U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:35 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,506,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The oldest Catholic church in Georgia gets a holy overhaul - Atlanta Magazine

Oldest Catholic Church in Georgia was established in 1790.
Very interesting, Kathryn! I've never heard of this one, and now I'm curious why the Archdiocese's history didn't include it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 10:36 AM

990 posts, read 498,927 times
I lived in the Bible Belt and was told frequently that I wasn’t really Christian and I was going to hell. I’d say it’s still pretty common. It didn’t bother me though. I don’t think it’s at all “South” thing though. I think a percentage of evangelicals are like this, not dependent on where they live. There are just more of them in the Bible Belt so you will notice it more.

I was in a metro area of about 500K. So, not a small town, but not a big city either.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:44 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,506,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I lived in the Bible Belt and was told frequently that I wasnít really Christian and I was going to hell. Iíd say itís still pretty common. It didnít bother me though. I donít think itís at all ďSouthĒ thing though. I think a percentage of evangelicals are like this, not dependent on where they live. There are just more of them in the Bible Belt so you will notice it more.

I was in a metro area of about 500K. So, not a small town, but not a big city either.
Where was this STL74, if you don't mind saying?

Old 03-10-2018, 09:20 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,442,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I grew up in the south in the 60s. One of my friends was Catholic. One small Catholic church in town. She was not permitted to even visit my Baptist church. Perhaps the "scorn" went both ways?
I think in some cases it might but it just didn't seem as prevalent for Catholics to have scorn for Protestants. I grew up Baptist in a predominantly Catholic community in south Louisiana in the 60's and 70's....as kids, we didn't care which religion our friends were or their religious preference when we dated (I married a devout Catholic).

Old 03-11-2018, 05:44 AM

6,515 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Episcopal and Unitarian churches with "extremist liberal doctrine"??

The "secular world has become to much of an adversary and a threat"?

What complete, utter nonsense.
ďutter nonsenseĒ, oh please.... those two denominations are famous for liberal doctrine and political stances. Also if you donít believe the secular world is an adversary to Christianity then your living in some kind of fantasy land. No doubt both of our views are colored by the facts that I am conservative and you are a liberal but letís make at least some attempt to live in reality.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:17 AM
sub

783 posts, read 407,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Liberal elitism...gotta love it. Episcopal and especially Unitarian churches are known for extremist liberal doctrine, hardly considered Churches. And No, Catholics are not widely looked down on here. Only the most extreme evangelicals would express views that are publicaly anti-Catholic. The secular world has become too much of an adversary and a threat for us Christians to continue bickering among ourselves, most of us realize that.
Agreed. The anti-catholic sentiment isn't as prevalent these days.
Also, I think few people who follow these things would categorize the Catholic church with Unitarians or liberal Anglicans. While they all hold education in high regard, that's where the similarities end. Any Catholics that are somewhat devout and go beyond just being cultural Catholics would tend to not be so far off the deep end.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:18 PM

990 posts, read 498,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Where was this STL74, if you don't mind saying?
Springfield MO...so not even truly the south And they had their fake little way of saying "Oh, but you need to be a real Christian to be saved. I'm just worried about your soul". They just wanted to "save" me. But I'm A-OK, thanks.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:35 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,612,991 times
The anti-catholic crowd is in the “elite” blue cities now.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,486,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
Gross stereotypes of Southerners is a form of bigotry no different than bigotry against races, religions, or sexual orientations.
Sorry if I came off as offensive I love the south. But this is stuff I have heard.

My college professor up north says there are still places in the south where the Catholic, the Jew, and the blacks are living side by side and as outcasts.

But as I have learned, there is probably more racism in the northeast than in the south. Here itís just more covert.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,612,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Sorry if I came off as offensive I love the south. But this is stuff I have heard.

My college professor up north says there are still places in the south where the Catholic, the Jew, and the blacks are living side by side and as outcasts.

But as I have learned, there is probably more racism in the northeast than in the south. Here itís just more covert.
Yep a friend of mine moved to South Carolina... said people would say they would pray for him because heís catholic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or