U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 990 times

Advertisements

I've tried searching the forum for this, as I'm sure it's been asked, but didn't see anything. I'm looking for a place on the water, where rent and utilities can be had for about $1300, but that is socially progressive (green spaces, LGBT loving, vegan friendly, walkable/bike trails, focus on wellness, etc). Most people here seem to be looking for this but with warm weather, whereas I prefer cold weather.

I know anyplace in the NE is a good fit, but I'm not sure about rent and utilities. Averages online are not accurate, I have found. I honestly don't care how small the apartment is, I actually prefer tiny. Any mid sized or larger progressive place I'll have no trouble finding work, but income will be about $45,000-$60,000 a year depending on the place. I've been to places like Seattle and loved it, but don't think I can afford it.

Since I know you can't have everything in life, here are my three priorities in order of importance:
1. Socially progressive
2. Water (large lakes or ocean accessible DAILY)
3. Rent/utilities about $1300 a month

Any ideas for cities on the water that fit this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 AM

4,292 posts, read 2,540,603 times
Come to Milwaukee!!

Or Chicago is Milwaukee if too small.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:12 PM

4,275 posts, read 6,365,356 times
Check out Providence Rhode Island and its neighbors. Many apartments there are near the waterfront (within walking distance) and within your budget. Providence is no Berkeley or Cambridge, but it's solidly Democratic and left-leaning, ethnically diverse, and culturally tolerant, especially being home to an Ivy League university (Brown). It also has a good smattering of arts activities, from professional to amateur, and of course it's an easy drive to NYC or Boston for more.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:38 PM

56,780 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, as well as Detroit and Syracuse.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:46 PM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
I second Providence which is weirdly overlooked when searching for the type of progressive and reasonably priced place to live the OP is looking for.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 990 times
Providence has come up in things I have read, but I wasn't sure about the affordability, so this is great to know. I'm an amateur artist, and the idea of living someplace with a good arts scene, where I can make friends, is exciting. I also love the idea of being able to take trips to other places nearby; I'm currently in the Midwest, and no matter what direction you go, everything is the same for hours and hours.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:03 PM

56,780 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, as well as Detroit and Syracuse.
If you are open to any of these cities, neighborhoods like Rochester’s NOTA(Neighborhood of the Arts), Buffalo’s Allentown, Detroit’s West Village and Syracuse’s Westcott are some neighborhoods that could work for you due to their artsy vibe.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 AM

6,527 posts, read 7,485,723 times
Milwaukee and Detroit are cities that vote democrat, heavily union and blue collar. However they are not socially “progressive” in the way the northeast or West Coast is. These two cities are I. Wisconsin and Michigan, two states that voted for Trump and have republican state governments. Socially those two states are right of center. A true uber left democrat will possibly be not happy in a Midwest they find too conservative.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:08 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,079,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fields332 View Post
I've tried searching the forum for this, as I'm sure it's been asked, but didn't see anything. I'm looking for a place on the water, where rent and utilities can be had for about $1300, but that is socially progressive (green spaces, LGBT loving, vegan friendly, walkable/bike trails, focus on wellness, etc). Most people here seem to be looking for this but with warm weather, whereas I prefer cold weather.

I know anyplace in the NE is a good fit, but I'm not sure about rent and utilities. Averages online are not accurate, I have found. I honestly don't care how small the apartment is, I actually prefer tiny. Any mid sized or larger progressive place I'll have no trouble finding work, but income will be about $45,000-$60,000 a year depending on the place. I've been to places like Seattle and loved it, but don't think I can afford it.

Since I know you can't have everything in life, here are my three priorities in order of importance:
1. Socially progressive
2. Water (large lakes or ocean accessible DAILY)
3. Rent/utilities about $1300 a month

Any ideas for cities on the water that fit this?
Why not look anywhere else on the Puget Sound/Salish Sea other than Seattle? Bellingham or Olympia would work, though there are cities and towns of varying size all over the region.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,477,485 times
Madison, WI sits on an isthmus between two lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or