Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:00 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
Gross stereotypes of Southerners is a form of bigotry no different than bigotry against races, religions, or sexual orientations.
Exactly !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to scorn though; it could have strictly been a doctrinal issue.
So instead of actually replying to my post, someone decided to rep me with the comment, "Lol. 'Doctrinal issue' as a euphemism for scorn/intolerance. Was wrong."

I disagree that doctrinal issues are euphemisms for scorn/intolerance. I grew up in a conservative Pentecostal church and we were discouraged from visiting certain other conservative Pentecostal churches that differed on certain theological points; there was no "scorn" or "intolerance" involved. The same is true for other types of churches within the same denominational family.

Now, if you have something to add or disagree outright, say so here so we can dialogue and don't hide behind the rep button. It's not that serious.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Like a lot of the issues in the South, I would presume that there's a big urban/rural divide on the issue of "Catholic hating". This wouldn't be uniform of course since there are pockets in the rural Deep South, like in Louisiana, with longer standing Catholic traditions.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:27 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So instead of actually replying to my post, someone decided to rep me with the comment, "Lol. 'Doctrinal issue' as a euphemism for scorn/intolerance. Was wrong."

I disagree that doctrinal issues are euphemisms for scorn/intolerance. I grew up in a conservative Pentecostal church and we were discouraged from visiting certain other conservative Pentecostal churches that differed on certain theological points; there was no "scorn" or "intolerance" involved. The same is true for other types of churches within the same denominational family.

Now, if you have something to add or disagree outright, say so here so we can dialogue and don't hide behind the rep button. It's not that serious.
Thank you.

Although this may not hit home for some folks, the theological differences are real. To put this as objectively as possible, Catholics view Protestants as heretics (I know everyone hates that word) who are mostly correct, but have deviated on major and important points. Protestants view Catholics the same way, right about alot of stuff, but as having added to it over time and corrupted it. That does't mean everyone can and shouldn't get along as neighbors, but it means that many sermons/ homilies will conflict on beliefs.

Churches historically (and the Catholic and some Protestant churches still do) have ridged doctrine ie "This is what we believe" Going to a church where your religion might agree 80% with the sermon on doctrine is correct and 20% is of makes it more work than it is worth.

Finally, Catholics are discouraged from doing regularly attending protestant service even if they also attend Mass simply because it presents a front of false equivalency to outsiders. Catholics view the Mass as the source and summit and the Eucharist as a sacrament which is a fundamental difference.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would wager more the other way around as other denominations (and non-denominational congregations) in the South typically aren't known for their Mensa-like qualities, versus those who attend Episcopal, Catholic or Unitarian churches for example.
What regions of the country is known for its mensa like qualities?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Like a lot of the issues in the South, I would presume that there's a big urban/rural divide on the issue of "Catholic hating". This wouldn't be uniform of course since there are pockets in the rural Deep South, like in Louisiana, with longer standing Catholic traditions.
My small south Alabama town has had a Catholic Church on Main St for all of the 38 years I’ve been alive. I don’t recall ever hearing any negative comments about the people who worship there.

From what I see, church attendance overall is declining among younger people, they may still say they’re “Christian” because they think it’s the right thing to do, but most are not religious at all.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:02 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I grew up in the south in the 60s. One of my friends was Catholic. One small Catholic church in town. She was not permitted to even visit my Baptist church. Perhaps the "scorn" went both ways?

Why would the church even care if your Catholic friend visited a Baptist church? My guess is it comes down to money. Her church would worry your friend would switch permanently to the Baptist church and they would lose her 10% donation of her income each week.

What kind of punishment would your Catholic friend have faced if she had visited your Baptist church? How would her Catholic church have even known she had visited your church, unless she told it?

That's the trouble with religions. They try to control their "flock" with some of the most ridiculous rules ever created for their "flock" to "obey".

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-09-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Unless you live in some extremely rural area of the deep south, I highly doubt anyone will care about your background/beliefs.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:02 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Q. Are Catholics still seen with scorn in the South?
A: No

Q: Is the South still seen with scorn by ignorant people in other parts of the country?
A. Yes

Amen to that! And they don't mind coming here and showing their ignorance.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
In Texas, the major cities are all majority Catholic and they make largest amount of any denomination state wide. Ill go with no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.