U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,351,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe it's a Marian segment of the Catholic faith or something like that - outside the Roman Catholic archdiocese of the area.
I'm uncertain what that is even supposed to mean? What the heck is a Marian segment?

I think that while Anti-Catholicism is alive and well, lots of people aren't even necessarily prejudiced, they just don't know what Catholics actually believe, and the Catholics they ask are either bad at explaining or don't practice so they don't really even know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 AM

30,011 posts, read 27,582,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm uncertain what that is even supposed to mean? What the heck is a Marian segment?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol...urch_buildings

Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
We live in a country where there are roughly 315,000 Christian churches in America, the majority of Americans are Christians, the majority of our law makers are Christian, etc. Only 20% of us are "nones".

You guys are doing just fine. Youre just trying to get used to going from the super, ultra, almighty majority to just the majority.
Yeah, that is true, but while most people say they are Christian it is more of a cultural thing, self identifying as a "Good Person" more than anything else.

Theologically I think most Americans are either a vague sort of Theist or a None.

We might have some of the highest Church going rates in the western world most Americans aren't actually religious when it comes to push and shove.

My roommate is like that. He doesn't go to church or believe any particular doctrine. He believes in some vague idea of Karma and said "Its nice to believe in an after life" I asked if that was all he had and told him, if that's all I had, I would quit going to mass and sleep in on Sunday, plenty of non religious people are nice people and get their socialization elsewhere, I practice because I actually believe it. "I don't go to church, but it doesn't hurt to believe in case there is an afterlife" -his final position on the matter.

Its basically a weak form of Pascal's Wager.

Most law makers are such snakes in the grass I doubt most of them worship anything besides the almighty dollar, but be that as it may.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They used the term "Marian Segment" as if it is an offshoot religion or sect of Catholicism.

Marian devotion is part of mainline Catholic teaching. There are tons of Churches named after Our Lady.

You could have a church that was not mannaged by the Diocese if it was part of a religious order or Personal Prelature, perhaps thats what they meant?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 PM

45,351 posts, read 36,524,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

I think that while Anti-Catholicism is alive and well, lots of people aren't even necessarily prejudiced, they just don't know what Catholics actually believe, and the Catholics they ask are either bad at explaining or don't practice so they don't really even know.
Sorry, I meant Maronite. Not Marian.

Quote:
In addition to the Latin, or Roman, tradition, there are seven non-Latin, non-Roman ecclesial traditions: Armenian, Byzantine, Coptic, Ethiopian, East Syriac (Chaldean), West Syriac, and Maronite.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicity

Old 03-14-2018, 10:02 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,823,831 times
But probably with higher regard than Atheists.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 AM

1,023 posts, read 653,100 times
Well, I grew up in Rhode Island, the only state in the entire country that has a Roman Catholic majority, and attended Roman Catholic schools for 13 years, and I was frequently reminded by relatives and educators that I was going to Hell because I attended Protestant worship services and, eventually, converted to a Mainline Protestant denomination.

It goes both ways, dear.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:51 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,434,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The anti-catholic crowd is in the “elite” blue cities now.
Huh-how so?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,299,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Huh-how so?
Atheists.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:43 AM

6,002 posts, read 2,791,313 times
Default US Census map of largest participating religious groups

Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/image...37.15%20pm.png

Florida is the most Catholic state in the southern US (unless some of you want to include Texas)

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol...icism_by_state

Never found any sort of discrimination or hostility towards Catholics here in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or