U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 07:29 AM

8,795 posts, read 4,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
40-50K for two adults is pretty low in any part of the country unless you're in some middle of no where town with a population of like 50.

Regarding college, most schools now have fully online programs which might make sense for you guys.

If you can tolerate heat and humidity, Raleigh or Atlanta could work for you. They're not as walkable or dense as what you're use to though and they're heavily car dependent which was the biggest shock to me when I moved south.
Wife and I made about $70K pre tax total. After tax made about $50K total. Then add in gas about $2.50 cost us $30 each a week. For me have to drive 5 days a week 60 miles each day. Then add in utilities and food. Some times live pay check to pay check using credit cards to survive.

Researching Texas we make equal amount in CT after taxes taken out in CT. We calculated with gas, less travel distance, food, taxes, utilities, higher education, health care cost, child care, and so forth be saving about $10K to $20K a year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
AZ good pay and good COL overall. I got paid really well there. Lots of colleges in Phoenix. Rents aren't bad in certain areas. You'd have to look at outside suburbs, Mesa, Tempe, Peoria, Glendale. Property taxes are generally lower. Hot as heck though in the summer months and late spring, early fall. Tucson, not sure about university there. I think rents very affordable though.

Texas has high property taxes, but I am not well acquainted w/ it.

Looked into Phoenix area rents did seem high for what the pay was. It was less than some Texas jobs I found. However, did find a few job's.

Texas property taxes aren't too much of a concern. Where concurrently live can pay $10K tyo $12K on a $150K house. In other town's where I live can pay $6000 for a $200K house. Then add in $1200 in car taxes yearly think wife and I paid total close to $2K in car taxes this year.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Generally speaking, Midland cities (e.g., Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Dallas-Fort Worth, etc.) offer the best income-to-COL ratio in the US. Additionally, Midland cities tend to be less transient and more "homegrown" than the classic Sun Belt cities, such as Las Vegas, Orlando and Tampa, for example, so there is a greater sense of community and social support in the Midland that will likely better assist you and your family in getting established, especially if you're open to joining a church and/or other community-based organizations.
Looked at Columbus Ohio...was turned off with rent cost and pay I found. Have to give it another look. Been looking at Louisville found maybe 1 job so far in my field. Haven't found much in Cincinnati, but will give it another look.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 AM

For my wife and I we are looking at 3 things when it comes to States: offers most rentals under $1,000 for 1 bdrm, inexpensive college tuition/large selection of higher education in one area, and offers up the most job opportunities. Right now trying to be independent while establishing our career. Once we do that can be more flexible and open to move and provide a better life for our family.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:39 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
For my wife and I we are looking at 3 things when it comes to States: offers most rentals under $1,000 for 1 bdrm, inexpensive college tuition/large selection of higher education in one area, and offers up the most job opportunities. Right now trying to be independent while establishing our career. Once we do that can be more flexible and open to move and provide a better life for our family.
That's a combination that is going to be very hard to find. You might need to compromise one of those things in favor of the others.

Inexpensive+large selection of high education is not really something America offers in general. Try looking into the neighboring states? New York/Pennsylvania, maybe even New Jersey. You can find decent rent in NY state if you're willing to drive for work.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Texas and few other States hit that mark. After living a year on Texas higher education is about $20K to $30K cheaper.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 PM

1,011 posts, read 639,316 times
Quote:
Looked at Columbus Ohio...was turned off with rent cost and pay I found. Have to give it another look. Been looking at Louisville found maybe 1 job so far in my field. Haven't found much in Cincinnati, but will give it another look.
What do you do for work?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
Quote:
Wife and I made about $70K pre tax total. After tax made about $50K total. Then add in gas about $2.50 cost us $30 each a week. For me have to drive 5 days a week 60 miles each day. Then add in utilities and food. Some times live pay check to pay check using credit cards to survive.

Researching Texas we make equal amount in CT after taxes taken out in CT. We calculated with gas, less travel distance, food, taxes, utilities, higher education, health care cost, child care, and so forth be saving about $10K to $20K a year.
$10-20k seems high. Like if gas is $0.50 per gallon more expensive and you buy 25 gallons a week its $650. Which can buy you a TV, but it's not 10 grand. Even food taxes and utilities what is that another $650 each? Higher ed, you can send you're kid to Rice and it will be expensive.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:59 AM

1,267 posts, read 746,831 times
Quote:

Ah ok, so you're already use to long commutes. Texas would definitely be a good spot for you. I lived in Austin and it was a fantastic change of pace. Gas there was $1.99 most of the time. Roads are in a lot better shape than what you're use to in CT. I'd take the summer Texas heat over the long, cold, wet Northeastern winters any day.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
What do you do for work?
Psychiatric Technician sometimes called Mental Health Technician. Pay varies across the State's. Only place has some uniformity is California where you have to have training as an LVN. Pay varies like in Ohio usually $15 am hour. CT $12.50 to 20 an hour. Texas minimum wage to $18 an hour. Florida saw mostly minimum wage. North Carolina was similisr to Texas with smaller job opportunities. Arizona and Nevada about $12 to $16 an hour.

Wife is an LPN. With research in Texas she makes close to what she makes in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or