U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 PM

1,454 posts, read 3,941,598 times

Advertisements

Some background: I was born and raised in northern Minnesota, but I moved out to the Phoenix area about 8 years ago. Though there's plenty I do like about the state and area, I realized in my time here that it is not a forever-place for me. In that time, I've realized that I really can't handle extreme weather well of any kind for an extended period of time - whether it be extreme cold or extreme heat. I've also found that I miss lakes, rivers, trees, greenery, non-stucco homes, clouds, rain, etc. I'm a single late 20's male who's looking for his place in this large country.

I haven't visited the Virginia Beach area yet, though I plan to in the spring. Based on preliminary research, it seems to tick a lot of boxes - some snow in the winters, lots of greenery, lots of water around, weather that's not too extreme for too long of a time in either direction, and close to a lot of history and culture.

However, the dilemma I have is that Minnesota is my home state. I do love it a lot, but I'm not sure I could do entire winters there anymore. As I sit here on an 80 degree not minding the few days of higher than average temperatures, I still do wish for some kind of winter. A change of seasons is welcome.

Is there anyone that has experience living in both areas that can give their input? Or one or the other? If you need me to answer more questions to determine what potentially I could be happiest with, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:54 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,207 times
Virginia Beach definitely still has winters, even if mild by Minnesota standards. I live in Washington DC and I think the winters are quite noticeable (I hate winters). There's generally little snow but temperatures in the 30s are common in December/January.

Richmond is generally 5 degrees warmer than DC and Virginia Beach probably 7 degrees warmer, so winter is nicer than in DC. But Virginia Beach definitely still experiences it.

You have to go into the southern North Carolina coast to start "losing" Winter in my opinion. It's why Virginia Beach isn't booming to the extent of, say, Myrtle Beach, Charleston or Savannah. It's too far north to be for permanent snowbirds.

If your idea of winter is snow, however, than Virginia Beach might disappoint.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Virginia Beach definitely still has winters, even if mild by Minnesota standards. I live in Washington DC and I think the winters are quite noticeable (I hate winters). There's generally little snow but temperatures in the 30s are common in December/January.

Richmond is generally 5 degrees warmer than DC and Virginia Beach probably 7 degrees warmer, so winter is nicer than in DC. But Virginia Beach definitely still experiences it.

You have to go into the southern North Carolina coast to start "losing" Winter in my opinion. It's why Virginia Beach isn't booming to the extent of, say, Myrtle Beach, Charleston or Savannah. It's too far north to be for permanent snowbirds.

If your idea of winter is snow, however, than Virginia Beach might disappoint.
I appreciate the thought out response. What is it about the DC winters that you don't like? Are they a little too cold for your liking?

As I mentioned in my original post, I've lived in the Phoenix area for 8 years, and at first it was my dream to get away from snow and cold. But as the years have gone on, it's started to feel soul-less in more ways than one. I remember some of my happiest times in my childhood were being warm inside and looking outside onto the snow on the ground outside. Perhaps it's nostalgia that makes me feel that way, and I love the idea. Which is why I'm so hesitant to consider going back to Minnesota permanently. I love nearly everything about Minnesota and am so comfortable there - it's just the winters are brutal.

I like the idea of being within a half hour of the ocean. I hear that more snow falls in the winter the further inland you are in the Virginia Beach area, so that's nice to know.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:06 AM

1,577 posts, read 981,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Virginia Beach definitely still has winters, even if mild by Minnesota standards..

..go into the southern North Carolina coast to start "losing" Winter in my opinion. It's why Virginia Beach isn't booming to the extent of, say, Myrtle Beach, Charleston or Savannah..
Mani,
Agreed, Va Beach winters are relatively mild by Minnesota standards, but cold when compared to deeper Sun Belt. So much moisture in eastern Virginia, it can make the winter air kinda bone-chilling.

I'm not sure what u mean by VB not being booming like the other southeast cities u listed (?) VB has a population of 450,000. Which is significantly more than Charleston, Savannah, & Myrtle Beach combined. If u mean recent, sudden growth I guess that's true. VB population blew up in the 70s & early 80s.. and I think more from military edict, than personal preferences (?)
Peace

Old 03-13-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Mani,
Agreed, Va Beach winters are relatively mild by Minnesota standards, but cold when compared to deeper Sun Belt. So much moisture in eastern Virginia, it can make the winter air kinda bone-chilling.
I've accepted that basically anywhere I go in the US (minus the southern half of Florida and coastal southern California) will have colder winters than where I live in the Phoenix area right now. Also, I've realized that most places will have warmer winters than Minnesota, so that's a plus.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 AM

2,514 posts, read 2,265,374 times
I don't know VA Beach too well but aren't they going through a bit an economic issue due to the military leaving or something of the sorts?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I don't know VA Beach too well but aren't they going through a bit an economic issue due to the military leaving or something of the sorts?
The military is not leaving the Hampton Roads area as it is THE major military installation on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or