Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 06:11 AM

27,186 posts, read 43,876,617 times

Advertisements

I would wager more the other way around as other denominations (and non-denominational congregations) in the South typically aren't known for their Mensa-like qualities, versus those who attend Episcopal, Catholic or Unitarian churches for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 06:28 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Of course you will have your stubborn fundamentalist bible thumpers in those micropolitan and farm communities, but if anything, the South seems to be increasingly Catholic compared to the rest of the country. Many "Catholics" only attend worship on Christmas and/or Easter, and perhaps again for a wedding, funeral, or baptism. If anything, they look down much more on non-Christians, outside the large cities of course. Catholics probably get most looked down in communities with atheist strongholds like parts of the West Coast and LGBT communities, which once again are mostly outside the south.
Yeah the sad truth is many "Catholics" don't really attend Mass or believe much of anything. They certainly Squew the numbers and make the North East and California look more Catholic on paper than they are in real life.

Not that I'm a perfect example of a Catholic or anything close, but there is a difference between "Practicing" and not being active at all.

I think there is still a decent amount of Anti-Catholicism in the south among certain protestant groups, I've personally encountered it a few times living down here, but I think there is less of it, even in the last 20 years or so. I think the changing demographics has something to do that.

Texas specifically has had Catholics here longer than anyone else though it varies from different parts of the state. Louisiana has long had a large Catholic population.

More often now I think the majority of the Anti Catholicism is coming from the more far left areas of the country. I think alot of that is just dislike of religion in general and the Catholic church is the biggest easiest target. I also think alot of these people grew up "Culturally" Catholic so they feel that mocking or misrepresenting the position of the church is ok because they "Get it" or they are an "insider" because they went to Catholic grade school or something.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 03-08-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 08:25 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Wife grew up in the South Catholic and there was some anti Catholic bias and it's probably still there amongst 5-10% of the population in the South especially in rural areas with strong evangelical populations. Not an issue in Southern cities or in Catholic areas of Louisiana, Texas, & Florida.
I grew up in the south in the 60s. One of my friends was Catholic. One small Catholic church in town. She was not permitted to even visit my Baptist church. Perhaps the "scorn" went both ways?

Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I grew up in the south in the 60s. One of my friends was Catholic. One small Catholic church in town. She was not permitted to even visit my Baptist church. Perhaps the "scorn" went both ways?
I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to scorn though; it could have strictly been a doctrinal issue.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 AM

11,071 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Don't see it. Maybe in some hyper-extreme areas. If anything, there tends to be more dislike for the non-religious, non-spiritual.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:18 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,442 times
As if everybody in The South is religious and cares which one you belong to or doesn't.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
Quote:
Catholics are highly discouraged from attending other churches unless it is for a special occasion such as a wedding and are not allowed to go to communion at any church that isn't Catholic or Orthodox.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
My catholic friends were never allowed to attend my Baptist church either, I never had issues going to midnight mass with them though.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:36 PM

233 posts, read 172,349 times
Gross stereotypes of Southerners is a form of bigotry no different than bigotry against races, religions, or sexual orientations.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:43 AM

88 posts, read 50,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Hispanic population in the South is growing and many of them are Catholic.

And of course Louisiana has been famously Catholic since the start, what with parishes instead of counties.
Historically in southern Louisiana and the Creoles were the first catholic settlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.