Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:03 PM

102 posts, read 472,520 times

Advertisements

What i mean is you know how they have diffrent names for each group of states such as califonia and a couple other states make the west coast or illinois and other states make the mid-west, well can someone make me a list so I can understand?

Example:

Mid-west:

Illinois
other states on the bottom

The West:

California
other states on bottom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Too Hot = Below the Mason-Dixon line
Too Cold = Above the Mason-Dixon line
Too Rude = East of the Mississippi River (sometimes West as well)
Too Liberal = West of the Mississippi (some pockets East as well)

Sorry, I couldn't resist .

There is a couple of links in one of the other threads about the Midwest that have nice lists, but they are all different depending on what point the map makers was trying to prove.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
For the midwest, I like the Great Lakes and the Great Plains. To me, it makes more sense.
For the northeast, I like New England and the Mid-Atlantic.
For the south, I like the southeast and southcentral.
Then you have the west and the Pacific States.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
Look this up on Wikipedia. You'll want to hit: New England, The South, The Southwest, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Plains states, 4 Corner states, Northwest, Pacific. I'm sure I'm missing something, but you'll probably come across it. I just pulled up Southern United States and there are a lot of subcategories.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Bible belt- southeast

Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
For the midwest, I like the Great Lakes and the Great Plains. To me, it makes more sense.
For the northeast, I like New England and the Mid-Atlantic.
For the south, I like the southeast and southcentral.
Then you have the west and the Pacific States.
What would you consider Missouri, Iowa and the parts of eastern midwest that aren't near the Great Lakes?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
What would you consider Missouri, Iowa and the parts of eastern midwest that aren't near the Great Lakes?
\

Missouri is probably the closest you could get to being a northern, western, eastern, southern state all in one.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
\

Missouri is probably the closest you could get to being a northern, western, eastern, southern state all in one.
Well I would agree, but there is no Northern culture in Missouri what-so-ever. I used to live near Northern MO and even they had a very Southern Drawl.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
\

I agree!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
\

Geographically and possibly going back throughout all of its history, I agree. Culturally, I do not. Missouri at least today doesn't really have any characteristics of a western state at all...it is definitely an Eastern state. However, for the past 100 years I would definitely say that Missouri fits in best as a Midwestern state. Especially agriculturally, industrially, climatalogically, and in general demographically as well. Politically, I think it is safe to say that is most similar to Indiana and Ohio, being a swing state.

Back to the point at hand. When I think of the Midwest, I generally tend to think of the Corn, Grain, and Wheat Belts (Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio). When I think of the South, I tend to think of states that legitimately seceded from the Union during the Civil War, plus Kentucky and I am also willing to include Oklahoma if need be. Anything west of the Great Plains to me is the west. Anything that touches Mexico to me is classifiable as Southwest. The Northeast I would include the Mid-Atlantic and New England. (minus Virginia and North Carolina, they are Southern).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.