05 PM

505 posts, read 497,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

I'm from Oregon and spent 20+ summer vacations on the Oregon Coast and I'm confused how one could say the Oregon Coast is all that different than the Southern California Coast (or the California Coast overall).

The Oregon Coast has plenty of stretches of sandy beach. Waldport, Lincoln City, Cannon Beach, Seaside, Newport...walked on those beaches in either direction for miles. There are also plenty of places driving along the 101 that - if it was overcast, foggy, and raining - I would easily mistake for the Oregon Coast.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 PM

233 posts, read 170,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post

I'm from Oregon and spent 20+ summer vacations on the Oregon Coast and I'm confused how one could say the Oregon Coast is all that different than the Southern California Coast (or the California Coast overall).

The Oregon Coast has plenty of stretches of sandy beach. Waldport, Lincoln City, Cannon Beach, Seaside, Newport...walked on those beaches in either direction for miles. There are also plenty of places driving along the 101 that - if it was overcast, foggy, and raining - I would easily mistake for the Oregon Coast.
The only way I can differentiate the Southern California coast from the Oregon coast is vegetation. The Oregon coast is a lot greener with pines while the Southern California coast is a lot drier with palms.

Still, when compared to Hawaii or the Gulf coast states/Florida - the Oregon coast is a much better fit.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
No, I'm sorry. Florida beaches are completely unlike those in Southern California. There are cliffs and canyons that go right up to the coast in Southern California - hell, they go down the spine of Baja, California. I'm not sure what you referring to.

This view (from San Diego) is much more similar to a view you'd find in Oregon than you'd find in Florida:
Geezus, I really want to live in California. Ha.

I was going to say North Carolina.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,439,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Geezus, I really want to live in California. Ha.

I was going to say North Carolina.
Speaking of North Carolina in a California coast discussion, the movie I know what you did last summer, which took place in Southport, NC; filmed all the beach scenes in Jenner, CA (in Sonoma County, north of the Bay Area); while the scenes in town were filmed in Southport on location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.