U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:00 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,626,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Rallys Checkers seem to be southern centric but definitely offer a unique flavor but my perception is they are very non healthy. Skippers in the nw is a skeleton of what it once was. Today if you can even find one, is overpriced and average imo.

I will say Texas does offer a good variety of fast food that you can't find everywhere. In-n-Out has definitely laid a claim in Texas, (mostly larger metros), and the hometown brand, "Whataburger" is everywhere. I'm sure both are great, but as I have aged, I don't care for either anymore. They are definitely "younger" demo type places.

Texas also offers Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr, and other brands that are somewhat regional.
There are a ton of Checker's here in New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM

2,880 posts, read 1,329,819 times
I think Dallas might have the most? It has a ton of domestic migration.

In DFW you can get Shake Shack, Culvers,In-N-Out, and Whataburger which are all somewhat regional to the East Coast, Upper Midwest, and West Coast, and Texas respectively.

Plus you have all the national chains: Smash burger, 5 Guys plus Waffle House which is somewhat regional (didn't have em back home in Idaho)

DFW doesn't have ALL the chains: It's missing Tim Hortons and from the Mountain West it's missing Arctic Circle, but it has to be the only place or among a select few places the "Big 4 regional cult classics" (Shake Shack, Culvers, In-N-Out, Whataburger) are all available.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 AM

18,661 posts, read 27,123,201 times
Never saw Houston as a big chain city like that. Sure it's there. But they have many local places as well. But to me it does seem that Texas favors western fast food modeled chains than eastern. Instead of Hardees, you get Carl's Jr. I know they are both the same but it's interesting how in Louisiana, it's Hardees but in Texas, it's Carl's Jr.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:46 PM

22,345 posts, read 32,231,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seems like nobody is jumping in to claim that one!

I love my city for not having chains as much as some places. It has a flipside of course...sometimes you have to walk a ways to find a pizza slice or a takeout hamburger or whatever. Even with coffee, in the home of Starbucks, there seem to be more independents by a wide margin.
ha you and I had the same initial thought

Old 03-13-2018, 08:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 4,355,761 times
You can also find some Zaxby's locations in Texas which tends to be more of a Southeastern chain.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:42 AM

2,880 posts, read 1,329,819 times
I'm fine taking the title, having a wide variety of chains doesn't take away from the great culinary scene we have here. Fast food loints are everywhere, so having a diversity of them is a positive in my book, even if I don't eat at them all that often. Its a product of our central location and mass of domestic migration, I like the option of shake shake or whataburger.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 PM

5,629 posts, read 3,737,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
ha you and I had the same initial thought
But chains do well for one simple reason. You know what you are getting. Let's face it, consistency is important in the fast food industry. McDonalds may have critics, but their business model is rock solid, and it is based on a consistent product that consumers can depend on. They have upped their profits from Uber Eats, as well.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,803,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There are a ton of Checker's here in New York
Yeah, I grew up on that stuff in metro Detroit.. and found it again in Los Angeles. I miss Checkers ever since moving to Texas but I hear they might have it in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm fine taking the title, having a wide variety of chains doesn't take away from the great culinary scene we have here. Fast food loints are everywhere, so having a diversity of them is a positive in my book, even if I don't eat at them all that often. Its a product of our central location and mass of domestic migration, I like the option of shake shake or whataburger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
But chains do well for one simple reason. You know what you are getting. Let's face it, consistency is important in the fast food industry. McDonalds may have critics, but their business model is rock solid, and it is based on a consistent product that consumers can depend on. They have upped their profits from Uber Eats, as well.
I don't like coming to a smallish community and finding out the only selection of food this is a few chains. But I'm indifferent between an area with all local and little/no chains vs an area with a large variety of chains but relatively few local restaurants.. I just don't want to be stuck with the same old choices like McDonalds, Subway, Wendys, etc.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:59 PM

6,654 posts, read 3,707,485 times
Is Texas the State That Has the Greatest Variety of Fast-Food Chains?

Yuk... A dubious distinction if there ever was one.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:14 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,263,812 times
I don't think it is a dubious distinction. I'm perfectly healthy physically despite eating fast food a few times a month and, while I am perfectly happy with Whataburger and Mooyah's, many others aren't and I think it is great that those people have a choice and aren't just stuck with the same old McDonald's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, and Burger King. It isn't a reflection in any way on the quality of other food, unless you're going to start arguing that Texas has the worst food in the nation, but its going to convince me of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or