U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
1,242 posts, read 638,300 times
Reputation: 745

Advertisements

We all know that there are misconceptions of cities, states or regions. There are a lot of misconceptions of the Coasts. I have my misconceptions of the coasts my misconceptions were that they have always been handed things, their the media's best friend and people think that anything beyond the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans are the wastelands. So, what are the misconceptions of the Coasts, East and/or West? Whether you're a lifelong resident, transplant, transient or a former resident tell me the misconceptions and how and/or why things are not what they seem.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 03-13-2018 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,013 posts, read 2,735,231 times
Reputation: 6945
The water at the beach is always warm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Reputation: 7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The water at the beach is always warm?


ha or that its always sunny in Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
We all know that there are misconceptions of cities, states or regions. There are a lot of misconceptions of the Coasts. I have my misconceptions of the coasts my misconceptions were that they have always been handed things, their the media's best friend and people think that anything beyond the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans are the wastelands. So, what are the misconceptions of the Coasts? Whether you're a lifelong resident, transplant, transient or a former resident tell me the misconceptions and how and/or why things are not what they seem.
Well as you say, the Northeast and California always being "handed things" is a major misconception right there. These states, such as New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania either built the highways, railroads, canals, bridges etc. in their borders or they got together the private interests that did.

For instance, your from Cleveland so I guess you know the importance of the Erie Canal to your city. And it was built by New York State, NOT by the Federal government. To this day New York is still running the Erie Canal and several other canals.

In contrast there are other states in this country who won't build a thing, not even a highway, unless the Federal government pays for it. Then they brag about their low state taxes. Those are the real states being "handed things".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 03:20 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The water at the beach is always warm?
This x100

When I moved to the Bay Area, I had never visited the Pacific Ocean before, and boy was running & jumping in a terrible idea. Itís like 50ish degrees all the time here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Bellevue WA
56 posts, read 41,752 times
Reputation: 74
I feel like when people think of "coastal California" they think of warm weather and warm water, palm trees, pristine white sandy beaches. And that everyone is rich and drives a Maserati. 1/2-3/4 of the state's coast is very cold water, pretty cool weather with fog, and pebble/gravel beaches.

Where I lived in Morro Bay, its cold, foggy, and smells like seaweed (which is actually my favorite). Everyone I was friends with lived in a camper, trailer home, or boat like I did at the time. If you go even further north many beaches loose their sand and have cliffs and pebbles. Most of Southern California's beaches are dirty with sewer lines running right into the water you're surfing or swimming in. And crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 04:00 PM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Reputation: 7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidneyGee View Post
I feel like when people think of "coastal California" they think of warm weather and warm water, palm trees, pristine white sandy beaches. And that everyone is rich and drives a Maserati. 1/2-3/4 of the state's coast is very cold water, pretty cool weather with fog, and pebble/gravel beaches.

Where I lived in Morro Bay, its cold, foggy, and smells like seaweed (which is actually my favorite). Everyone I was friends with lived in a camper, trailer home, or boat like I did at the time. If you go even further north many beaches loose their sand and have cliffs and pebbles. Most of Southern California's beaches are dirty with sewer lines running right into the water you're surfing or swimming in. And crowded.


Morro Bay has that rock that looks like it fell from space




another thing that surprised me along that part of the coast was the number of oil rigs




pretty area though




also could make a sort of separate argument (and you waste lines got me thinking as am at times surprised by the number and size of those in parts of Cali)


People might be surprised how clean and warm the ocean can be even in NJ, also mile after mile of nice sandy beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,013 posts, read 2,735,231 times
Reputation: 6945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
This x100

When I moved to the Bay Area, I had never visited the Pacific Ocean before, and boy was running & jumping in a terrible idea. Itís like 50ish degrees all the time here
I once tried going swimming in Puget Sound. Forget it. And it was mid-summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 05:06 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I once tried going swimming in Puget Sound. Forget it. And it was mid-summer!
I was in Half Moon Bay my first time, and it was also summer. After I jumped in & froze, checked the water temp.and it was 53 degrees.

Lake Tahoe is warmer than that in September!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 PM
 
29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Reputation: 18490
I don't think many people realize that the Rust Belt actually extends to the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top