U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 PM

18,643 posts, read 27,078,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
No wonder so many people in Texas are so fat
Yeah itís an embarrassing thread honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 09:51 PM

2,814 posts, read 1,309,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I actually always had an interest in local/ regional chains, be that fast food, gas stations, or super markets.

I think alot of people don't think about their local grocery store or burger place not existing in other parts of the country. I bet you have never heard of Arctic Circle unless you have lived in the mountain west, or Whataburger unless you have lived in Texas and the neighboring states,(or know lots of Texans) I certainly never had before I moved here.

In Europe there is a chain called "Old Wild West Steakhouse" I don't think there are any US locations, and I never bothered to eat there, but I remember one time talking to an Italian dude and he figured it was a popular chain in the US like Burger King or McDonalds which it is not.

It is interesting that Dallas seems to have the widest variety and if you can get over the virtue signaling of "Eww, fast food" It's pretty interesting. I say this as a guy who doesn't eat fast food that frequently, and I don't really enjoy or drink soda; I usually pack my own lunch. I think it is interesting, and I don't think it takes away from the local food scene which is incredibly strong.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:13 PM

5,562 posts, read 3,709,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I actually always had an interest in local/ regional chains, be that fast food, gas stations, or super markets.

I think alot of people don't think about their local grocery store or burger place not existing in other parts of the country. I bet you have never heard of Arctic Circle unless you have lived in the mountain west, or Whataburger unless you have lived in Texas and the neighboring states,(or know lots of Texans) I certainly never had before I moved here.

In Europe there is a chain called "Old Wild West Steakhouse" I don't think there are any US locations, and I never bothered to eat there, but I remember one time talking to an Italian dude and he figured it was a popular chain in the US like Burger King or McDonalds which it is not.

It is interesting that Dallas seems to have the widest variety and if you can get over the virtue signaling of "Eww, fast food" It's pretty interesting. I say this as a guy who doesn't eat fast food that frequently, and I don't really enjoy or drink soda; I usually pack my own lunch. I think it is interesting, and I don't think it takes away from the local food scene which is incredibly strong.
As for your "arctic circle" reference, I lived in Idaho where they were abundant. Not bad overall, a legitimate regional chain with decent food. I think they had more locations 25-35 years ago than today, but they still exist in Utah, Idaho, and a couple of locations in Oregon.

True as having an interest but not being a big consumer. I am in the same boat. I grew up with fast food, and today I'm much pickier about what I choose, though I find the industry quite interesting. As the years go by, I see that McDonalds actually does it best, even though the quality of food is rarely near the top. Consistency is what drives their business model.

I can't eat this stuff much these days, and when I do, I go for the lower calorie options, or atleast order a smaller sandwich, usually something like a McChicken or a small cheeseburger and try to avoid the fries. I tend to order a small soft drink, but usually only drink about half of it just for, lack of a better term, "swallowing convenience". I suppose water would do the same!, but I digress.

Was once a big fan of In 'n Out, Carls Jr, even Burger King, but I find the their portion sizes are generally too big for me, except for maybe the kids menu! And BK does people like me no favors for offering their "two-fer" deals, let's face it fast food items generally don't make good leftovers. I do miss certain items, like the old BK Broiler, (grilled chicken), and Arby's toasted subs. But if they don't sell, they are G-O-N-E.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-18-2018 at 11:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,284,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
No wonder so many people in Texas are so fat
Quote:
Not really, as it's just about variety. The relative percentage of fast food joints in TX can be the same as many other states, just that Texas would feature greater variation in what chains are present (due to central location).

Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,164,899 times
Quote:
Yeah it’s an embarrassing thread honestly.
I'm not embarrassed. I like some fast food but it's not the only thing I eat. I'm in perfect shape because lifestyle makes all the difference.

A lot of these hole in the wall establishments use some of the same ingredients you'll find being used at McD's. And no the food doesn't always taste better.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM

506 posts, read 339,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah I was missing a coma; Timmys is Canadian.

Arctic Circle is a chain the the Mountain West. Utah, and Idaho mostly though they also have 1-2 locations in OR, WA, and WY respectively.
I believe there's an Arctic Circle in Prineville, OR - just east of my hometown of Redmond

I have a friend in Austin that swears by Whataburger, so we have a fun back and forth between Whataburger and In n Out.

I think Farmer Boys and Specialty's are my favorite chains, but maybe they're specific to California?

Old 03-20-2018, 03:24 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I believe there's an Arctic Circle in Prineville, OR - just east of my hometown of Redmond

I have a friend in Austin that swears by Whataburger, so we have a fun back and forth between Whataburger and In n Out.

I think Farmer Boys and Specialty's are my favorite chains, but maybe they're specific to California?
Bite for bite, I'll give the edge to In n Out. Whataburger has more options and better portions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or