U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM

136 posts, read 87,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
In California, it has to do with the historical communities that have migrated from Asia. Asians have been going to California for so long, its just piled up so much over the generations.

In the modern world its more complex then that. Ethnicity's tend to zero in on cities and then chain migration ensues (where you have family members and friends move in for generations). Many of these cities are outside the West Coast or North East. Atlanta has become a big target for Koreans, Dallas for Indians, and Houston for Vietnamese (though the later is older than the former two).

People go where they have family, friends, and/or jobs.
There are actually more Indians in Atlanta than Koreans.

Also it's because they don't mind the cost of living in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 02:53 PM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Maybe its just reading people complain about California on the internet, but given how unfriendly California is to middle class people, it by far has the largest growing Asian American population across all groups in the United States.

https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/...c2010br-11.pdf

Given the tax burdens, cost of living, and relatively high median incomes of Asian Americans in general, why would they prefer California over say, Texas, Florida, or even Washington State that has no state income tax and is also on the West Coast?

Even more conservative Asian American groups like the Vietnamese are growing in raw numbers faster in California than in Texas, which I found to be surprising.

http://www.vasummit2011.org/docs/res...y%202.2011.pdf
I would say it's mostly the whack job Libertarian types doing most of the complaining about taxes. California's middle class is doing just fine outside the major urban areas like SF, LA and San Diego much like other major urban areas in the US, and making broad sweeping generalizations about the entire state demonstrates either unfamiliarity with the reality or serves to push an agenda...or perhaps a bit of both.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:04 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Isn't the Vietnamese community in Houston as old as the ones in California? I'm surprised that the community in Houston is smaller than both the LA (mostly in Orange County) and Bay Area (mostly San Jose) given the huge political differences (Vietnamese trend toward voting Republican) and similar age of the communities and just the general trend of people moving from California to Texas.

It's most likely a historical thing and just the relative proximity that will answer this question though.
Proximity is overplayed. LA is also the home to the largest Armenian and Persian communities in the US and it certainly isnt proximity. By that same token NYC is home to the largest Chinese community in the US.

As for the Vietnamese communities, initially more refugees were settled in California than Texas. Camp Pendelton had something to do with it I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
There are actually more Indians in Atlanta than Koreans.

Also it's because they don't mind the cost of living in California.
Yes but there are way more Indians in Atlanta, but there are way more Indians in America. Atlanta has a higher percentage of the nations Koreans than it does Indians. Its the 5th largest Korean community in the US (ahead of San Francisco and Chicago) but its the 10th largest Indian community.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:31 PM

1,518 posts, read 702,434 times
It's just random migration of ethnicites to certain places, which then solidifies once there's a community there that can continue to expand. It's like asking why there are so many Scandinavians in the Upper Midwest or Basques in Nevada or Armenians in the LA area or Albanians in the Bronx.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Proximity is overplayed. LA is also the home to the largest Armenian and Persian communities in the US and it certainly isnt proximity. By that same token NYC is home to the largest Chinese community in the US.

As for the Vietnamese communities, initially more refugees were settled in California than Texas. Camp Pendelton had something to do with it I believe.

Yes but there are way more Indians in Atlanta, but there are way more Indians in America. Atlanta has a higher percentage of the nations Koreans than it does Indians. Its the 5th largest Korean community in the US (ahead of San Francisco and Chicago) but its the 10th largest Indian community.
Indian Americans are the biggest Asian community in the South, above China. Which always surprises me.
'
Also can you help me figure out which one of the two communities have more Japanese people? Portland or Sacrament. Metro areas.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:15 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
Indian Americans are the biggest Asian community in the South, above China. Which always surprises me.
'
Also can you help me figure out which one of the two communities have more Japanese people? Portland or Sacrament. Metro areas.
Thats true but my point was that relative to the national population, Atlanta's Korean population stands out more.

Sacramento has a much larger Asian community than Portland, but their Japanese communities are similarly sized. That said, I would choose Sacramento because a lot of Asian amenities cross over (for example, in a Korean market you see a lot of Japanese stuff or in a Vietnamese market you see a lot of Thai products, etc.). The proximity to the Bay Area is also a plus.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thats true but my point was that relative to the national population, Atlanta's Korean population stands out more.

Sacramento has a much larger Asian community than Portland, but their Japanese communities are similarly sized. That said, I would choose Sacramento because a lot of Asian amenities cross over (for example, in a Korean market you see a lot of Japanese stuff or in a Vietnamese market you see a lot of Thai products, etc.). The proximity to the Bay Area is also a plus.
Yeah it's almost like the disproportionate amount of Koreans and Vietnamese in LA/OC area vs the Indians. I heard Florida was like 5% Asian and like 70% of the Asians there were Indian.

I heard Portland had 10000 Japanese vs 14000 Japanese in Sacramento. 4000 is a big difference for me I think.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
That's a silly question, there is a large amount of Asians in California already. And Caifornia has a lot of positive aspects besides cost of living.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:00 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Asian Americans tend to be wealthy.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:35 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Asian Americans aren't exempt from the great migration from California to other states, especially Texas. In major Asian shopping centers in DFW, particularly ones where 99 ranch is the flagship store, I'll spot at least several California plates in the parking lot every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or