U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,306,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Well thatís why itís a misconception. Have you been to the Rockaways I think the beaches there are fine.

But I agree that beachís in NYC are mostly for locals all though I have seen tourist wanting to surf at the Rockaways before.
On the other end of things, while we all agree that Coney Island is not the best beach, it does see a lot of tourists and itís probably the only beach in NYC that has a real draw to tourists and outsiders. Say what you want about Coney Island, but thereís no denying that it is a very unique place with a lot to do and see.

Back in the day (50+ years ago), lots of people actually did visit NYC for Coney Island from all over America. Sure itís not what it used to be, but it has been slowly improving in recent years. This article from 2012 (the most recent number that I could find) claims Coney Island saw just under 60,000 tourists in 2011, and was trending upward. Iím not sure what the numbers were in the 2017 season, but itís worth noting that this is before the Thunderbolt (the new roller coaster) was built in 2014, as well as a few other new rides. Not to mention the new giant ampitheater on the boardwalk in 2016, and other things, combined with the fact that tourists love Brooklyn now all of the sudden, Iíd think that thereís a very good possibility that those numbers have gone up since then.
Tourists flock to Coney Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Again, not questioning that these are neat or maybe even popular local destinations, but I'm not impressed. 14 miles of public beaches isn't that much considering Chicago has 28 miles of beaches and isn't an island.
You are right. Chicago is not on an island. It is on a very long, straight, shallow stretch of an inland sea. Basically the perfect condition for a long sandy beach.

NYC is mostly a rocky archipelago with the exception of the southern coast of Long Island which is a terminal moraine, i.e. a long, straight, shallow stretch of the ocean. Basically the perfect condition for a long sandy beach.

tl;dr where NYC can have long sandy beaches, it has long sandy beaches.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:10 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,489,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well as you say, the Northeast and California always being "handed things" is a major misconception right there. These states, such as New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania either built the highways, railroads, canals, bridges etc. in their borders or they got together the private interests that did.

For instance, your from Cleveland so I guess you know the importance of the Erie Canal to your city. And it was built by New York State, NOT by the Federal government. To this day New York is still running the Erie Canal and several other canals.

In contrast there are other states in this country who won't build a thing, not even a highway, unless the Federal government pays for it. Then they brag about their low state taxes. Those are the real states being "handed things".

And your misconception is only the Northeast and California is "the Coast" I live three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and I don't live anywhere the Northeast or California. The East coast runs from Maine to Florida.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:23 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,308,744 times
I live in south Florida and people think that it NEVER gets cold here, but it can....and does.... Granted, not for very long, but it does happen, especially after a particularly strong cold front passes through...we can get lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s in Dec, Jan, Feb....

Old 03-19-2018, 02:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,905,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And your misconception is only the Northeast and California is "the Coast" I live three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and I don't live anywhere the Northeast or California. The East coast runs from Maine to Florida.
Talk about misconceptions, You really don't think I know that? In fact I have said just that on other threads.

I was responding to the OP. If you read it, you will see him saying things like the "media's friend" and "wastelands" beyond the Atlantic and Pacific". Especially with a term like "the media's friend", I doubt he was talking about the Southeast coast.

Btw, the the coast does not stop at Florida either.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,489,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Talk about misconceptions, You really don't think I know that? In fact I have said just that on other threads.

I was responding to the OP. If you read it, you will see him saying things like the "media's friend" and "wastelands" beyond the Atlantic and Pacific". Especially with a term like "the media's friend", I doubt he was talking about the Southeast coast.

Btw, the the coast does not stop at Florida either.
OK Fair enough but we have many on here that think the NE is the coast, Ignorance. And I said the "East coast" runs from Maine to Florida. Is that not right?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,905,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
OK Fair enough but we have many on here that think the NE is the coast, Ignorance. And I said the "East coast" runs from Maine to Florida. Is that not right?
Yes, that is right. And I have said that on other threads when the subject came up.

But like I said, I do not think the OP was talking about the South when he was talking about favorites of the media.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:42 AM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
Many people aren't aware of how much swampy coastline there in here in the Gulf Coast especially in Louisiana and Texas. Louisiana has very few sandy beaches and the majority of the coast is marshland. Most people only think of sandy beaches or rocky coasts like parts of California.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:09 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,279,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Many people aren't aware of how much swampy coastline there in here in the Gulf Coast especially in Louisiana and Texas. Louisiana has very few sandy beaches and the majority of the coast is marshland. Most people only think of sandy beaches or rocky coasts like parts of California.
The Texas coastline is only swampy in the area from the LA stateline to the eastern end of Galveston Bay. The rest of the coast is your traditional marsh fronted by barrier island sandy beaches.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-24-2018 at 04:19 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The Texas coastline is only swampy in the area from the LA stateline to the eastern end of Galveston Bay. The rest of the coast is your traditional marsh fronted by barrier island sandy beaches.

that also describes 75% of the Jersey coast line

seems like the churn of gulf from the Mississippi delta to Galveston bay has some whacky coast, south of that is very nice in Tx

I think about the Tx coast this way, its very nice but no reason to go there from where I am as cvould get to better beaches in FL (atlantic and Gulf and cheaper, flights are so cheap to FLA from these parts of the NE)

Would almost compare them to Jersey beaches in that sense, they are very nice (albeit way to crowded) so unless the weekend warrior form an hour away probably not going to make the trip

one thing of interest is the natural aquifer in S Jersey, a pretty impressive geographic phenomenon

over 3,000 sq miles amid the most populated region in the country

http://www.nj.gov/pinelands/infor/fa...ds%20Facts.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/pine/index.htm

images, might surprise some

https://www.google.com/search?q=nj+p...w=1366&bih=643
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.