U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 AM

3,294 posts, read 1,647,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/image...37.15%20pm.png

Florida is the most Catholic state in the southern US (unless some of you want to include Texas)

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol...icism_by_state

Never found any sort of discrimination or hostility towards Catholics here in Florida.
The map could be a little misleading (depending on how you read it) because the huge number of "Protestant" denominations take away from one another, so Catholics are the single largest denomination in much of the northeast and much of the Midwest/West. However, map of Protestant combined and Catholic would show much less predominant Catholic areas.

On to the original question, I am Catholic and have met Catholics from the South, and none have mentioned they are looked down or discriminated against. I'm guessing they may have occasional people that don't understand exactly what Catholics believe, but I'm guessing they blend in well and aren't looked down on. There are large pockets of European (Irish, Italian, Polish, Ukrainian, etc), Hispanic/Latino, African, Indian, Filipino, etc pockets of Roman Catholics and Byzantine Catholics (Greeks/Middle Eastern) all over the US where Catholicism is mixed into culture. If there are pockets of those groups down south, they may standout a little more, but I doubt there is overt discrimination.

I was in Charlotte area last summer and was in Ft. Worth last spring. Went to some beautiful Catholic Churches, and those parishes seemed happy and vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM

5,884 posts, read 6,317,985 times
Years ago in my area which was not in the south people looked at catholics like they had two heads, the overwhelming majority were part of a old time gospel hellfire and brimstone church that did tent revivals.

In this day and age no one cares what church you don’t go to anymore.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:41 PM

1,011 posts, read 639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/image...37.15%20pm.png

Florida is the most Catholic state in the southern US (unless some of you want to include Texas)

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol...icism_by_state

Never found any sort of discrimination or hostility towards Catholics here in Florida.
Outside of the Northeast, most non-Hispanic whites are Protestant. In my experience, the only other area of the country where non-Hispanic whites seemed mostly Catholic was Chicago. But even then, the Lutheran Church has a much stronger presence in Chicago than any Protestant denomination in the Northeast.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:23 PM

920 posts, read 1,015,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Outside of the Northeast, most non-Hispanic whites are Protestant. In my experience, the only other area of the country where non-Hispanic whites seemed mostly Catholic was Chicago. But even then, the Lutheran Church has a much stronger presence in Chicago than any Protestant denomination in the Northeast.
The majority of non-Hispanic whites in southern Louisiana are Catholic and the vast marjority of non-Hispanic whites in northern Louisiana are Protestant.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 PM

2,806 posts, read 1,297,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry, I meant Maronite. Not Marian.
Oh yeah, that is a possibility, different rites have their own dioceses or as they call them "Eparchy" we have Byzantine church down the street from where I live and one of my best friends is Byzantine Catholic.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 PM

2,034 posts, read 4,554,066 times
My portion of Louisiana is like 80% catholic.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 PM

80 posts, read 73,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
My portion of Louisiana is like 80% catholic.
I've been small towns in Louisiana that were VERY southern and majority catholic. Many people also had French last names. Great towns with wonderful people.

To answer your question OP, no, there is very little bigotry in most of the South including rural areas towards Catholics. Now my experience has been limited with South Carolina, Texas and Louisiana, but I doubt most of their neighboring states are much different. There is very little prejudice towards Catholics in general in the USA nowadays. The only time I hear people expressing any type of bigotry towards Catholics is usually when they are criticizing the Catholics churches mishandling of child sex abuse.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 AM

213 posts, read 207,838 times
I grew up in a very small, rural town in Arkansas. My experience is that people did not show "scorn" for Catholics. They simply did not know anything about Catholicism. My town and most nearby towns only had one church. Families either didn't attend church or they were Southern Baptist because that's what was prominent. For example I had to explain to my Great Grandfather what Lent is.

Later as the area grew and more denominations came and built churches and I did hear comments like "He/She goes to that church full of weirdos." I chalk it up to ignorance. It was easier for some people very set in their ways to dismiss something different as being weird than accept change or learn. I don't think it was specific to Catholics though.

Hopefully, there are not many place with that mindset left in the South now.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:57 AM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
When I lived in West Virginia, my Baptist church preached that its the Catholic Church that will give rise to the Antichrist in the End Times and that the city on 7 hills is a reference to Rome. (though San Francisco is also on 7 hills and is more known for its sin than Rome is today). Theologically I do believe Rome will be the seat of the Antichrist because when the Bible was written Rome is the only city on 7 hills and its close to Babylon. In WV where there were few Catholics, people would openly say that Catholics are not Christian, though many in my church also don't consider the United Methodist Church, Presbyterians or Episcopalians to be truly Christian either because of their liberalism.

Now back in South Louisiana because there is a large Catholic popualtion, my Baptist church here hasn't openly preached about this, maybe in fears of offending people who have Catholic family members or close friends who are Catholic. However my church does still sponsor missionaries in mostly Catholic nations like Mexico, Brazil, the Philippines and Costa Rica.

The Catholic church HAS declined in South Louisiana. I have quite a few friends who were raised Catholic because of their Cajun, Creole, Irish, or Italian family background but now go to evangelical non-denominational churches or to Baptist and Pentacostal churches. A major reason is the leftward shift of the worldwide church especially with this pope. Several people have pointed out the pope's tolerance of abortion and gay marriage, his lack of support for Israel, and his support for illegal immigration as things that have turned them away from the Catholic church.

In terms of social issues, Louisiana Catholics are much more similar to Southern Baptists than to Boston Catholics. Catholics here stand together with Baptists and Pentacostals in protesting abortion clinics and advocating for traditional marriage. We are far more concerned with the spread of Islam and atheism and secularism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or